Hyphenated first name?

Usually a hyphenate first name - like [name_f]Cami[/name_f]-[name_u]Jo[/name_u] or [name_f]Donna[/name_f]-[name_f]May[/name_f] - would sound super southern…maybe even too much. But I’ve seen some names that are more charming and pretty like [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_u]Neal[/name_u] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_m]John[/name_m]. I’ve always been fascinated at the combination of a girlname-boyname for a little girl’s first name.

My great grandmother was [name_f]Sara[/name_f], and hubby’s great-grandfather was [name_u]James[/name_u].

What do you think of [name_f]Sara[/name_f]-[name_u]James[/name_u]?

I like hyphenates sometimes, but I’m hesitant about the man’s name. [name_f]Sara[/name_f]-[name_f]Jane[/name_f] would be darling, or you could go for a [name_u]James[/name_u] variation. [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] are actually two variations of the same name, so you could go with [name_f]Sara[/name_f] [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f].

Ok…I like hyphenated names, but not so much the short Southern style. I like the hyphenated [name_m]French[/name_m]/Catholic saints names in my ancestry–[name_f]Jeanne[/name_f]-[name_f]Marie[/name_f], [name_f]Marie[/name_f]-Josephte. I’d go w/[name_f]Sara[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] as a double first name (sans hyphen) or use [name_u]James[/name_u] as a mn. [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] would be my preference.

I’m not ok with [name_u]James[/name_u] as a girl name.

Hmmmm I’m not usually crazy about a double barrel FN. Except for the [name_f]Marys[/name_f]. I dont know why [name_f]Mary[/name_f] gets an exception but she does [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. However, I agree with you that the girl-boy hyphen is actually lovely. I also agree with pp about the beautiful french hyphens.

I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] hyphenated first names, and I have dd’s that have them! But, I do not care for [name_u]James[/name_u] on a girl at all. [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]-[name_f]Jane[/name_f] would be stunning!!! If you really want [name_u]James[/name_u] in the name, I personally would not hyphenate it, and let it go in the middle spot.

Instead of [name_u]James[/name_u], I’d probably do the unisex version and do [name_f]Sara[/name_f]-[name_u]Jamie[/name_u].

[name_f]Love[/name_f] the double barreled name concept, but do not like [name_u]James[/name_u] on a girl.

I think [name_f]Sara[/name_f]-[name_u]James[/name_u] sounds really nice, however, [name_f]Sara[/name_f] is too popular for me, and [name_u]James[/name_u] is so boyish that even I (and I love many unisex and boy names for girls) dislike it as part of a girls name with the exception of it as the surname or nn for [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] or something similar.

I like the idea of hyphenated names though. If you like [name_f]Sara[/name_f]-[name_u]James[/name_u], may you will like some of these:
[name_f]Sara[/name_f]-[name_u]Jay[/name_u]

[name_f]Maddie[/name_f]-[name_u]Jay[/name_u]

[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]

[name_f]Aura[/name_f]-[name_u]Lynn[/name_u]

[name_f]Kenna[/name_f]-[name_u]Jay[/name_u]

[name_u]Kelsey[/name_u]-[name_u]Grey[/name_u]

[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]-[name_u]June[/name_u]

[name_f]Aura[/name_f]-[name_f]Faith[/name_f]

[name_f]Candace[/name_f]-[name_f]Bree[/name_f]

Libba or [name_f]Libby[/name_f]-[name_u]June[/name_u]

[name_f]Sofie[/name_f]-[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Kay[/name_u]

[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_u]Kai[/name_u]

[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]-[name_u]Rae[/name_u]

[name_f]Tori[/name_f]-[name_u]Seth[/name_u], [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_u]Seth[/name_u], [name_u]Corey[/name_u]-[name_u]Seth[/name_u]

[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]-[name_m]Hayes[/name_m], [name_u]Quincy[/name_u]-[name_f]Belle[/name_f], [name_f]Willow[/name_f]-[name_f]Faith[/name_f]

[name_f]Ella[/name_f]-[name_u]Jo[/name_u], [name_u]Quincy[/name_u]-[name_f]Beth[/name_f],

• [name_u]Seth[/name_u] could also be a good boy ending to the hyphenated name. [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_u]Seth[/name_u]*

I think [name_u]James[/name_u] is fine on a girl. I wouldn’t use it alone as a first name, it’s not my style, but I would think it was cute on someone else’s child. It reminds me of [name_u]Jaime[/name_u]/[name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]King[/name_m], and I like it. I’d probably assume boy, but I don’t think it can’t fit on a girl.

I think double barrel names are charming, even though I don’t really care for the actual hyphen. I think [name_f]Sara[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] is really cute, and I love [name_f]Sara[/name_f] (with no H). I also like ashleyjuliette’s suggestion of [name_f]Sara[/name_f] [name_u]Jay[/name_u]. I would really love to see that on a little girl. Good luck!

To me, [name_u]James[/name_u] will always be a boys name. I just can’t picture it on a girl and I have strong aversions to most boys names turned girls names.

I normally love hyphenated first names, but if you’re determined to use [name_u]James[/name_u], I’d go with [name_f]Sara[/name_f] [name_u]James[/name_u] without the hyphenation.

My favorite hyphenated names are:
[name_f]Zoie[/name_f]-[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]-[name_u]Lynn[/name_u]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Bella[/name_f]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]-[name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosie[/name_f]-[name_f]Louise[/name_f]

I knew a [name_f]Barbara[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] who was [name_f]Bobbi[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] (no hyphen, though). She was named after both her grandmas. It was super cute and I can see the charm in that. I don’t think that having a hyphen adds anything to a double fn, though.

[name_u]James[/name_u] is a boy’s name. Sorry. I’m biased, though. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Sara[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is gorgeous and charming; I agree with previous posters. Or pick something with a unisex feel for the middle, like [name_u]Jo[/name_u].