I dreamt of a name that has nothing to do w/ my other names

I had decided to give the naming quest a rest to mull over how to talk to DH without killing each other… but I still wanted to get your take on this.

To preface this, when I dream of my DD I usually am calling her “[name]Lark[/name]”. I call her my little [name]Lark[/name]. I think this is going to be her NN regardless of what we name her, so I don’t think that it means I necessarilly ‘want’ to name her that… I have also had muddled dreams about her named [name]Juno[/name] and [name]Aster[/name], more like my head is full of names and trying them out…

but, last night, I had a REALLY vivid dream. I dreamt of my high school best friend. (who’s name is [name]Jessica[/name], just for reference). [name]Jessica[/name] and I haven’t seen each other in a decade, so it was strange to dream of her first off. But, in my dream, [name]Jessica[/name] had gotten a beautiful purple tatoo on her chest…it almost glowed in a heavenly aura sort of way. I looked at her tatoo, in my dream, and said “oh, you can’t get that tatoo, because that’s what I’m going to name my daughter”

Her tatoo said
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]

Huh? [name]Juliet[/name]? Where did that come from? Its not naturely, its not particularly soft. I do think someone had suggested it on these boards, but I think I pegged it is a lovely name not for my DD and forgot about it.

So. What do you nameberries think? [name]Do[/name] I give any credence to this name that came from NO WHERE, especially when I’m looking for a soft naturey name?

Why was I dreaming of [name]Juliet[/name]?

[name]Just[/name] wanted to share. :slight_smile:

lol if u like it take it as a sign… [name]Juliet[/name] is lovely

I think its very pretty! I also think that if you like it you should go for it! Maybe you’re having trouble deciding on a soft naturey name because that’s not what you ACTUALLY want. I know this isn’t the same, but when I was picking out my wedding dress I had a similar scenario. The dress I ended up getting was NOTHING like what I had ever pictured myself wearing. In the end I absolutley loved it, but it took me awhile to actually decide to buy it. My brain was freaking out since it wasn’t what I thought I’d get. But once I pulled that credit card out I knew it was right… I hope that helps you and doesn’t sound awful and rambling and shallow…
For what it’s worth…I love [name]Juliet[/name]!

I think it is pretty. I don’t necessarily believe dreams are signs themselves so much as the brain working over things that might overwhelm us by day mixed in with other stimuli. I think the funny part was when you tell her she can’t get a tattoo she already got - maybe you hang around here too much! [name]Just[/name] lol, not serious…

What I really think is that your brain settled on the name to get past the issue. I really want you to be happy with the name you choose but your daughter doesn’t have a name and you’ve been sick for several months and taking care of yourself.

I think your brain spun a dial and picked a pretty good name, and if you like it, then it’s a good name. You know everyone seems to like it, or for whatever reason it just didn’t have the qualities you were hoping for, it certainly is pretty and substantial. Maybe you look and you look and you look and nothing seems to be “right,” and the more names you see, then you are just overstimulated and easily look over names that are good that are right in front of you, but don’t fit your criteria just so… because they keep coming at you, there’s always some barrier to settling on a name.

If I were me (and I am), I would consider this name a while and probably admit it’s as good a name as any, and in many ways better. I don’t know if you will approach it the same way. I don’t know if inside of you, this name was always there, with some condition you opposed it consciously but love it anyway, and your brain brought it to your attention somehow, or if it just threw a dart blindfolded at a zillion names you’ve looked over the past few months.

It might be her name, though.

I love [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]! I know that another poster’s daughter’s name came to her in a dream, and like you, the name was nothing she had ever thought of before. (The name was [name]Olive[/name]…)

She recently wrote a blog entry on the experience of naming her third baby, and describes the dream she had in which she found her first daughter’s name.

https://nameberry.com/blog/2009/09/29/the-baby-with-no-name/

I think that [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] is beyond gorgeous, and I do personally put stock in dreams.

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] IS a gorgeous name. But for what it’s worth, I don’t think it is THE name. My only reason for this is because of the two middle names ([name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]). I remember that you had decided that two middle names was just too much when you are also giving your daughter a hyphenated last name.

That being said, I am a believer in listening to your dreams. Ultimately, though, you are the only person who can interpret your own dream. What do you think it meant? Why was [name]Jessica[/name] there, all of a sudden? What was the significance of the tatoo?

– [name]Just[/name] to tell you, as an aside, I did breath a sigh of relief when I came to the end of the story, and determined that it was NOT a dream about naming your daughter ‘Tatoo’ … :wink:

As far as the name you dreamed up, I do think it’s interesting that [name]Aster[/name] is still in there, but that it was preceded by a much more conventional or traditional name. What this makes me think (and of course, I could be wrong about this), is that you are wishing you could name your daughter [name]Aster[/name] but feel you can’t (so it goes in the middle). You may be a bit uncomfortable on some level with the more unusual names that your (awake) self seems to prefer.

I wonder if there is a name that is halfway between [name]Juliet[/name] and [name]Aster[/name] …? I have to admit that one of the names that does come to mind is one you mentioned once before as one of your original choices: [name]Beth[/name] . I also think of the name [name]Garnet[/name], which, in addition to being a jewel name, means ‘pomegranate’ and comes from the French. I also think ‘[name]Jule[/name]’, which looks like [name]Juliet[/name] but sounds like ‘[name]Jewel[/name]’.

Actually, come to think of it, [name]Etoile[/name] really comes to mind. It means ‘star’ in French. It has the ‘et’ spelling (though differently pronounced than [name]Juliet[/name]), it is a French name (like [name]Juliet[/name]). I know [name]Etoile[/name] has already come up on these message boards for you, but I would take another look at it …

However, since [name]Juliet[/name] is coming out of the blue for you, to me, it seems to me that its purpose in the dream was to stand in front of [name]Aster[/name] … allowing you to use [name]Aster[/name] – the ‘unusable’ name. But is [name]Aster[/name] really so unusable? Could it be that [name]Juliet[/name] happened to come up because it is (a little bit) similar to [name]Jessica[/name], and that’s why it happened to be that name up front?

Ultimately, this sounds like a wish fulfillment dream. You are suffering because you haven’t been able to settle on a name for your daughter, and the name just appears to you in a dream …

Look for what this dream can teach/tell you, but realize that it is just a dream, and whatever it’s telling you is something you already know at some level, anyway.

P.S. This has nothing to do with your dream, but …

Would you like to name your daughter ‘[name]Iris[/name]’, which is both a flower and a (Greek?) goddess name? [name]EDIT[/name]: Sorry, I just re-read your old post saying you can’t use this name because your friend already used it for her daughter. Too bad! Does seem like a great name for you.

Or how about Myrthe (which reminds me of the English word ‘mirth’ and also of ‘blythe’) but is also a Dutch name for the flowering ‘myrtle’. [name]EDIT[/name] – oh, sorry, not good with [name]Miriam[/name]

Or how about a name honoring ‘[name]Jessica[/name]’, perhaps [name]Jessie[/name] or [name]Jessamyn[/name] (means ‘jasmine’)?

I love the name [name]Juliet[/name]!

This might sound totally sci-fi - well b/c it is, but I think that dreams are links to parallel universes. Scientists say that there are parallel universes in which different versions of our lives are played out (like if we would have chose a different path in life). Well, I believe that our brains are linked to those universes and our dreams are our “window” into those worlds. So that being said, I think that in another life you are going to name your daughter that name. Yes, weird. I know. Is that a sign that you should name your daughter that name? I don’t know - you should take it as you want. If it feels right to you, then you have your name!

[name]Just[/name] a little background on the story I am going to tell you. 8 1/2 years ago I lost a little girl at birth when she was born too early due to cervical incompetence. A few months later while grieving deeply for her, I went to bed and had a dream that I was holding a baby girl in my arms. I saw exactly what she looked like and what she was wearing and I heard someone telling me her name was [name]Liberty[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. My husband and I were still in deep grief and we needed a child to give those maternal and paternal feelings to but we weren’t at all ready to try again yet. About 2 years later, we finally decided we were ready to try for another baby and hoped for another daughter ( although either sex would be fine). We had two much older sons and wanted the different experience of raising a daughter. We understood we could never replace our first daughter in our hearts. It ended up taking almost a year to become pregnant this time despite lots of babydancing:) For about three years we had been speaking of a daughter and even calling her [name]Libby[/name] (her nn). We trusted that someday that dream would come true. When she was born at 35 1/2 weeks due to my water breaking early, we did indeed name her [name]Liberty[/name] [name]Grace[/name]. I don’t know if the name you dreamed of is your daughter’s name or not but the name I dreamed of definitely fits my daughter to a T. Strangely, I had never heard of [name]Liberty[/name] as a name before that dream. Also strange was that one day, I dressed her in a dress and took her to church when she was about a month old. My mom had bought the dress for her and when I went back to the nursery with her to breastfeed her, I suddenly looked down and realized that I was looking at he baby of my dream. The dress was exactly the dress I had seen her in and she looked exactly like the baby girl in my dream. So for me the dream was prophetic.

Babygrey, have you considered the name [name]Larkin[/name]? It’s apparently a name of American origin and it means ‘a pretty young woman’. However, you said you call your baby ‘little lark’ and isn’t that technically what [name]Larkin[/name] means?

I think 2 years ago now there was a TV show called ‘Invasion’ and one of the female leads was named [name]Larkin[/name].

[name]Larkin[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Larkin[/name] [name]Aster[/name]

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]! That is quite a vivid dream, seems really significant. [name]Even[/name] if you don’t end up using the whole name, it would be great to incorporate some element of it in your final choice – will certainly make a wonderful story for your daughter.

When I was pregnant with my son, maybe 4 weeks before we found out the sex, I had a dream that I was driving with my little sister. I looked in the rearview mirror and there was a carseat in the back. I remember being suprised that the baby had come. My sister was referring to the baby as [name]Kaleb[/name], something [name]David[/name] and I had talked about, but we hadn’t settled on anything. When we found out it was, indeed, a boy, we knew we had our name. My dream decided for us and settled any differences that we had in choosing.
I think that [name]Juliet[/name] is a beautiful name. I think it has a very soft, romantic sound to it, very pretty and feminine. If your dreams tend to have meaning for you and you believe it could be prophetic (as I did), I would go with it.

i love juliet.

This is a tough call, babygrey. I know you want your daughter to have a name and you want to be finished with this agonizing decision. It could be that your brain is concentrating on those desires. Only you can decide whether [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] meets all of your criteria for a name. I think it’s a beautiful name, but that doesn’t mean that it’s right for you. I don’t think you should pressure yourself into using [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] because you heard it in your dream. I love the pp’s stories about [name]Liberty[/name] [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Kaleb[/name] - those dreams were special and prophetic to them. I had a dream when I was pregnant too. We didn’t know the gender and I had no inklings one way or the other (not like some people who have a feeling right from the beginning). But I had an extremely vivid dream where I picked up a toddler and someone said who’s that and I said, it’s my daughter, [name]Iona[/name]. Now [name]Iona[/name] was not on our list. I don’t think I was even aware of it as a name prior to that dream. My husband thought that the dream was meaningful and we should name the baby that if it was a girl. But I didn’t like it. I don’t like how it sounds when said in our area of the country, I don’t like how it flows with our last name, there are lots of reasons why I don’t like it. I didn’t want to use a name that wasn’t perfect just because I dreamt of it.

(Of course, I wish that I had had that vivid dream about [name]Linnea[/name] or [name]Felicity[/name] or one of a thousand names I love that my husband vetoed–then I would count the dream as meaningful!! oh, well maybe next pregnancy lol)

Anyway, my point (long and rambling though it may be) is that you need to choose whether to follow the dream or not. [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] is a beautiful, strong and meaningful name. Whether or not you use it for your daughter is up to you.

*call me tickled pink to get a personal stamp of approval from [name]Pam[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your touching, thoughtful responses. I’ve particularly enjoyed reading others who’ve dreamt baby names and reasons for either using them or not.

You are all exactly right - I need to decide whether or not that dream was a wish from my subconscious, prophetic, or just my brain being totally overloaded with names! (I mean, I had a dream last night that she was named [name]Bertha[/name], and, well that’s just not happening, so… :stuck_out_tongue: )

[name]Hi[/name]! Yes, I think it is quite special that [name]Pam[/name] has given you her stamp of approval! [name]Way[/name] to go!

I’d just like to say that a nickname doesn’t need to come from a person’s name. For instance, my parents have always called me [name]Birdie[/name], even though it has nothing to do with my name. So your little [name]Lark[/name] can be that even if it doesn’t relate to her name in the slightest.

I’d also like to say that [name]Juliet[/name] is a beautiful, soft, feminine, yet still sturdy name for a lady. Not only does it obviously link to the [name]Shakespeare[/name] character, but for me, the name is one of youthful cheeriness and, surprisingly, activity and athleticism (blame it on the [name]Juliet[/name] I knew). Still, the name is a lovely and elegant name befitting of any type of grown woman. It’s perfect in my opinion. While [name]Aster[/name] does match in origin (English), I personally find something a bit off about the flow of [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Aster[/name] (likely the T sound - very heavy). [name]Miriam[/name], though very different and with a relatively unpleasant meaning, fits nicely in flow with [name]Juliet[/name].

Another name I might suggest for you is a Spanish one meaning “lark,” [name]Alondra[/name]. You may also want to honor your dreams with a name meaning, fittingly, “dream.” Some suggestions are the Irish name [name]Aislin[/name] (like [name]Ashlyn[/name]) and its variants, [name]Aisling[/name], [name]Aislinn[/name], and [name]Ashling[/name], or the French [name]Chimere[/name]. Additionally, some other names meaning “star,” like [name]Aster[/name], are [name]Estee[/name], [name]Danica[/name], [name]Estella[/name] (and variants), Marianela, [name]Seren[/name], and Thuraia (meaning “[name]Star[/name] of My Life” in [name]African[/name]).

I hope you find your name, I really do. Perhaps lace together your favorite combinations, approved by you and your husband, and bring them to the hospital to meet your little [name]Lark[/name]. Also, I agree with a previous poster that two middle names is quite much with a hyphenated last name.

Some of my favorites are [name]Estee[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Juliet[/name] Thuraia, [name]Juliet[/name] Marianela, and [name]Estella[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] (I think this is so feminine and pretty!). Good luck!

Oh my goodness, I only [name]JUST[/name] realized that your daughter has already been born (right?)! Wow! I’m so sorry - I’m relatively new to this site. Anyway, she needs a name, so what does she look like? Maybe that would help. For instance, if she has brunette hair, I think [name]Juliet[/name] would be stunning, maybe [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name]. Or, a little blonde girl with green eyes would make a stunning [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]! A little girl with dirty blond hair and maybe brown eyes would make a lovely [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Larkin[/name]. And, a little one with bright, big, blue eyes and a uniform hair color (either blond blond or brunette) would make a perfect [name]Estee[/name]/[name]Estella[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]! Good luck, BabyGrey! If she hasn’t been born and I am going crazy, I do sincerely apologize. :slight_smile:

Wow, unicorngal, that is an amazing story. I had chills through out it!

Babygrey, I know, for me, how difficult it was to find my daughter’s name while I was pregnant (we didn’t name her until we met her), but I can not even begin to imagine how you feel now that she is here and still without a name!

I think your dream sounds very vivid and I personally give dreams a lot of weight. I think [name]Juliet[/name] is a VERY lovely name. However, I think with a hyphenated last name, two middle names are a bit much. I thought I remembered reading that you all were just going to stick with [name]Miriam[/name]? I think [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] sounds beautiful together. When it comes down to it, I don’t think any of us really have the answers, I think it’s a decision to be made between you and your husband and that it will reveal itself to you when appropriate - if it hasn’t already. :wink:

Best of luck to you during this agonizing process!

I think it’s perfect! I love the combo of [name]Aster[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] in the middle and the flow is fantastic, it’s gorgeous and you get [name]Aster[/name] in there too. Also, it’s a wonderful story to tell her some day, that it came to you in a dream! Sigh.

Wow thats really really pretty! [name]Juliet[/name] is a beautiful name I love [name]Miriam[/name] and [name]Aster[/name].