I NEED THE HELP OF ALL YOU NAME NERDS! :-)

We would like to honor a couple of people with our little girl’s name, but haven’t really figured out a good combination of the names. I’ll give you the names we’re working with and see if you could help us come up with the perfect combo… :slight_smile:
We would like to honor a [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] and also a [name]Diane[/name] (could use [name]Diana[/name]).
Here are our top few choices for a first name, although we are open to suggestions.
[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Elaina[/name] (not sure on spelling)

We have considered: [name]Coralie[/name] [name]Diane[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Elaina[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] nn [name]Lainey[/name] [name]Jo[/name]
[name]Diana[/name] “[name]Caroline[/name]”
That’s great if we have two girls, but since we don’t know if we will, it would be even better if we could find a way to honor both family members with our first girl. We would possibly consider two middle names, but don’t know the best combo. Have also considered just using [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name], but can’t totally decide if we love this… What do you think? Is it too common?
Sorry for rambling on! [name]Hope[/name] some of you have some ideas for us - we would greatly appreciate any help!!! THANKS! :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name], again!

Honestly, I think [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] sounds a bit dated, like I would expect such a name on a 50-year-old woman, not a small child.

[name]Ellen[/name] is a Greek name meaning “light.” Other Greek names meaning “light” are [name]HELEN[/name] and [name]HELENA[/name]. I pronounce [name]Helena[/name] as [name]Helen[/name]-uh, but others say Heh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh - either is very pretty, and a great way to honor [name]Ellen[/name]! Other names meaning “light” include:

[name]Alena[/name] (Slavic)
[name]Lenore[/name] (French)
[name]Lucy[/name] (English)
[name]Nell[/name] (English)
[name]Svetlana[/name] (Slavic)

[name]Joyce[/name] is an English name meaning “little lord.” I can’t seem to find another name meaning that! [name]Joy[/name] could work, as it has the same sound…

[name]Diane[/name] is a French name meaning “divine.” Other names meaning “divine” include:

[name]Diana[/name] (Greek)
[name]Dionne[/name] (French)
Kimaya ([name]Indian[/name] - Sanskrit)

And, [name]Theodora[/name] means “divine gift.”

I would suggest either [name]Helena[/name] [name]Joy[/name] or [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] for your daughter’s name! Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name]

Could you use two middle names? It is very common here in [name]England[/name], and completely reasonable in order to honour two people …

[name]Joyce[/name] could become [name]Joy[/name], and how about [name]Eleanor/name, [name]Elodie[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name] for [name]Ellen[/name]? In fact, I think [name]Elaina[/name] could really honour [name]Ellen[/name], but [name]Elaina[/name] [name]Diane[/name]/a doesn’t have brilliant flow …

I adore [name]Coralie[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name]!

Good luck!

[name]Coralie[/name] [name]Diane[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] nn [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Elaina[/name] [name]Diane[/name] [name]Joyce[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Joyce[/name]

Or if you are open to not using the exact full name of who you are honoring, but still using a bit of the name (and these are usually more modern combos, but not always) then here is a list of possible middle names, you could pair them with any of your first names:
[name]Ann[/name] [name]Joyce[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Joy[/name]-[name]Ann[/name]… I think this could work well. It takes [name]Ann[/name] from [name]Diane[/name] and [name]Joy[/name] from [name]Joyce[/name].
[name]Ellena[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Joelle[/name]… This may be a bit of a strech for you but it takes [name]Jo[/name] from [name]Joyce[/name] and [name]Elle[/name] from [name]Ellen[/name]. I think it is very pretty.
[name]Ella[/name]-[name]Joy[/name]…Pretty far strech, but very cute.
[name]Anna[/name]-[name]Joy[/name]
[name]Joy[/name]-[name]Anna[/name]
Anelle

[name]Coralie[/name]

I would not use either [name]Joyce[/name] or [name]Diana[/name] and you don’t have to use [name]Joyce[/name] to get ‘joy’.

[name]Caroline[/name] means joy or beautiful woman so you can’t lose either way.

Suggestions

[name]Ellen[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Ellen[/name]
[name]Anna[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] (leave out the [name]Di[/name] part, who wants to have die in their name?)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! One thing that I think didn’t explain very well…
I want to use [name]Ellen[/name] OR [name]Joyce[/name], AND [name]Diane[/name]/[name]Diana[/name]. [name]Ellen[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] is one person we want to honor (but not using both of her names) and [name]Diane[/name] is the other one. I don’t know if that’s clear or not? Someone asked if we could use two middles, and yes, that is an option. Thanks everyone!

Of course I’ll be the one to suggest an anagram. :slight_smile:

[name]Ellen[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] + [name]Diane[/name] = [name]Joelliane[/name] [name]Denyce[/name]

[name]Ellen[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] + [name]Diana[/name] = [name]Daniela[/name] [name]Jocelyne[/name]

– [name]Nephele[/name]
[name]EDIT[/name]: Sorry, just saw your last posting after I already posted this. But I kind of like combining all three names, anyway. :slight_smile:

Okay, then -

What about [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name]? [name]Lucy[/name] for [name]Ellen[/name], as both names mean “light,” [name]Diana[/name] for [name]Diane[/name], and [name]Joy[/name] for [name]Joyce[/name]!

I like your suggestion of [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] as a double middle! I never thought of that combo! :slight_smile: [name]Lucy[/name] isn’t really my style though… Another thing - my hubby and I both liked the idea of [name]Elaina[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] nn [name]Lainey[/name] [name]Jo[/name], but would love to get [name]Diana[/name]/[name]Diane[/name] in there too. Could this work?

Nelphene (can’t remember if that name is right - sorry!). Thanks for the annaprams - those were fun! :wink:

I like your suggestion of [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] as a double middle! I never thought of that combo! :slight_smile: [name]Lucy[/name] isn’t really my style though… Another thing - my hubby and I both liked the idea of [name]Elaina[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] nn [name]Lainey[/name] [name]Jo[/name], but would love to get [name]Diana[/name]/[name]Diane[/name] in there too. Could this work?

Nelphene (can’t remember if that name is right - sorry!). Thanks for the annaprams - those were fun! ;-)[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Just[/name] a question - what is it about [name]Lucy[/name] that isn’t your style? It seems like [name]Elaina[/name] has a delicate, soft sound that maybe [name]Lucy[/name] doesn’t have; is that part of it?

I was thinking you could do [name]Elaina[/name] Joyanne (but that is made up) or [name]Elaina[/name] [name]Joanne[/name] to combine [name]Joyce[/name] and [name]Diane[/name]. What do you think of that? [name]Elaine[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [name]Diane[/name] isn’t so good - using [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] as a double middle name works best with a two-syllable first name in my opinion.

More names you could choose from:

[name]Amy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Amy[/name] - Latin - “beloved”]
[name]Cary[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Cary[/name] - English - “pure”]
[name]Daisy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Daisy[/name] - American - “daisy flower”]*
Eilley [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [Eilley - Irish - “beautiful bird”]
[name]Glory[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Glory[/name] - English - “glory”]*
[name]Holly[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Holly[/name] - English - “plant with red berries”]
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Ivy[/name] - English - “climbing vine plant”]
[name]Keely[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Keely[/name] - Irish - “beautiful”]*
[name]Lainey[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Lainey[/name] - English - “from the lane”]
[name]Libby[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Libby[/name] - English - “God is my oath”]*
[name]Lily[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Lily[/name] - English - “lily flower”]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Mary[/name] - Hebrew - “sea of bitterness”]
[name]Mercy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Mercy[/name] - English - “compassion”]
[name]Molly[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Molly[/name] - English - “sea of bitterness”]*
[name]Nelly[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Nelly[/name] - English - “light”]
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Poppy[/name] - Latin - “from the flower”]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Ruby[/name] - English - “red gemstone”]*
[name]Zoey[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Zoey[/name] - Greek - “life”]

I personally love the sound of a two-syllable name ending in Y with the double [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] middle name. But, I don’t know if you are open to new names or if any of these are your style. I starred (*) my favorites. Good luck!

[name]Lemon[/name]

[quote=“lemon”]
MY REPLY IN BOLD…

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Just[/name] a question - what is it about [name]Lucy[/name] that isn’t your style? It seems like [name]Elaina[/name] has a delicate, soft sound that maybe [name]Lucy[/name] doesn’t have; is that part of it?
HMMM… IT’S HARD TO [name]SAY[/name] EXACTLY WHAT IT IS, BUT YES, I [name]DO[/name] LIKE SOFTER, GIRLIER NAMES. ALSO I KNOW A [name]LUCY[/name], SO I KIND OF THINK OF HER WHEN I HEAR THE NAME… ???
I was thinking you could do [name]Elaina[/name] Joyanne (but that is made up) or [name]Elaina[/name] [name]Joanne[/name] to combine [name]Joyce[/name] and [name]Diane[/name]. What do you think of that?
NOT BAD, BUT FOR SOME [name]REASON[/name] IT [name]JUST[/name] DOESN’T STICK OUT TO ME.
[name]Elaine[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [name]Diane[/name] isn’t so good -
I AGREE
using [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] as a double middle name works best with a two-syllable first name in my opinion.

More names you could choose from:

[name]Amy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Amy[/name] - Latin - “beloved”] I THINK [name]AMY[/name] IS A REALLY CUTE NAME, BUT I KNOW AT LEAST 6 AMYS. I GUESS I [name]JUST[/name] PREFER A NAME THAT’S LESS USED.
[name]Cary[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Cary[/name] - English - “pure”] SO FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION THIS ONE - MY NAME IS [name]KERRI[/name]! :slight_smile:
[name]Daisy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Daisy[/name] - American - “daisy flower”]* WE USED TO HAVE A DOG NAMED [name]DAISY[/name], SO THIS ONE WOULDN’T WORK.
Eilley [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [Eilley - Irish - “beautiful bird”] [name]LOVE[/name] THE MEANING! [name]HOW[/name] [name]DO[/name] YOU PRONOUNCE EILLEY?
[name]Glory[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Glory[/name] - English - “glory”]* NOT REALLY OUR STYLE…
[name]Holly[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Holly[/name] - English - “plant with red berries”] HAVE A [name]FRIEND[/name] WITH THIS NAME
[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Ivy[/name] - English - “climbing vine plant”] HUBBY DOESN’T LIKE THIS ONE
[name]Keely[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Keely[/name] - Irish - “beautiful”]* HMMM… NOW THIS ONE IS INTERESTING! AGAIN, I [name]LOVE[/name] THE MEANING. POSSIBLY TOO CLOSE TO MY NAME - [name]KERRI[/name]???
[name]Lainey[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Lainey[/name] - English - “from the lane”] [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name], [name]LOVE[/name] [name]LAINEY[/name] AS A NN, BUT NOT SO MUCH AS A FIRST NAME
[name]Libby[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Libby[/name] - English - “God is my oath”]* AGAIN, IT’S OK AS A NN
[name]Lily[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Lily[/name] - English - “lily flower”] FOR SOME [name]REASON[/name] I [name]DON[/name]'T CARE FOR [name]LILY[/name]
[name]Mary[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Mary[/name] - Hebrew - “sea of bitterness”] I [name]DON[/name]'T REALLY WANT A NAME THAT MEANS “BITTER”
[name]Mercy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Mercy[/name] - English - “compassion”]
[name]Molly[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Molly[/name] - English - “sea of bitterness”]* DITTO
[name]Nelly[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Nelly[/name] - English - “light”] CUTE AS A NN
[name]Poppy[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Poppy[/name] - Latin - “from the flower”] NOT MY STYLE
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Ruby[/name] - English - “red gemstone”]* THIS ONE IS KIND OF CUTE
[name]Zoey[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [[name]Zoey[/name] - Greek - “life”] NOT REALLY MY STYLE

personally love the sound of a two-syllable name ending in Y with the double [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] middle name. But, I don’t know if you are open to new names or if any of these are your style. I starred (*) my favorites. Good luck!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUGGESTIONS! AND YES, WE ARE OPEN TO NEW NAMES!

SOMETHING [name]ELSE[/name] I THOUGHT OF - WE COULD POSSIBLY [name]JUST[/name] USE [name]JO[/name] IN PLACE OF [name]JOYCE[/name] OR [name]JOY[/name]. I [name]DON[/name]'T KNOW…

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!

[name]Do[/name] you think that [name]Danica[/name] could honor [name]Diana[/name]. They sound so similar. I just love the name [name]Danica[/name]!

Hmmm…I see what you mean, they do sound similar. I really would rather stick as close to [name]Diane[/name] as possible though. [name]Even[/name] [name]Diana[/name] is a bit of a stretch for me. :wink: Thanks so much for suggestion though!

[name]Kerri[/name],

[name]Glad[/name] you liked some of the new suggestions. I think that [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] is my favorite, but the Irish names are really fresh and modern, too…

Eilley is pronounced like Eye-lee, and Eilley [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] is cute, feminine, modern, and it has a lovely meaning - “beautiful bird.”

[name]Keely[/name], with its “beautiful” meaning, is a really cute name, and I don’t think it is too close to [name]Kerri[/name], personally.

Let me know if you need any more help!

[name]Lemon[/name]

[quote=“lemon”][name]Kerri[/name],

[name]Glad[/name] you liked some of the new suggestions. I think that [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] is my favorite, but the Irish names are really fresh and modern, too…

Eilley is pronounced like Eye-lee, and Eilley [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] is cute, feminine, modern, and it has a lovely meaning - “beautiful bird.”

[name]Keely[/name], with its “beautiful” meaning, is a really cute name, and I don’t think it is too close to [name]Kerri[/name], personally.

Let me know if you need any more help!

Thanks so much! You have been SO helpful! I looked up Eilley and fond the pronunciation, and also asked my hubby about it. He really likes it!
I’m so excited!!!

I love [name]Coralie[/name] [name]Diane[/name] and [name]Diana[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]! :slight_smile:

I don’t think I saw it on your list, but have you considered honoring [name]Ellen[/name] with [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Helena[/name]? You could use [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Diane[/name]…If you wanted something unisex, there’s also [name]Ellery[/name] [name]Diane[/name]. Oh! And I think that [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] is pretty. :slight_smile: I love [name]Diana[/name], nn [name]Annie[/name]. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

[/quote]

[name]Kerri[/name],

I’m so pleased that you are agreeing on something! I think that Eilley is a fresh alternative to [name]Ellery[/name] and other surname names that are heading toward trendiness, yet it maintains much of that modern, unisex feel. Yet, the name also has a decidedly feminine, elegant, sweet sound to it, paired with a simply lovely meaning - “beautiful bird” - and, it’s Irish!

I really like Eilley [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] - does it work with your surname? I know you haven’t 100% decided on this name, but I’m glad you are getting somewhere.

Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance, [name]Kerri[/name]. You are a pleasure to help!

[name]Lemon[/name]

[name]Love[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] so much! [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Diane[/name] is so pretty, too. [name]Love[/name] those classic names. So easy to live with and they never have a short shelf life like some of these more contemporary names do.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] so much! [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Diane[/name] is so pretty, too. [name]Love[/name] those classic names. So easy to live with and they never have a short shelf life like some of these more contemporary names do.[/quote]

Ditto! I absolutely love [name]Diana[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] (and [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Diane[/name], but not as much as [name]Diana[/name] [name]Caroline[/name])! (If I didn’t have an Aunt [name]Diane[/name], I’d use [name]Diana[/name] in heartbeat!) :slight_smile:

Take care! :slight_smile:

Thanks again ladies for all your help! Sorry I don’t have time to respond individually, but here’s a bit of an update…
We are considering
[name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name] nn [name]Annie[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name] [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
Eilley [name]Diana[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Elena[/name] [name]Diane[/name]

Or if we decide not to bother trying to honor both family members with the same name, we’re considering:
*[name]Coralie[/name] [name]Diane[/name]
*[name]Cassia[/name] [name]Diane[/name]
[name]Marlena[/name] [name]Diane[/name]
[name]Diana[/name] “[name]Caroline[/name]”
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Diane[/name]

Hubby doesn’t care for the suggestions of [name]Eleanor[/name] and [name]Helena[/name], but [name]Ellery[/name] is kind of cute…

Oh, last name sounds like Maynar.

Thanks for all the help!