I confuse myself with what my girl naming style is! Help!

Hi everybody!

We found out we’re having our first girl :tada: This will be our third baby though. Our sons names are Reid Arthur and Wes Oliver.

I am having a tough time finding the rhyme and reason as to why I like some of the names I like. The only thing I can think of is that I like girl names that feel both older and timeless but also current. I love the list I have but all the names I really love, my husband doesn’t. We haven’t found a name we completely agree on. Ideally, I’d like to have 2 complete names, and then decide after we see her.

I am trying to stay away from names that start with W or R, unless I absolutely love them. I also know some of my names are “older”, but I don’t want the name to sound Southern. It’s a weird fine line to ride I think.

Here are the girl names I like…
Imogen
Margot (I don’t think we can use it because a good friend’s daughter is named Margot)
Matilda
Orla (we live in the US and I am worried this will get made fun of)
Tabitha
Winona
Francis
Mavis
Talula

Middle names I love (wouldn’t want them as first names though)…
Harriet
Day
Claire
Blue
Elliot

I’d love more name suggestions and thoughts on what you think my style is. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Just by looking at your boys names I would have thought your style was short and sweet, current and classic, slight country vibes. But like me, it looks like your girls names style differs a tad from your boys. Longer, but still current and classic. Btw there’s nothing wrong with that!

I love Mavis with Reid & Wes! Then there’s a 3-4-5 letter pattern :blush:

other names you may like that I think fit well with her older brothers

Fern
Aspen
Belle
Brooke
Clara
Paige
Quinn
Shea
Sylvie
Tilly
Tula
Georgia
Faye

This is interesting because we don’t live in the [name_f]South[/name_f]. And I would even say we usually tend to stay away from names that sound “southern” to us, I understand that’s just a cultural/made-up/regional concept. I know everyone is going to think different names feel different ways to them. But I think we would consider [name_f]Belle[/name_f], [name_f]Brooke[/name_f], or [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] to be sort of “Southern” sounding and probably not in our wheelhouse.

And I do enjoy having different naming styles for kids. If I’m being completely honest, I don’t love our first son’s name, [name_m]Reid[/name_m], but we couldn’t agree on anything at the time.

I’d describe your taste as mostly understated or under the radar classics – names with a long history of use but they are unusual enough to feel fresh, sparkly and still interesting. I also think you have a bit of a [name_f]British[/name_f] vibe to your list.

Ideas of names you might like:
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]

I agree that your style leans older-but-current, names with history that are trending upward, or “established names having a moment”. It’s a great list! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], & [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f].

Ideas based on your list:

[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f]
[name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Leanna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lindy[/name_f]
[name_f]Lita[/name_f]
Luelle
[name_f]Lulu[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_f]Marie[/name_f]
[name_m]Michele[/name_m]
[name_f]Millie[/name_f]
[name_f]Mira[/name_f]
[name_f]Mirabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
Nadia/Nadya
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Tilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Tillie[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivi[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivian[/name_f]

I love your boys’ names! I’m sorry you don’t love Reid’s name, so I hope you can find one you love this time.

I’m not good at figuring out styles, so I’ll just offer some suggestions of names that could potentially fit your vibe that hopefully you and your husband both like. Some lean more modern, others lean more vintage, and I think a few are a good mix of both!

[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Della[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Collette[/name_f]
[name_f]Marlowe[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]
[name_f]Twila[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Mari[/name_f] (marr-ee)
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Etta[/name_f]

Ya everyone definitely does have different feel for what a name makes them think of! For me Reid and Wes do have country vibes which isn’t a bad thing, just an observation. I personally love the rugged outdoorsy simple boy names in that wheelhouse! Reid & Wes are both great names :blush: To me it’s less about south, west, etc. and more about the natural lifestyle and vast expanses of nature around imagery. Your girl names have less of a country feel, although Talula is one that also does have a country feel to me.

There’s pieces of country in CA where I live. Didn’t say south (which you sound prejudice toward) I said country feel - natural, rugged, outdoor.

Got it! My eyes read country and my mind immediately went to Southern. I could see how that wouldn’t be everyone’s first thought though. We live in a big city and I guess I refer to places as urban or rural. Nature or…whatever the antithesis to nature is :joy: Industrial? I’m realizing I really don’t use the word country unless I’m referring to something in the South. So yes, it definitely seems like a bias view, and I hadn’t thought of it that way until now actually… So that’s going to be interesting to reflect on :sweat_smile:

Ideas:

[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_f]Day[/name_f]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f] [name_f]Blue[/name_f]
[name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_m]Elliot[/name_m]

Not sure what is to make fun of with [name_f]Orla[/name_f] but love [name_f]Orla[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. I wouldn’t be deterred by [name_f]Margot[/name_f], friends change. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_f]Blue[/name_f]?

I’d say your girls style is 'modern-vintage with nickname potential". Your middle name choices are similar, but with a bit more whimsy.

Adding to your list:

[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Una[/name_f] / [name_f]Oona[/name_f]
[name_f]Talitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Olive[/name_f]
[name_f]Lois[/name_f]
[name_f]Juniper[/name_f]
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Twyla[/name_f]
[name_f]Coralie[/name_f]
[name_f]Celia[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Stella[/name_f] / [name_f]Estella[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Nina[/name_f]
[name_f]Melanie[/name_f]

I have thought against [name_f]Orla[/name_f] for that same reason. I would suggest Olry, which I find beautiful.

I would say your style has a modern south western vibe mixed with classic. But style is very subjective.

I’d suggest…
[name_f]Sariah[/name_f]
[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]
[name_f]Marian[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivian[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
Winora
[name_f]Winola[/name_f]
[name_f]Florence[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_f]Flora[/name_f]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f]
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Ora[/name_f]
[name_f]Oralis[/name_f] / Orelis
[name_f]Orabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Oria[/name_f]
[name_f]Oriel[/name_f]

Your boy names feel modern, bright and energetic. Your girl names are a bit more timeless, stylish and quite feminine.
I think these combine both styles:
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f], [name_f]Lena[/name_f], [name_f]Marlowe[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_f]Faye[/name_f], [name_f]Anya[/name_f], [name_f]Kaia[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Paige[/name_f], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]

From your list I like [name_f]Imogen[/name_f], [name_f]Talula[/name_f] and [name_f]Margot[/name_f] best!
[name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_f]Talula[/name_f] [name_f]Blue[/name_f] or [name_f]Talula[/name_f] [name_f]Day[/name_f].
maybe…
[name_f]Hazel[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Marlowe[/name_f] [name_f]Day[/name_f]
[name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]

I like your name style (whatever it is)!

I love [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] and [name_f]Orla[/name_f]!

What about…

Mae/May
[name_f]Mara[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]June[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Vivian[/name_f]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f]
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]

Honestly, [name_m]Reid[/name_m], [name_m]Wes[/name_m], and [name_f]Winona[/name_f] is great! [name_m]Even[/name_m] with the repeated W. Such a cute sibset!

Your style gives me “old school, southern / country” vibes.

I think it’s been captured, the themes, but I agree with the southern/outdoorsy/genteel/ modern cowboy/girl meets Brit vintage.

I like all the names on your list except Mavis (for some reason, like Sadie for eg, it’s too flapper/showbiz for me). I would go for Frances spelling over Francis - the second reads more masc to me. And I prefer the Tallulah spelling.

Of your list, Imogen (nn Immy), Tabitha (nn Tibby!), Frances (nn Francy/Franny) & Orla are my faves (though maybe go for Oona if you’re worried about the teasing). I like Winona too, I just wouldn’t use right after Wes (unless it’s the top fave, I like different starting letters). Winona definitely matches the boys’ names really well. Talula/Tallulah and Matilda are charming too, I just prefer the others.

Other names you might like:

Bridget
Phoebe
Vera
Loretta
Daphne
Bronte
Marnie
Willa
Verity
Elise
Cecily
Lovella
Faye

Tabitha, Francis, and Talulah are my favorites from the ones you listed.

I stink at pinpointing people’s styles and articulating their vibes eloquently like most people on here can do :joy:, but here is a random collection of names that came to mind while reading your post. Might have accidentally repeated some already mentioned.

Some of your listed names with your favorite middles:

Talulah Claire
Talulah Elliot
Talulah Blue

Tabitha Day
Tabitha Blue
Tabitha Harriet

Francis Claire

————————
Some random suggestions with your favorite middles:

Lola Elliot
Lola Claire