hubby chose Roxanna but im having doubts...

my husband finally decided on a name and it is from my list…but now im unsure…he decided on [name]Roxana[/name] well actually he says he prefers it spelt [name]Roxanna[/name]. i originally put the name on my list because i thought it sounded feminine yet fun and strong at the same time…and i like it w/my sons name [name]Alexander[/name]…plus nn’s alex & roxy are cute…but i noticed on the SSA list the name doesnt even rank…at all…it was only popular between the 50’s and 80’s…my sons name is more on the popular side…im worried that people will think her name is weird since no one else has named their baby [name]Roxanna[/name] in decades…also my moms dog’s name is [name]Roxy[/name] so does this continue to ruin the name? please help!

Neither of the names that my husband and I have narrowed our list down to are on the top 1000 list either. I don’t mind it, because I know that most likely I’m not going to run into another little girl with that name. I prefer this. My son’s name is [name]Jacob[/name] - obviously #1 for years!!! I HATE (i really can’t emphasize how much i hate it) hearing his name all the time. My daughter is [name]Alanna[/name] - not very popular, but still on the 1000 list. I enjoy the fact that we don’t hear her name every time we go into a public place! And that is exactly what we wanted with our next daughter. Well, we finally found 2 names we really like, and neither of them are on the 1000 list. One name, [name]Rosaelia[/name], I never heard of before. The other [name]Rozlin[/name], I have, and I’ve already had 2 people comment on how it sounds “old”. But “old” is starting to come back in, and we really like these names. I like the fact that we won’t be hearing too many other [name]Rozlin[/name]'s or [name]Rosaelia[/name]'s.
I hope this helps.

Oh, I fogot to comment on the dog thing. It only ruins it for you if you are bothered by it. 20 years from now [name]Roxy[/name] the dog won’t be in the picture anymore. Yes there will be memories, but not too many people are going to connect the two names. I know someone who loved the name [name]Chloe[/name] so much that she named 2 of her dogs [name]Chloe[/name], then finally her daughter when she had her! So, like I said, it only ruins it for you if you are bothered by it.

I personally think the dog thing is a bit weird…I’m never naming a child [name]Cooper[/name] or [name]Findlay[/name] because those are my (my parents’) dogs’ names…

About [name]Roxanna[/name] being, well, unpopular…I don’t think there is anything wrong with that if you love the name and think it is pretty. For some names, there is a reason they haven’t been used in decades - they aren’t attractive names. One, in my opinion, that fits the bill on that account, is [name]Mabel[/name]. I don’t really like [name]Roxanna[/name], because I hate [name]Roxanne[/name] with a passion (seems so dated, 80s housewife), but if you like it, then go for it!

If not, I think that [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Rhea[/name], both Greek names, would make a really cute pair! [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Rhea[/name]? I don’t know if that suits your style or not… BUT, [name]Roxanna[/name] means “dawn,” so if you like that meaning, you could do [name]Rhea[/name] [name]Sahara[/name] (Arabic for “dawn”). Or, better still, [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Aurora[/name] (Latin, “goddess of [name]Dawn[/name]”), [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Rory[/name]! [name]Rory[/name] has the same sound as [name]Roxy[/name], right?

While [name]Roxanne[/name] peaked in the 50’s and then enjoyed a mini-resurgence in the 80’s and has practically died out since, making it feel dated, [name]Roxana[/name] has actually been increasing again recently. It flashed on the bottom of the SSA list in 2001, and I have found it to be somewhat common among Latina girls, making it feel more current and giving it the potential to increase more (although it fell off the chart again in 2005). [name]Roxana[/name] also more successfully avoids the red-light entrepreneur connection engendered by the Police song. Finally, [name]Roxana[/name] is a classic name, just like [name]Alexander[/name]. It may not be popular now, but I think it fits with other classic names because of its history and its familiarity.

I think [name]Roxana[/name] is cool. The second n doesn’t make it look nicer to me. Names that end in -ana or -anna, I think, helps make this name fit in with the trends, while it stands out - it is quite unusual but not in a shocking way. It’s also close to a [name]Rose[/name] name without being [name]Rosanna[/name] (like the Toto song? Or [name]Roseanne[/name] - the comedienne and sitcom star, or [name]Roseanne[/name] Roseannadanna). Variations by a letter or two often improve the image of a name - sometimes makes it more fashionable, or avoids a direct reference, or just a completely different sound.

I have to disagree with previous poster who says names that aren’t in style right now because they are bad - that’s obviously untrue. Most of us are adults with names that nobody uses anymore. Because they are bad? No, they just aren’t the current flavor of preference. I think [name]Roxana[/name] or [name]Roxanna[/name] really isn’t so different from [name]Liliana[/name] or [name]Julianna[/name], while being strikingly different because nobody else seems to have thought of it first.

It has definite presence and strength of assimilating with other -ana/-anna names in style, and being a [name]Roxy[/name] instead of another [name]Lily[/name]. FYI - nobody liked the name [name]Lily[/name] for ages but that came back in style. [name]Roxana[/name] seems bold because it sounds and looks bold. [name]Liliana[/name] is pretty, but it sounds delicate - just because it’s overwhelmingly preferred now doesn’t mean it’s better. Names get revived out of nowhere all the time and people like them a lot, once it has a face.

I think the difference between [name]Roxana[/name] and [name]Roxanna[/name] is that it sounds like your husband wants people to recognize it, or he feels more balanced there, as Rox-anna and not Rox-ahna. Perhaps this is why I like one n - it just looks like how it’s supposed to be spelled and I prefer the -ahna pronunciation. [name]Roxana[/name] can be pronounced just like [name]Roxanna[/name]. The ‘ah’ sound is more exotic. However, ana is prn anna or ahna, anna is just anna.

Besides which, I had written before, this woman I knew who carried this name, and I loved her accent when she said her name. I loved her accent, period, but I loved how she said names and her voice. I’m building it up too much! This is probably a name that wouldn’t have even caught my radar if I hadn’t met her, but now I love it. I don’t know what my feelings would be had you presented this to us and I hadn’t met her or her name were something else. Like I said, this name is very likable when someone you know actually has it than you might imagine otherwise.

As for the dog thing - I’m generally against people names for animals now, especially since they can be called anything and not made fun of, but that it does have the tendency to use up a name you liked (or someone did it without asking you). I can understand it, totally, though. We love names, we love our pets, and where would all the excess of names we love get to go?

[name]Roxy[/name] is a sassy yet friendly kind of name for a pet, and underused on humans so it seems like it’s in a safe territory. Unfortunately, your mom picked the same name for her dog you ended up considering for your baby. Kind of unusual coincidence there. Since the dog is [name]Roxy[/name], and the name used would be [name]Roxana[/name] or [name]Roxanna[/name], and only called [name]Roxy[/name], it will be established that she has a real name and not the same as the dog. I don’t know what I would do there. I think it’s ok - does your mom live close to you?

This name is so appealing to me, and I could go on, but I won’t. I just wanted to affirm its appeal to you, being that its lack of popularity has you wondering if it’s any good.

If you are instead looking for a reason not to go ahead, I don’t blame you for looking for another name if you really don’t think it’s the one, while your DH has just fallen for it. [name]Both[/name] of you have to like it, that’s my final thought.

[name]Just[/name] to clarify, [name]Karen[/name], I didn’t say that ALL names that fall out of favor are bad names, I said that SOME are, which I still hold is true. Obviously, the pattern of naming and popularity changes with the changing styles of generations over time, and I think that is a great thing, for the most part. I also didn’t say that [name]Roxanna[/name]/[name]Roxana[/name] is a BAD name - I merely said I personally didn’t care for it and thus suggested alternatives. However, if both you and your husband love this name, poster, than go with it.

That is the most important thing. That [name]BOTH[/name] of you love the name. If you are having doubts, then maybe it ISN’T the name for your daughter, but it could still be a cute middle name! I think [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Roxanna[/name] would be cute.

I love [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Roxanna[/name]!

I see the name ranking low in the ssa list as a plus. The name is not common now but not odd where your child will have a hard time with it. I would much prefer names to be uncommon than the usual names. I find your choice [name]Roxana[/name] or [name]Roxanna[/name] to be Refreshing.

My best friend’s name is [name]Roxy[/name] [name]Joanna[/name], and I’ve always LOVED her name. She said that her parents wanted the middle name [name]Joanna[/name], so couldn’t use the full [name]Roxanna[/name]. I think of it has being timeless and spunky - definitely fits my friend well! I think you should stick with it!

I love [name]Roxana[/name]!

I love [name]Roxana[/name] too – and can even go to [name]Roxanna[/name] – and think [name]Roxy[/name] is adorable with [name]Alex[/name], as I think I said the first time around. I don’t think the fact that it’s less popular than [name]Alex[/name] is bothersome, as it’s a familiar name and definitely compatible with [name]Alex[/name]. But I have to say, I am bothered by the dog connection! I guess at first you thought this didn’t matter, but now when you’re thinking of it in reality, it’s looming larger? It feels to me that you have enough doubts about this choice that you should keep looking. If you end up settling on [name]Roxanna[/name]/[name]Roxy[/name], at least you will have thought through the alternatives.