Humphrey?

Is the name [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] unusable? Too out there for 2021? Are there any nicknames that make it more “suitable for every day use”? I’ve always loved the name but I’m not sure if it could be used on a real human child.

I think it’s usable!

[name_m]Huey[/name_m]
[name_u]Rey[/name_u]

1 Like

I honestly love it, but I worry about teasing due to the presence of “hump” in the name. It may be useable if you can think of a good nickname for him to go by, like [name_m]Hank[/name_m].

2 Likes

Maybe [name_m]Frey[/name_m] (Phrey)?

1 Like

Yeah the “hump” part is what gets me too. I really like [name_m]Hank[/name_m] and feel like it could work, though people might wonder why we didn’t just name him [name_m]Henry[/name_m] lol.

Sorry, but I don’t think it’s useable. [name_m]Just[/name_m] not ready for a comeback and TBH, I don’t think it has a pleasant sound combined with teasing potential which, obviously, we would try to avoid for our child.

2 Likes

I have to admit I do find it a bit clunky and unappealing. I don’t think it’s completely unusable though - it fits with other names that are coming back like [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_m]Albert[/name_m] and [name_u]Stanley[/name_u].

[name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] nn H, [name_m]Frey[/name_m] Phee, Huie

1 Like

I think it can be pulled off in a kid that exudes confidence but also that the teasing potential is really high

1 Like

I want to like it, but it does seem pretty old-fashioned to me and I would be concerned about the teasing potential. I suppose spelling it [name_m]Humfrey[/name_m] would get rid of the “hump” part, but you would run into the problem of people assuming it’s spelled [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m].

I can’t think of any nicknames other than those that have been suggested.

1 Like

I do think that [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] could fit in fairly seamlessly in certain parts of the UK. I can imagine some of the families I look after the children of might easily have a [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] along with their [name_m]Edward[/name_m] and [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]. It might be perceived as quite a well to do name here, which usually comes along with a bit of eccentricity. You will know best whether eyebrows would be raised in your social circles!
I do appreciate the sweetness of the name [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] myself! I agree with @choupette that using the spelling [name_m]Humfrey[/name_m] would remove hump teasing potential!
In case you like these and they’d cause you less concern, [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] reminds me of [name_m]Hobart[/name_m], [name_m]Bertram[/name_m], [name_m]Bertrand[/name_m], [name_m]Alfred[/name_m], [name_m]Wilfred[/name_m], [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_u]Howard[/name_u] (nn Howie) and [name_m]Harold[/name_m] (nn [name_u]Harry[/name_u] or Ollie).

2 Likes

I think it might raise a few eyebrows, but it depends on where you are who who you are around, of course. I second the nn ideas of [name_m]Hank[/name_m] and [name_m]Frey[/name_m]!

1 Like

I adore [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] and its beautiful meaning ‘peaceful warrior’ :). Maybe [name_m]Frey[/name_m] or [name_m]Fritz[/name_m] as a nickname?

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m] and I think in the right circumstances it’d be usable. Here in the UK I think you could get away with it.

That being said the hump part puts me off from using it but i still have it on my middle name list.

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Humphrey[/name_m]. I think it’s super cute. I added it to our list not too long ago and have gotten a lot of negative feedback about it. I’m not sure why people don’t like it so much! I feel like [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] can kind of be a nickname for it. [name_m]Humph[/name_m]? Not a ton of nickname potential but I picture using more of a family nickname like [name_m]Bud[/name_m] or Brother with it.

I’m in the US and I wouldn’t use it unfortunately. For me it would just lead too easily to teasing. However it might work in the UK?