I hate my name

I’m 31 and I always hate my name and now I’m not even sure if it’s possible for me to change it (I’m not sure if my family will accept it since they like my name). I was always teased for my name and to me it sounds childish. [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f]. In highschool my nickname was [name_m]Joey[/name_m], it was a joke so I don’t want to change it to that. I thought about changing it to [name_f]Nina[/name_f] since it’s similar to my nickname that my siblings call me. Currently I go by [name_f]Jen[/name_f] which I feel like is to short. On my list I have:
[name_f]Lacy[/name_f], [name_f]Summer[/name_f], and [name_f]Nina[/name_f]. I also really like names like [name_f]Mia[/name_f], [name_f]Sara[/name_f], and [name_f]June[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Nina[/name_f] is sweet and solid - a good choice!

[name_f]June[/name_f] feels like another good option - like the beginning of your name, and currently what you go by, but you actually like it.

[name_f]Summer[/name_f] is nice too - warm and pretty!

If you wanted suggestions:

[name_f]Janine[/name_f] / [name_f]Jeanine[/name_f] / [name_f]Janina[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Geneva[/name_f]
[name_f]Imogen[/name_f]
[name_f]Fenella[/name_f]
[name_f]Alina[/name_f]

3 Likes

[name_f]Lacy[/name_f], [name_f]Summer[/name_f] and [name_f]Nina[/name_f] are lovely choices. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you happen to like [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]? It’s got 3 syllables and other sound similarities to [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], which might help your family to adjust. It’s your name and your identity so I’d encourage you to go for a name change if that will improve your wellbeing.
Back to [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] for a second, there’s a variety of nns - [name_f]Jo[/name_f], [name_f]Josie[/name_f], [name_f]Fee[/name_f], and I think [name_f]Nina[/name_f] works too, from the ending and [name_f]June[/name_f] too. (Josefina?)

Other ideas if wanted -
[name_f]Fern[/name_f] - you have the letters and sounds in your current name, so may aid the transition. Does it feel a bit longer than [name_f]Jen[/name_f] because of the longer vowel sounds, like [name_f]June[/name_f]?

[name_f]Connie[/name_f] (I think I got here via Connifer, thinking about Jennifer!)

[name_f]Juni[/name_f] or [name_f]Juna[/name_f]

[name_f]Jessica[/name_f] - nns of [name_f]Jess[/name_f], [name_f]Jessie[/name_f], maybe [name_f]Iscah[/name_f], [name_f]Essie[/name_f].

I really like [name_f]June[/name_f] but all my cousins kids has that as their middle name and I am not close to them. I think [name_f]Nina[/name_f] is the best. [name_f]Summer[/name_f] is also cute. Maybe I’ll change my whole and to [name_f]Nina[/name_f] [name_f]Summer[/name_f] jk

1 Like

I thought I’d suggest the name [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f]- it’s Italian and a great alternative to [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] while still being similar enough to please relatives. It’s has a melodic fairytale feel almost, and can shorten to Gin/Gen or [name_f]Ginny[/name_f]. I’ve also seen [name_f]Genia[/name_f] used as an alternative to [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f].

[name_f]Nina[/name_f] is sweet and sounds like it would work well if it’s similar to something people already call you. If you wanted a longer name to shorten to [name_f]Nina[/name_f] you could use [name_f]Georgina[/name_f] or [name_f]Angelina[/name_f].

You seem to gravitate towards shorter more summery names, so the ones I suggested might be too long. Alternatively, you might like [name_f]Maia[/name_f] (since you liked Mia) or [name_f]April[/name_f]. [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Chloe[/name_f], and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] are also classic names which might fit your style.

The name [name_f]Lacey[/name_f] made me think of [name_f]Darcy[/name_f] or something like [name_f]Laila[/name_f] or [name_f]Leila[/name_f]. Possibly even [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]. Lastly [name_f]Sienna[/name_f] and [name_f]Lois[/name_f] came to mind.

Anyway just thought I’d brainstorm a few names in case one that caught your attention came up.

I think I like [name_f]Nina[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] siblings call me [name_f]Ninna[/name_f] (Nin-nuh). I feel like [name_f]Nina[/name_f] is so cute and close and maybe easy for everyone. I also love cleo and [name_f]Zoey[/name_f]. It’s so hard to decide

If your siblings call you [name_f]Ninna[/name_f] I’d definitely go with [name_f]Nina[/name_f]. [name_f]Ninna[/name_f] just becomes a family nickname for [name_f]Nina[/name_f] instead of [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f].

If it makes you feel any better, you can do what my brother did. He chose his new name and refused to respond to his old name. He would straight up ignore you. Lol! [name_m]Little[/name_m] turd. He changed his name when he was 28. He had good reason to do so. To this day its hard for me to think of him other than his old name, but I dont dare use it. :yum::joy:

[name_f]Nina[/name_f] is a pretty name. I like it. I say, the world is your oyster and you can pick any name your heart desires. So go for what feels right for you :sparkling_heart::smile: