Husband has very different styles for genders!

He is pretty agreeable with girls’ names. His taste is not trendy but it’s similar to mine. He suggests things like

[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]

and of course he agreed on [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Clementine[/name].

What goes with [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Matilda[/name], for boys?

I’ve found some I think are great in our family tree, things like

[name]Cyprien[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Leonidas[/name]
[name]Napoleon[/name]
[name]Barnabas[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Maximilien[/name]
and so on.

He wants to name a boy [name]Dante[/name] and call him [name]Deuce[/name]. His reasoning is that his name starts with D (actually his initials are DD), so it would be sort of after himself, plus we’re from New Orleans and there’s [name]Deuce[/name] McAllister. He also loves [name]Daunte[/name] Culpepper but I won’t let him spell it that way.

He gave our daughters old distingushed family names but he wants to name sons after football players? I don’t get it!

He says if I want we can name a boy after a hockey player instead, but I don’t think [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], and [name]Wayne[/name] sounds like a good sibset either.

So far we agree on [name]Anton[/name] and [name]Xavier[/name], but he’ll only use those if we use [name]Dante[/name] or [name]Deuce[/name] first. He thinks [name]Leonidas[/name] and [name]Barnabas[/name] are “cool for MIDDLE names”. Very adamant about being in the middle!

I’m very glad both were girls so far. Boys might still be nameless.

Perhaps you should try to let him use [name]Deuce[/name] as a nn for any D name you love. Although, if it were me, I wouldn’t want everyone to call my son [name]Deuce[/name]. Maybe it can be his special nn?

Hey! My husband likes the names [name]Esmeralda[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] for girls, but wants to name the boys after cars. CARS!! Like [name]Holden[/name] and [name]Falcon[/name]! (we’re Australian). It might just be a boy thing. My feeelings on this topic in general are that both of you should love the name, and if you don’t then that shouldn’t be the name given to your son. I agree with the previous poster, let him have [name]Deuce[/name] as a nn and choose a d name that you both like. But honestly, men sometimes…! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately he won’t agree to any other D name but his own, and I definitely don’t want a [name]Junior[/name].

I have to think about this some more … say, if ALL boys have a different style than girls, is that okay? As long as THEIR style is consistent? Or would that differentiate the genders too much?

If ALL boys have a different style than girls, is that okay? As long as THEIR style is consistent? Or would that differentiate the genders too much?
I tend to agree with this…if all the girls have the same style and all the boys have another style, I think that is okay.
My son’s name is of Scottish/Gaelic origin to go with my husband’s ancestry, but my daughter’s name is derived from my Russian ancestry. And they go together pretty well, even though they are different styles: [name]Kyle[/name] and [name]Emily[/name].

My SO and I tend to agree on boys names (I don’t seem to mind popularity so much for them), girls names is where we have an issue. I think that it’s fine to have different styles of names so long as they still flow together when you say them aloud. Would a different D name be amenable? [name]How[/name] about:

[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Dawson[/name]
[name]Darby[/name]
[name]Darwin[/name]
[name]Damon[/name]
[name]Dalton[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Darius[/name]
[name]Donahue[/name]
[name]Donavon[/name]
[name]Darragh[/name]
[name]Deacon[/name]
[name]Domino[/name]
[name]Dimitri[/name]
[name]Dermot[/name]
[name]Dewitt[/name]

Good luck in your convincing!

[name]Dante[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name] & [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Clementine[/name] ? :slight_smile: