I know a Clara

If you knew a [name_f]Clara[/name_f] would you call her [name_u]Clare[/name_u] as a quick nickname? I know some parents call their Clares’ Clarebear. But I’m looking more if you had a friend named [name_f]Clara[/name_f], would you call her [name_u]Clare[/name_u]?

1 Like

No, I wouldn’t. [name_u]Clare[/name_u] is too name-y to be an immediate nickname imo.

1 Like

I know a [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. People only call her [name_f]Claire[/name_f] during sports, but a lot of people’s names get shortened during sports to quickly get attention. (Ex: [name_f]Mary[/name_f] becomes [name_f]Mar[/name_f], [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] becomes T)

1 Like

I second this

1 Like

My youngest is named [name_f]Clara[/name_f]!

So far, no one has called her [name_u]Clare[/name_u]. If it happens, and she doesn’t mind, then neither will I.

One of my in-laws calls her [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_m]Bear[/name_m], which works for us.

1 Like

No, but then [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f] are pronoucned pretty differently to me

6 Likes

No I wouldn’t. [name_f]My[/name_f] immediate nickname thought is Rara actually.

1 Like

I probably wouldnt but Im a person who rarely calls people by more than one version of their name. But I do think the nickname makes sense as long as they don’t object to it.

1 Like

No, but like @Greyblue I pronounce them differently.

2 Likes

I know a [name_f]Clara[/name_f] but she doesn’t have any nicknames, it doesn’t feel like she needs them, it’s one of those names that sounds quite nicknamey and cute anyway so we just never shorten it. It really suits her, she’s only 3 :two_hearts:

Oh I should have said, in the UK we pronounce it Clah-ra not Clair-a so that might be why as well

1 Like

I’m assuming you pronounce it [name_f]Claire[/name_f]-uh. Here [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is claar-uh so calling her [name_f]Claire[/name_f] or [name_f]Claire[/name_f]-bear would be a little strange. I would not call a [name_f]Clara[/name_f] [name_u]Clare[/name_u]/Claire.

1 Like

I knew a [name_f]Clara[/name_f] at school. She was never called [name_u]Clare[/name_u], only [name_f]Clara[/name_f]. But where I live they’re pronounced differently.

1 Like

I know 3 here in the states and at least 2 of them do get called ‘[name_f]Claire[/name_f] bear’ but I don’t think they are called ‘[name_f]Claire[/name_f]’ on a regular basis other than just the occasional blip

1 Like

Personally no i wouldn’t.

1 Like

I wouldn’t

1 Like

Unless my friend specified that they preferred [name_u]Clare[/name_u], I would probably just call them [name_f]Clara[/name_f]!

1 Like

No, I see them as completely different names. [name_f]Claire[/name_f] doesn’t feel nickname-y at all to me

1 Like

Probably not. Mainly because it seems like most people who love [name_f]Clara[/name_f] don’t like [name_f]Claire[/name_f], and I wouldn’t commit to it without knowing the wearer was fine with it? [name_f]Claire[/name_f] is on my own top 5 so I obviously love it… I am not as keen on [name_f]Clara[/name_f] myself. I’d be annoyed if someone was calling my [name_f]Claire[/name_f] “[name_f]Clara[/name_f]” lol. Plus, they’re both reasonably popular so it just seems like at this point, it’s easier to keep them distinct. [name_m]Just[/name_m] keeping it at [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is not that hard to do. It’s one extra letter lol.

1 Like

I wouldn’t.

1 Like

one of my best friends is a Cl@ra, and that’s what I call her 99 % of the time. I’ve called her Clarabear once or twice, but I’ve never heard anyone call her [name_f]Claire[/name_f] or anything else :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like