I know I have asked this before ... (Dexter or Declan)

See the results of this poll: Which would you choose?

Respondents: 28 (This poll is closed)

• Dexter Hayes : 9 (30%)
  • Declan Hayes: 21 (70%)

Definitely [name_m]Declan[/name_m]! I’ve not seen the show, either, but it’s enough that the name is tied to a serial killer to put me off of it. I’m not a massive [name_m]Dex[/name_m] fan, either. That, and I associate [name_m]Declan[/name_m] with the adorable, sarcastic, cynical [name_m]Declan[/name_m] from Leap Year (one of my favorite movies!), so I’m much more attracted to it. I think [name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] or [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] would be lovely, but I much prefer [name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m], personally. I love it!

That is what I rock back and fourth on. Why did his name need to be [name_u]Dexter[/name_u]? lol I have not heard of Leap Year, will have to check it out.

Thank you, [name_u]Ashley[/name_u].

Thank you for the votes so far.

I agree with [name_u]Ashley[/name_u]. I’ve not watched the show but I immediately link it to the character, and since it’s not that commonly used, it’s the only association for me.
[name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] sounds very handsome and has a very preppy vibe to me.

Thank you, [name_f]Polly[/name_f].

It’s the only association I have also.

I adore [name_u]Dexter[/name_u]! I’ve seen the t.v show [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], but it would not keep me from using it. The show is not going to last forever, so I don’t think you will have issues with people associating your son with that character for a long time. :slight_smile:

Thank you, [name_f]Erin[/name_f].

Very true. Still causes pause.

My vote goes to [name_u]Dexter[/name_u]. Is [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] your last name? (Dunno how I feel about it as a middle name.)

Thank you, rie.

It is an honor name. All our names honor or have special meaning. Besides, we love the sound and feel of [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] or [name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m].

[name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] is a great name!

While I prefer [name_m]Declan[/name_m] over [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], I think [name_m]Dex[/name_m] would still be a cute nn.

Thank you, rlc67 and bcrookshanks.

Thank you, everyone, for the votes so far. Still undecided.

I’m torn between which name/combo I like more, but just wanted to say I’m in the camp of [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] being totally usable… and I watched the show. I love [name_m]Dex[/name_m], but I think you could use that for either.

Thank you, emsky.

We are leaning toward [name_m]Declan[/name_m]. I have loved [name_m]Declan[/name_m] for so long, I am very comfortable with the name. I am not as comfortable with [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] but I love its punch.

[name_u]Jean[/name_u], I was just reading back on this thread, and noticed how most seem to have only one association with [name_u]Dexter[/name_u]. Maybe that’s why I’ve been going off of [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] for years, I think. Not just because of [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] the serial killer, but also [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] from the old cartoon (it was hot when I was in middle school, haha, maybe a bit before) called [name_u]Dexter[/name_u]'s Laboratories (or something like that?). I remember it being mind-numbingly idiotic, so between the stupidity of the cartoon and the sense of evil that comes with a serial killer, there are not many positive connotations left to give to [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] for me. I used to like it, several years ago, but I’ve not been a fan for quite a while. I agree with you, though–it does have punch! I just love the cuddly, sweet, little-boy-with-a-sunshine-heart feel that I get with [name_m]Declan[/name_m]. I think [name_m]Declan[/name_m] [name_m]Hayes[/name_m] is perfection. :slight_smile: I may like it as much as my own combo, which is saying something, because it took me forever to find a combo I liked for [name_m]Declan[/name_m]!

Honestly, with my clumsy self, I think of [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] -> dexterity. What if he is constantly tripping and running into stuff? That’s also what makes me shy away from [name_f]Grace[/name_f]. Too much of a comedown if he can’t live up to his name :wink:

I think you might have nailed it. It’s hard to get a sense for a name when the only association is a bit negative or negative. It is actually better to have no association sometimes. I get just about the same feeling with [name_m]Declan[/name_m] as you do. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you love the combo. :slight_smile: We think the combo has just as much punch as [name_u]Dexter[/name_u].

I had to chuckle. I do not feel the same way but can understand others having those opinions. I especially do not feel that way with [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is too established as a name. Never thought of dexterity when hearing [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] but might now. :slight_smile:

Thank you, for your opinions.