How would you pronounce Leif?

[name]Hi[/name] there,

We’re due in 3 weeks and have yet to pick a boys’ name (didn’t find out gender.)

We are considering using [name]Leif[/name] for a first name but I was wondering how you all would pronounce it if you were say a teacher reading roll.

The official pronunciation is [name]LAY[/name]-F but we want to call him [name]LEAF[/name] and spell it [name]Leif[/name].

Middles would be either:

[name]Leif[/name] [name]Glenn[/name] (after my dad)
[name]Leif[/name] [name]Edwin[/name] (after his grandfather)

Thoughts?

I actually knew a [name]Leif[/name] in high school!

He pronounced it lay-f. I’m not a teacher, but I think that I would still pronounce it lay-f because of the lei part in [name]Leif[/name].

I like [name]Leif[/name] [name]Edwin[/name]!

Phonetically Lei=[name]LAY[/name] a la the correct pronounciation of [name]Leif[/name].
However, when I look at the name, I do pronounce it [name]LEAF[/name]. If you call him [name]Leif[/name] as the [name]Leaf[/name] prn and introduce him as this, I see no problem!

When I see [name]Leif[/name] I think of the leaf pronunciation, it seems others do not.
I don’t think there’s too much of a problem though

And another vote for [name]Leif[/name] [name]Edwin[/name]!

So why not spell it the way you want it pronounced? I really don’t like intentional mispronunciations, it takes away from a beautiful name.

If you want “[name]Leaf[/name]” then spell it that way.

I think Life! Prn [name]Leaf[/name] is fine.

[name]Leif[/name] [name]Glenn[/name] is nice to honor his dad, but I think the 1-1 rhythm is choppy and with the prn [name]Leaf[/name] it sounds kind of literal.

[name]Leif[/name] [name]Edwin[/name] gets my vote for that reason.

In [name]German[/name] it’s pronounced like “Life”. It’s a nice name!

Of your choices, I like [name]Leif[/name] [name]Edwin[/name]. Congrats and good luck!

I would have pronounced it like [name]Leaf[/name] because for some reason I thought that was the original pronunciation. Also the Lei reminds me of [name]Leigh[/name] and the way that is pronounced [name]Lee[/name] not [name]Lay[/name].

Because I know it is a Scandinavian name, the “lei” part doesn’t make me think [name]Lee[/name] like it does with English language names. I am a strong believer that when you use names from other cultures, you should pronounce them correctly.

Also [name]Leif[/name] Schriber(sp?) is a fairly well known actor so a lot of adults would say Layf not [name]Leaf[/name].

I pronounce it “LAYF” like former teen idol [name]Leif[/name] [name]Garrett[/name]. I know in some parts of Scandinavia and Germany it’s pronounced like “LIFE”. I don’t think there is any region of Scandinavia where it’s pronounced “[name]LEAF[/name]”. The girls name [name]Liv[/name] is pronounced “LEEV”.

I would’ve thought it was pronounced leaf

My moms cousin pronounces it lay-f so that’s how I pronounce it, but I know a kid who’s name is [name]Leif[/name] pronounced leaf so it could go either way, but more likely lay-f

I’ve known two Leifs: one who pronounced it ‘Life’ and one who pronounced it ‘[name]Leaf[/name]’. If I were a teacher, I’d just confirm with the child which pronunciation he used. No big deal :slight_smile:

[name]Leif[/name] [name]Ericson[/name] and his possible connection to the Viking settlement at L’[name]Anse[/name] aux [name]Meadow[/name] in Newfoundland is widely taught in Canadian schools. Usually the name is pronounced ‘[name]Leaf[/name]’ in that context (there might be a classic 70s NFB clip on YouTube to verify this…).

I always encourage people to adapt and not be strict about the pronunciation of names from different cultures, perhaps in particular Scandinavian names since I know there are many beauties and many of them are difficult to get right.
[name]Leif[/name] in Scandinavia is pronounced like LIFE. This is easy for you to pronounce, so I don’t like changing it to ‘leaf’. If you want [name]Leaf[/name] you should use [name]Leaf[/name], it’s a very sweet nature name ^^

Why not just spell it [name]Leaf[/name]?

I think [name]Leaf[/name] as well!

Lol, I always thought his name was pronounced [name]Leaf[/name].

I can see how it’s normally Layf, but in English we normally say “ei” as “ee”, not “ay”, so I think that most people would go with [name]Leaf[/name].

According to hear you are right in saying “layf”. The famous [name]Leif[/name] Eriksson I had always heard it as “leaf”.

I would pronounce it [name]LEAF[/name] if I saw it. I knew a [name]Leif[/name] and he pronounced it that way too! If it is after a family member I would go for it! A few might pronounce it wrong but after a time or two it wouldn’t be a big deal; after all it is after a loved one! :).