Husband hates Tabitha--help!

We had almost agreed on [name]Stella[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] for our baby girl due in [name]April[/name]…but I have returned again to [name]Tabitha[/name]. I really love this name above all others in the running and I always have. But my husband dislikes it, mostly because he hates all the nns for it ([name]Tabby[/name], [name]Tibby[/name] etc) and also sees it as a cute name and not as a grown woman’s name. sigh.

He is of [name]German[/name] descent so I have tried to point out he could call her the [name]German[/name] version [name]Tabea[/name], which he sort of likes and I think is cute.

I would like her name to be [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Imogen[/name]. Sibs are sister [name]Sydney[/name] and brother [name]Bram[/name].

Any other help or suggestions on selling this name would be appreciated! Or should I stick with [name]Stella[/name]? DH also likes [name]Sabrina[/name], [name]Lara[/name], [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Annika[/name]. I like these but don’t really love them.

Thanks!

I love [name]Tabitha[/name], too! :slight_smile: I’m sorry he doesn’t like it. :frowning: At the same time, I think that [name]Stella[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] has a better flow then [name]Tabitha[/name] [name]Imogen[/name]. I really love [name]Stella[/name]!

Here’s a subliminal message for your husband: You [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Tabitha[/name]. It’s your favorite name. You [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Tibbie[/name] and [name]Tabby[/name]…You will now go out and buy your wife some beautiful jewelry. :slight_smile:

(Let me know how it goes…)

Take care! :slight_smile:

Would he be influenced by meaning at all? Does he know that [name]Tabitha[/name] means “gazelle”. What a great meaning to have associated with a name? Are there ways you could help your DH to build positive associations with the name [name]Tabitha[/name]? EG Characters in books or movies he would like with the name [name]Tabitha[/name]?

[name]Tabitha[/name] is a pretty name with a great meaning. I love [name]Tibbie[/name]. But, and this is a big but, it is no fun when your father doesn’t like your name at all. I know because that happened to me. So I always say, make sure that both parents love the name that they give their baby. If I were you, I would tell my husband that I really love the name [name]Tabitha[/name]. If there could be any way he could love it, that would be great. But if he can’t love [name]Tabitha[/name], then we need to find a name that we could both love a lot.

If he likes [name]Tabitha[/name] and hates the nicknames, could you agree not to call her either of those? With effort, you can prevent an unwanted nn from sticking, I think. For instance, my mother prevented people from calling me [name]Mandy[/name]. Good luck! I feel your pain. My husband REFUSED to name our daughter any of my first choices, and I finally had to cave because I didn’t want to force something he didn’t like upon him.

I think [name]Tabitha[/name] is a very dignified name so I can easily imagine it on an adult.

Would [name]Beth[/name] be an ok nickname? I think you could get that from [name]Tabitha[/name].

I love [name]Tabitha[/name] too! I agree with pp - do you have to use a nickname? What do you call [name]Sydney[/name]? [name]Abby[/name] could be a nickname for [name]Tabitha[/name]. I like [name]Stella[/name] too, and I’m happy to see [name]Sabrina[/name] on the list because it seems similar to [name]Tabitha[/name] to me for some reason. [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Imogen[/name]? I think you need to find a name that you both love - is [name]Imogen[/name] a contender for the first name?