I need assistance.. badly

I’m thrilled I found these message boards, as it seems, from reading several pages of posts, I can find some kindred naming spirits here.

I’m due with my second girl in mid-[name]September[/name]. I am absolutely stumped. My daughter’s name is [name]Gretchen[/name] [name]Sofia[/name]. I have not found a name I’m in “love” with this time… and honestly, I wasn’t last time. I had to be harassed by the hospital staff before I went home (and ultimately read off a list of names to the baby, who looked up on [name]Gretchen[/name])… at any rate… I’d like to avoid that kind of last minute stress again :slight_smile:

So, I made a list of names I like and thought I’d throw it out there and see what others thought. I’m open to suggestions, possible problems with names, new names to consider, first/middle combos, anything really. The names as written is what the baby would go by… I’m not a big fan of nicknames, generally.

[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name]
[name]Molly[/name]/[name]Mollie[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

When I read your list the first one that popped out at me was [name]Hazel[/name]…

I would go with a smoother sounding name with [name]Gretchen[/name].

[name]Gretchen[/name] and [name]Sadie[/name] *
[name]Gretchen[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Gretchen[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Gretchen[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Gretchen[/name] and [name]Celia[/name]*

• I really like these

Good [name]Luck[/name]

I love the name [name]Gretchen[/name]! For baby two, I love your choices ther as well. As a fan of [name]Anne[/name] of [name]Green[/name] Gables, [name]Cordelia[/name] warms my heart (the name [name]Anne[/name] wished was hers) I’ve always thought that names don’t get any prettier than [name]Elizabeth[/name]. It’s high on the popularity lists, but it’s classic-not trendy. Although, I think a nickname is inevitable for [name]Elizabeth[/name].

[name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name] were definitely worrisome for the nicknames. I definitely do NOT like [name]Jo[/name], [name]Joey[/name], [name]Josie[/name], [name]Liz[/name], [name]Beth[/name], [name]Lizzy[/name], [name]Libby[/name], etc. I like [name]Elise[/name], which I think is a variant of [name]Elizabeth[/name], but not really a nickname people would associate naturally.

I’m due with my second girl in mid-[name]September[/name]. I am absolutely stumped. My daughter’s name is [name]Gretchen[/name] [name]Sofia[/name]. I have not found a name I’m in “love” with this time… and honestly, I wasn’t last time. I had to be harassed by the hospital staff before I went home (and ultimately read off a list of names to the baby, who looked up on [name]Gretchen[/name])… at any rate… I’d like to avoid that kind of last minute stress again :slight_smile:

So, I made a list of names I like and thought I’d throw it out there and see what others thought. I’m open to suggestions, possible problems with names, new names to consider, first/middle combos, anything really. The names as written is what the baby would go by… I’m not a big fan of nicknames, generally.

I will put stars next to my faves:

[name]Cordelia[/name]*
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]**
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]**
[name]Kendall[/name]
[name]Molly[/name]/[name]Mollie[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]* this used to be my fave name, but now I love [name]Veronica[/name] even more. Also love [name]Laura[/name], my dd’s name.
[name]Josephine[/name]*
[name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]**
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]**

More ideas for you:
[name]Adelaide[/name] nn [name]Ada[/name] [name]Addie[/name], and [name]Delia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name] - see [name]Annika[/name], this would sound good, too.
[name]Annika[/name] - would sound so good with [name]Gretchen[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] - love [name]Gretchen[/name] and [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name] - nice with [name]Gretchen[/name]
[name]Danica[/name] - ditto, I just love [name]Danica[/name] with [name]Gretchen[/name]. But maybe I love [name]Annika[/name] even more.
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Gwenyth[/name]
[name]Harriet[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Hollis[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name] - but you have to live in a very cool area to pull this off.
[name]Leona[/name] - doesn’t go with [name]Gretchen[/name] but I really love it.
[name]Liesl[/name] - not a popular name on Nameberry but I love it. [name]Love[/name] with [name]Gretchen[/name].
[name]Louisa[/name] nn [name]Lulu[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Noemi[/name]
[name]Ottilie[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]

These are all lovely names! You really can’t go wrong wilth any of them. I also love [name]Gretchen[/name]. Very unusual!

[name]Cordelia[/name] - [name]Love[/name], love, love! [name]Cora[/name] is a nn, but it doesn’t immediatley jump out at ya :slight_smile:
[name]Bridget[/name] - I don’t love this one…and it feels a little off with [name]Gretchen[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] - hmm…is this a little too sweet with [name]Gretchen[/name]? To me [name]Gretchen[/name] is fiery and spunky…[name]Penelope[/name] has the spunk, but maybe not the fire?
[name]Hazel[/name] - I really like this one
[name]Susannah[/name] - Fits well with [name]Gretchen[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] - not my style…
[name]Molly[/name]/[name]Mollie[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]! I don’t know why I’m so drawn to this name, but I really am
[name]Elizabeth[/name] - I like your other choices better :slight_smile:
[name]Josephine[/name] - I’d steer clear if you hate the nn’s
[name]Meredith[/name] - Fits perfectly with [name]Gretchen[/name]…This is my second choice (behind [name]Cordelia[/name])
[name]Catherine[/name] - nn [name]Cate[/name] will be inevitable
[name]Tessa[/name] - oooo! [name]Love[/name] as well! I think I change my mind…this is second…[name]Meredith[/name] third :slight_smile:
[name]Genevieve[/name] - love, but I’m not sure it fits with [name]Gretchen[/name]…too frilly I think…

I love [name]Gretchen[/name]! The name that popped out at me was [name]Cordelia[/name]! Its so beautiful and underused. That would be my choice :smiley:

Good luck!

[name]Kendall[/name] isn’t very popular, and so pretty :slight_smile:

[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] <---- So cute!
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Isla[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Avery[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Aubrey[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Amelie[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Alexis[/name]
[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]

[name]Cordelia[/name]: I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name], but I don’t think she’ll get through life without being called [name]Cora[/name] or [name]Delia[/name] by someone! I think it’s such a gorgeous name!

[name]Bridget[/name]: I really like [name]Gretchen[/name] and [name]Bridget[/name] (they both feel like perky, high-energy names), and aside from the occasional “[name]Bridge[/name]” nickname, I think you’ll be okay.

[name]Penelope[/name]: [name]Just[/name] like [name]Cordelia[/name], I love it, but can’t see her going through life without being called [name]Nell[/name], [name]Poppy[/name], or [name]Penny[/name].

[name]Hazel[/name]: I love it!

[name]Susannah[/name]: See [name]Cordelia[/name] and [name]Penelope[/name]…

[name]Kendall[/name]: I’m personally not a [name]Kendall[/name] fan…

[name]Molly[/name]/[name]Mollie[/name]: I do think [name]Molly[/name] is cute, but I think it’s pretty dated…

[name]Elizabeth[/name]: See [name]Cordelia[/name]…

[name]Josephine[/name]: See [name]Susannah[/name]…

[name]Meredith[/name]: Other than the occasional “Mer,” I think Mer avoids the multiple nicknames issue…

[name]Catherine[/name]: See [name]Elizabeth[/name]…

[name]Tessa[/name]: I can see it being shortened to [name]Tess[/name] (love [name]Tess[/name]), but I think it’s really pretty…

[name]Genevieve[/name]: See [name]Catherine[/name]…(I think of [name]Evie[/name], [name]Viv[/name], and [name]Gen[/name]…)

I love so many of the names on your list, but a lot of them have many nicknames that (I think) are unavoidable. I think [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], and [name]Meredith[/name] would work well, though! While I don’t think it’s possible to avoid all nicknames, I think some names, particularly longer ones, naturally lend themselves to the shorter forms.

Some names that I think are more nickname-proof than others:

[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] (less likely to be shortened than [name]Elizabeth[/name])
[name]Felicity[/name] (no obvious nicknames)
[name]Fiona[/name] (other than the occasional Fi)
[name]Hope[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Hazel[/name]. If I didn’t have a friend with a daughter [name]Hazel[/name], that’s what we’d be using this time.

[name]Genevieve[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name] are both on my list, so I vote for those :slight_smile: Also, what about [name]Caroline[/name]? [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Gretchen[/name] sound nice together …

And I hear ya on not finding the perfect name this time … with our son, we knew right away, named him at 22 weeks, never looked back. I’m 29 weeks with our daughter and we can’t find a name to save our lives.

My favorites from your list are

#1 [name]Bridget[/name]
2 [name]Molly[/name]
3 [name]Hazel[/name]

I like jan’s suggestion of [name]Caroline[/name] also.

They all sound great with [name]Gretchen[/name] (I think her name is very pretty:)

Best of [name]Luck[/name]!

I don’t know if this is just me, but [name]Gretchen[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] brings to mind [name]Hansel[/name] and [name]Gretel[/name], the kids who came across the gingerbread house?

[name]Susannah[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name] are gorgeous! They’re my 2 favorites from your list.

I know an adult [name]Susanna[/name] - she’s very cool and sweet, and no one calls her “Suze” or “[name]Susie[/name]” that I know of (?).

I wouldn’t worry too much about nicknames. There’s not a whole lot you can do to completely stop people from using them … even a [name]Pearl[/name] can be “[name]Pearlie[/name]”, etc.

Good luck!

I love [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Bridget[/name] and I think they would both go nicely with [name]Gretchen[/name]. [name]Cordelia[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name] are also nice and would go well.

[name]Cordelia[/name]***
[name]Bridget[/name]*
[name]Hazel[/name] -i like this as a middle name!-
[name]Susannah[/name]*
[name]Molly[/name]/[name]Mollie[/name]**
[name]Elizabeth[/name]*
[name]Catherine[/name]*
[name]Tessa[/name]***

*=i like
**= i like/unique
***=I love/original & a name baby can use as a child & adult

Of the names you listed, I definitely think [name]Bridget[/name] goes best with [name]Gretchen[/name], and is also impervious to nicknames. [name]Meredith[/name] is great too.

My favorite name from your list is [name]Molly[/name], but it definitely has a very very different feel than [name]Gretchen[/name].

I love the suggestion of [name]Gwyneth[/name] - but would this get nicknamed [name]Gwen[/name]?

What about
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Liesl[/name] or [name]Annaliese[/name]
[name]Magda[/name]
[name]Kiersten[/name]*** I think this is a winner but will others think it dated? I don’t at all.

Your List:

[name]Cordelia[/name] - This is a pretty name, but I can’t help to think about the character on [name]Buffy[/name]/[name]Angel[/name]. Her NN was [name]Cordi[/name].

[name]Bridget[/name] - not a huge fan

[name]Penelope[/name] - Cute name, but doesn’t seem to go well with [name]Gretchen[/name]

[name]Hazel[/name] - Pretty name, but I don’t think it has the same strength was [name]Gretchen[/name].

[name]Susannah[/name] - I think the poor girl will grow up with people singing “Oh [name]Susana[/name]” to her.

[name]Kendall[/name] - I like this name, my SO and I actually tossed it around for our baby girl.

[name]Molly[/name]/[name]Mollie[/name] - I mostly dislike this name b/c it means “bitter”.

[name]Elizabeth[/name] - Beautiful classic name, but will end up being shortened.

[name]Josephine[/name] - Same as [name]Elizabeth[/name]

[name]Meredith[/name] - [name]Love[/name] the name. Not sure how well it goes with [name]Gretchen[/name], but is one of my favorites off of your list.

[name]Catherine[/name]- Same as [name]Elizabeth[/name] & [name]Josephine[/name]

[name]Tessa[/name] - Cute cute name … but she may be called [name]Tess[/name].

[name]Genevieve[/name] - Pretty name - but I am not a fan of siblings having a name that begin with the same letter.

…I saw another list someone suggested [name]Audrey[/name]. I [name]LOVE[/name] the name and feel it fits nicely with [name]Gretchen[/name]. [name]Both[/name] very classic beautiful names. We considered [name]Audrey[/name] [name]Isabell[/name] for out daughter. While I liked the name it just didn’t feel right for our little one.