I Love Eilidh-suggestions on spelling

I love the sound of [name]Eilidh[/name] (Ay-lee) but I worry about the spelling since it is an unfamilar name where I live. I would love some suggestion as to how this could be spelled so it would be easy to read and still look pretty.
My ideas so far are Isley/Eilea/Aileigh
Middle names I am thinking of are [name]Ruth[/name] or [name]Claire[/name].

We were considering the name Aile (EYE-lee) for our baby girl. It is a family name that we really love. I never could figure out a way to spell it that would not be mispronounced so eventually we moved on. A part of me wishes we had stuck to our guns. I’m really curious to hear what others have to say. Beautiful name!

I love [name]Eilidh[/name], In fact I have chosen it for one of my twin daughters. Being Scottish I really hate seeing it spelled any other way than [name]Eilidh[/name] however I also know an Ailie and that is my second favourite.

I think that if you love [name]Eilidh[/name] then you should use it. People will learn how to say/spell it after reasonably few tellings and It is beautiful and distinctive!

elliemario, I can understand how you feel about changing the spelling. I normally don’t like to change the traditional spelling of a name which is why I’m having such a hard time with this one.
Another name I am drawn to is [name]Isla[/name] which is why I am leaning towards Isley.
[name]Will[/name] have to give this a lot more thought.
Thank you for the feed back!

My suggestion to you: If you love [name]Eilidh[/name] and want it as a first name, use the original spelling which is really part of its charm. Ailey and other phonetic spellings just look made up to me. If your worry overshadows your love of this name, use it for a middle name instead.

[name]Eilidh[/name] is a lovely name, but I definitely understand your hesitation about the spelling/pronunciation problems. It’s true that you usually only have to correct people a couple of times before they get it, but this is one name that probably almost no one will pronounce correctly the first time (in the US at least). I agree that the original Gaelic spelling is really part of the charm of this name… I don’t like Ailie/Ailey as much (and I’m afraid Aileigh and Eilea look made up and unappealing to me). I would be afraid that Isley would possibly cause pronunciation problems of its own.

Here’s my favorite solution for you: if you decide you really like the name [name]Isla[/name] (great name, [name]IMO[/name]), why not name her that and call her Isley as a nickname? You could call her Isley most of the time if you wanted, but on paper people would see ‘[name]Isla[/name]’ and be much more likely to get the pronunciation right. Does that option appeal at all?

[name]Eilidh[/name] is a great name, but depending on where you live, many people will have issues pronouncing it correctly. But, that’s the case with many names, and people get by! Personally, I think Eilley is really a sweet way to spell it, but I say that as [EYE-lee] rather than [AY-lee]…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I live in scotland and only know two girls called [name]Eilidh[/name] - it’s a gorgeous and unusual name even here! I had a little girl in my class who’s name was spelt Ailie but everyone felt it didn’t work as well. Lots of people do spell it wrong or mispronounce it but my friend says it never gets her down she’ s pleased to have such a special name. FYI Her grandfather wrote a piece of scottish music called Wee [name]Eilidh[/name] when she was born which is probably on the web somewhere now! As for [name]Isla[/name] it is one of my favourite names but I think isla or at a push islay are the only two spellings to do it justice! I say go for [name]Eilidh[/name]!! Lx

I’m a traditionalist when it comes to spelling. But in extreme cases, like [name]Caoimhe[/name], [name]Ciara[/name], or, yes, [name]Eilidh[/name], I understand changing it, especially if you live in the US. Honestly, I think the original spelling is far more trouble than it’s worth. There’s a reason most people spell their name [name]Kevin[/name] and not Caoimhin. But, if this makes you feel better, Ailey is a name in its own right. You don’t have to end up with a made up spelling. It’s a really name, often listed as a form of [name]Helen[/name] (via [name]Aileen[/name]). It’s also a surname- there is a famous dancer called [name]Alvin[/name] Ailey.

Thank you everyone for your advice.
I heard the name through an aquantience who’s grandaughter is names [name]Eilidh[/name]. They pronounce it Eye-lee, which I loved. As I have been looking into it more, I realize it’s mostly pronounced like [name]Hayley[/name] without the H, which I don’t love as much.
If I go with [name]Eilidh[/name], or a form of it, can it be pronounced Eye-lee? Is this just a matter of pronounciation which varries from place to place the way some words sound different because of a persons accent? I know that the little girl’s mother has scottish harritage, I believe she was born in [name]Scotland[/name] but grew up here in [name]Canada[/name].
I’m not really sure what I’m going to do. I’m having a hard time finding a name I really like.

I really like [name]Eilidh[/name] too. It’s very pretty. I always want to pronounce it eye-lee but yes, it’s actually ay-lee, at least according to everything I’ve read. I don’t see anything wrong with pronouncing it eye-lee, though. There’s always Eilley or Isley, though I really like [name]Eilidh[/name] best. For what it’s worth, if I ever used it I’d pronounce it Eye-lee. I think you’ll have to correct people regardless of which way you choose to pronounce it, so why not go with the pronunciation you prefer?

[name]Hope[/name] this helped and good luck!

I have a friend named [name]Eilidh[/name] who has been called Eye Lid ever since one of the teachers got it wrong… If you wanted the ay-lee pronounciation then I’d say go for it (nothing compares to the original theory!). As you really want eye-lee though, I’d go for something which when correctly pronounced is the name you want! As a [name]Scot[/name] myself, it is painful to hear that someone is using our heritage names then deliberately mispronouncing them…! (If you are going to use a nightmare-esque gaelic spelling then make sure it is actually the name you want!)

I like Isley very much. I don’t think it would be too difficult pronounciation wise with the increasing popularity of [name]Isla[/name] and [name]Isle[/name] is pronounced eye-l anyway!

Sorry to rant! [name]Val[/name] x