I love Atticus, but...

I’ve heard so many Berries who find it pretentious! It’s a fairly recent love of mine, so I wasn’t too concerned with others’ opinions on the name earlier, but it is kind of bugging me now. I’ve never been a huge fan of TKMB–it’s a great story, and [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name] stood up for something great, but meh. I was never impressed with the story–so I’m afraid it would seem even more pretentious.

WDYT? I wouldn’t want people to think my son was pretentious, based off of his name alone, but I really like the name, and I don’t mind the association to [name]Finch[/name], either. I want my children to be the kind of people who stand up for what is right, and I can’t help but think that a good namesake like [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name] could only help. Is it really that pretentious?

Also, what would you pair it with? I’m not too fussed about whether it’s a FN or a MN–I haven’t made up my mind in that regard yet! Also, any nn options if it’s a FN? I think it might be nice to have a nn for when he’s younger. I’d thought about [name]Atty[/name]/[name]Atti[/name] or [name]Kit[/name], but both sound a bit girly to my ears.

Thanks, ladies!

I don’t think it’s pretentious at all! I think it’s a solid, ancient name with strong roots. As for a nickname, I’m at a loss :frowning: But no worries, the berries are so creative when it comes to nicknames!

I think the only reason it might connote pretentiousness is because it’s a name that seems to be popular with the “hipster” crowd- which is virtually by definition, pretentious. But I hardly think that its popularity with one segment of society taints the name.

I like [name]Atticus[/name] a lot, and I don’t find it pretentious either. I think that [name]Kit[/name] would be a great nickname! Not too girly for me

I think [name]Cash[/name] would work for a nn. You could always pick a nn based off his personality or physical features or whatever, doesn’t have to come from his given name.

I personally do not find it so pretentious as I think it is trying too hard. I think it is better as an MN. I could see [name]Lincoln[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] or something like that be really great but I cannot see [name]Atticus[/name] being a brother to [name]Caleb[/name] or [name]Jack[/name] it just does not flow right IMHO. Sorry, I hate to say I don’t like your choices since we usually love each others names but I just really cannot picture this one.

I love [name]Atticus[/name] too. I definitely fell in love with it after reading TKAM so I guess that makes me a little predictable and pretentious but whatever - it won’t change my mind!! I was thinking that [name]Gus[/name] could also work as a nn but I must admit, I like your suggestion of [name]Kit[/name]. Reminds me of [name]Knight[/name] [name]Rider[/name] - two pop cultural references in one!! :wink:

[name]Atticus[/name] nn [name]Cash[/name] reminds me of that TV show [name]Cash[/name] in the Attic. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have this exact issue with [name]Atlas[/name] (people might find it “too much”), and also when it comes to constructing sibsets. [name]Nathaniel[/name], [name]Fabian[/name] and [name]Atlas[/name]? Probably not. Waah.

[name]Atticus[/name] is a little out-there but I don’t think that means it’s pretentious. If it’s pretentious at all, it’s way less so than respelling [name]Madison[/name] as Maddah’cynne. But I agree with dillonsfan01 that [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name] aren’t likely to be brothers, and so you could either use it as a middle name or make a new sibset with it. (Or use it on a character. That’s what I did with [name]Atlas[/name]. :)) If you do use it on a child and you are really concerned about how it will look to others, I’d take a more ordinary middle name to balance it out.

I do think it is pretentious but I kind of like it. I want to short it to [name]Atti[/name] though which just screams girl! I agree with [name]Lindsay[/name] though that [name]Caleb[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name] really don’t match. [name]Isabelle[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name] could work though. I love the [name]Lincoln[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] suggestion!!! I am trying to remember your other favorites, um [name]Daniel[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] or [name]Boone[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] are both swoon worthy too. I think it is just the prefect MN type of name.

I love [name]Atticus[/name], I think it’s strong and handsome and not at all pretentious. I remember reading the story back in my school days but it never inspired me either and because of that I never took note of the name [name]Atticus[/name]. I do think people would automatically assume the name comes from the story though so I’m not sure. I do think it would make a fantastic middle name and would add a little bit of an edge to a combo without you having to worry about the whole TKAM and pretentious vibes!

I love [name]Atticus[/name]! I like the character [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name]. Besides him, there’s a Platonist philosopher and author of lost [name]Plato[/name] commentary whose name is [name]Atticus[/name], Archbishop [name]Atticus[/name] of Constantinople, [name]Titus[/name] Pomponius Attiucs ancient [name]Roman[/name] littérateur / philosopher, Herodes [name]Atticus[/name] a Greek rhetorician, The [name]Christian[/name] martyr [name]Atticus[/name], there’s also and actor and musician with the name.

Does it make you feel any better that [name]Atticus[/name] isn’t just about [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name]? I don’t think it’s pretentious to name you child after a philosopher, a martyr, and archbishop, or a character who stood up for good and right things.

As for nicknames… Some of these are a stretch but I’ll give you everything I can thinking of:

[name]Ace[/name]
[name]Ty[/name]/[name]Ti[/name]
[name]Gus[/name]
Ats
[name]Kit[/name] (I think of [name]Chris[/name] [name]Marlowe[/name], so it’s masculine to me)
Tico

You could also call him by initial (ex [name]Atticus[/name] [name]James[/name] – AJ) or by a nickname derived from his middle name (like I’m doing with [name]Damien[/name] [name]Quillon[/name], don’t like Dame,Dami, [name]Ian[/name] but love [name]Quill[/name]). Or you could just go with no nickname as it’s a lovely strong name on it’s own.

[name]Hope[/name] I helped!

Oh dear, I can’t be entirely rational over this name because I AM one of those rabid Mockingbird fans with an eternal crush on [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name]. FWIW, I didn’t appreciate the book until I read it as an adult. I also love the idea of [name]Gus[/name] as a nickname-- and [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Gus[/name] flow quite nicely, imo.

Oh, wow, yes, I definitely do! I had seen that there were some Greek philosophers named [name]Atticus[/name] but I figured they were fairly obscure and that most would just automatically think of [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name]. But the [name]Christian[/name] martyr thing–I didn’t even know but just knowing someone named [name]Atticus[/name] was willing to die for his faith means everything to me and it’s something I would love to pass down to my son–that makes me love [name]Atticus[/name] even more!

I love the suggestion of [name]Gus[/name] as a nn, too–would it be weird to have a [name]Jack[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Cole[/name] and an [name]Atticus[/name], nn [name]Gus[/name]? I’m not saying I would, haha, I just thought it might be weird since [name]August[/name] is already on my list.

[name]Lindsay[/name] and [name]Parker[/name]–I had already considered [name]Lincoln[/name] [name]Atticus[/name], actually! I just felt like it might be a lot of name for one kid, and can you imagine being named after [name]Abraham[/name] [name]Lincoln[/name] AND [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name]? That might be a lot to live up to!

It seems a shame to stuff it in the MN spot, but I might if it just doesn’t fit with my other favorites… My lists right now are [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Arianne[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] (nn [name]Lola[/name]), [name]Violet[/name], [name]Rachel[/name], [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Magda[/name], [name]Lillian[/name]/[name]Liliana[/name], and [name]Josephine[/name] ([name]Posey[/name]) for girls, and [name]Caleb[/name], [name]Jack[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Everett[/name], [name]Grayson[/name] ([name]Gray[/name]), [name]Brody[/name], [name]Spencer[/name], [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Beckett[/name], [name]Boone[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Lincoln[/name]–does [name]Atticus[/name] work well in a sibset with any of them? If not, what can you see as [name]Atticus[/name]'s siblings?

I’m tossing around [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Atticus[/name] [name]James[/name], [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Henry[/name], and maybe [name]Jude[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] as combos… It seems like [name]Atticus[/name] needs a short-and-sweet, simple FN if it’s the MN.

I’m glad I made you feel better!

I like [name]Atticus[/name] [name]James[/name] and [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Henry[/name]. I also like:

[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Everett[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Brody[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Bailey[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name] [name]Boone[/name] *

I don’t think it would be weird to have a [name]Jack[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Cole[/name] and an [name]Atticus[/name] that went by [name]Gus[/name], especially if [name]Jack[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Cole[/name] doesn’t go by [name]Gus[/name].

I love [name]Atticus[/name]! I haven’t heard many people say it’s pretentious, only a few. I like the nn [name]Atti[/name], but [name]Kit[/name] is cool. Not a fan of [name]Gus[/name], but it might go better with your other name. [name]Jude[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] is really cute, though.

I love [name]Atticus[/name] too. Not sure if I could use it, I think it would seem too pretenious in [name]Ireland[/name], as we’re a bit more conservative name wise, but I love what it stands for in [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name] too!
I would strongly recommend you use it.

I also saw someone recommend [name]Ace[/name] as a NN in a thread months ago, I liked it and it stuck in my head!
(I think [name]Rio[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] is my favourite all round celeb choice too!)

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Atticus[/name]. [name]Love[/name], love, love it. It’s not pretentious at all, in my opinion. [name]Cass[/name] might be a cool nickname. And [name]Atti[/name] is a somewhat popular nickname for boys in Europe, not too feminine at all. If you love [name]Atticus[/name], I say GO for it!

Personally I would avoid the name, but that’s just because my fiance’s friend was picked on for having the name [name]Atticus[/name]. It’s not that the kids knew it was from a book, since he was picked on it since he was little, but it’s just weird. He was apparently teased more so in high school when it was found out that it came from a book. I don’t know him well enough, but that’s the main reason my fiance’ shies away from some of the names I like, like [name]Ezra[/name], since it’s not “common” and he doesn’t want his kid picked on like his friend was.

So just a warning, be prepared that the kid might be teased all through his life…

I live in [name]America[/name] too, so if you live in Europe, this might not apply…

I think [name]Atticus[/name] is a cute name. Something that is old-fashioned and classy, but not too boring or run-of-the-mill. Its easily spelled and pronounced but not overused and I think [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name] is a good namesake.

I used to think it was pretentious but it has grown on me a bit. I mentioned it to my 17-year-old son (who read TKMB last year) and he thinks it’s cool. Not sure how he would feel if it were actually his name though.

Edited for privacy.