How would you pronounce Clea?

See the results of this poll: How do you say the name?

Respondents: 27 (This poll is closed)

• CLAY-uh : 12 (44%)
  • CLEE-uh: 15 (56%)

I’ve lived all around the east coast of the US, and I’ve always ever heard CLEE-uh

I say CLEE-ah. I’m from the Northeast US.

[name_m]CLAY[/name_m]-ah. [name_f]Canada[/name_f].

I’m from NY, and my initial thought is Clee-UH (like [name_f]Cleo[/name_f] with an A or [name_f]Rhea[/name_f]/[name_f]Thea[/name_f]) but:

There’s only a slight difference between the two with my accent, and if I heard it said [name_m]Clay[/name_m]-UH I wouldn’t think twice and would start saying it that way.

Im from [name_u]California[/name_u] and I would say [name_m]CLAY[/name_m]-uh. I heard this in a TV show and they said it that way, but if I hadn’t heard it there, my intuitive pronunciation would be CLEE-uh.

My first thought was CLEE-uh, like how I would pronounce [name_f]Lea/name_f. But a split second later I thought oh maybe [name_m]CLAY[/name_m]-uh. I’ve never met or heard of anyone with this name, so I can see it going either way. I’m from (pretty much everywhere in the) US.

[name_m]CLAY[/name_m]-uh is the only pronunciation I’ve ever heard. Mid-Atlantic US

Clee-uh. I’m in Toronto. :slight_smile:

[name_m]CLAY[/name_m]-uh. I’m Australian and that’s the only way I’ve ever seen the pronunciation for it written.

Gosh, it’s so divided, seems like it could legitimately go either way. Thanks for the feedback everyone! I think it’s time now for a different poll.