How would you shorten this name?

Hello, my husband and I are strongly considering the family name [name]Lavinia[/name] for our little girl due in [name]December[/name]… First of all, what do you think of it and how would you shorten it?

Thanks so much for your input!!

I love the name [name]Lavinia[/name]. It’s on my list. :slight_smile:

However, I’m really not sure on how to shorten in. I’m thinking either [name]Liv[/name] or [name]Vin[/name] would work.

Possible nn’s for [name]Lavinia[/name] (some more obvious than others):

[name]Liv[/name]*** my choice
[name]Lia[/name]
[name]Ava[/name]
[name]Avi[/name]
[name]Lin[/name]
[name]Lala[/name]
[name]Lana[/name]
[name]Viv[/name]
[name]Vinny[/name]
[name]Nia[/name]

I love the name [name]Lavinia[/name]! It’s so classic and genteel.

Literary aside: have you read [name]Ursula[/name] K. [name]Le[/name] Guin’s novel, [name]Lavinia[/name]? It’s a gorgeous book.

On topic, I think [name]Vinnie[/name] would be a cute nn.

I know, so many ways to shorten it! But we are in a minor pickle: My husbands aunt is named [name]Liz[/name], and her daughter is [name]Quinn[/name] (nn Quinny). So [name]Liv[/name] sounds like [name]Liz[/name] with a lisp… and [name]Vin[/name] sounds like [name]Quinn[/name], etc… [name]Do[/name] you think this is a problem? Esp. The [name]Liv[/name]/[name]Liz[/name] thing? Our daughter and Aunt [name]Liz[/name] would have the same last name, too… Too close?

Also: I am going to buy that book soon! I heard an interview with the author on NPR a while back… I majored in Ancient Greece/[name]Rome[/name] in college, so I think it will be right up my alley.

Thanks so much!

I wouldn’t shy away from it because of Aunt [name]Liz[/name]. My favorites are [name]Liv[/name] or [name]Viv[/name]–[name]Livvy[/name] or [name]Vivi[/name] too.

Aw, [name]Livvy[/name] is cute!

Oh, and I agree, I wouldn’t let an Aunt [name]Liz[/name] hold me back from using [name]Liv[/name].

[name]Liv[/name] would be my favourite, but there is also [name]Lia[/name] :slight_smile:

I think that [name]Lavinia[/name] is beautiful, too! I love the nn [name]Liv[/name], and I personally don’t think I’d avoid using it due to aunt [name]Liz[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Ooh, I love [name]Lavinia[/name]! I like all of the nickname possibilities, especially [name]Livvy[/name]. I think it’s fine with an aunt named [name]Liz[/name].

[name]Livia[/name] is pretty and [name]Greco[/name]-[name]Roman[/name] in feel too for a nn :smiley:

Livi (liv-ee) was the first nickname that came to mind. But I also love [name]Livia[/name]. [name]Lavinia[/name] is a beautiful name!

My Aunty [name]Vin[/name] was a [name]Lavinia[/name] and it suited her to a “t”. I would only consider [name]Vin[/name] as a nn.

She was a rather dynamic, outspoken person.

[name]Liv[/name], [name]Livvy[/name], or [name]Vinnie[/name].

All have their charms, I think. :slight_smile: