How would you pronounce Xavi

I’m in an area in the US that has a large Spanish speaking population. Unfortunately for me, I have to separate the two languages quite often, so one language doesn’t always extend over to the other. With that in mind, I would probably use zah-vee in one setting and haw-vee in another.

1 Like

US here and I say haw-vee. Like previous post said [name_m]Javier[/name_m] and [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] have the same pronunciation in my region.

Zave-ee ( rhymes with have for the first syllable) for me in the uk

1 Like

I would pronounce it like [name_f]Savvy[/name_f].

My first thought was Zah-vee, but I might also pronounce it Zay-vee.

I’d say Zaavi, I’m in the US

I’m from Spain. SHA-bee or CHA-bee

1 Like

When I first skimmed over the title I read it as zah-vee, but when I read it again I thought zay-vee. Judging by the mixed comments, I’d say that you could really go with either.

This is the order I’d guess in (though really I’d just ask!)

1. Hah-vee
  2. Zah-vee
  3. Zay-vee
    I’m from the US—the first prononciation is the only one I’ve encountered in real life.

Shah-vee. It’s the pronunciation I hear the most and honestly the only version I have ever used but

Hah-vee is also quite common
Sah-vee also happens sometimes

I’m from the US and definitely don’t have a kiwi accent, but I would pronounce it Zah-vi, as well. lol I also considered Shah-vee.

I’d rhyme it with savvy unless I knew it was a nickname for [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], in which case I’d say Zay-vee

1 Like

I’m in southern [name_f]Canada[/name_f] and my instinct was Zay-vee, kind of assuming it was short for [name_m]Xavier[/name_m]. However, the beauty of names like this is that if people get it wrong you’ll only have to correct them once and they’ll get it! It’s such a cute name :two_hearts:

Eks-ay-vee

Just looking at it without knowing it’s a nickname to [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], I would pronounce it like [name_f]Savvy[/name_f] with a Z. But if you told me it was a nickname for [name_m]Xavier[/name_m], I would pronounce it Zay-vee. I’m from the southern US.

American here… I’d say ZAY-vee

My daughter has a classmate by this name (in the USA), who pronounces it CHAH-bee… like chubby with an “a.” Boy, it took me forever to get the spelling down.

I would pronounce it Zavvy (like savvy but with a z) at first glance.

Pacific Canada

ZAY-vee
(American)

Zay-vee
Zah-Vee
Hah-vee
[name_f]Ave[/name_f]-ee

Specifically I would ask someone how he pronounced it