I think I dug myself in a hole with my children's names. Greek names

Three years ago I asked for your advice for my 3rd child’s name. She was supposed to be my last. Now I’m expecting #4 a huge surprise and I don’t like any names for a girl or boy.

I have strict guidelines too. Must be a greek name and I want to rule out names already used in my big fat Greek family.

Here are my children’s names:

[name]Elias[/name] [name]Anastasios[/name]
[name]Eleni[/name] [name]Athena[/name]

See where I dug my first hole with the first two names? Then I decided to change a bit with #3 at the suggestion of nameberries.

[name]Ione[/name] [name]Artemis[/name]

#4?

If boy:
My father would probably be heartbroken if I don’t go with [name]Dimitri[/name] but I do not want that as a first name.

I kind of like [name]Lukas[/name] [name]Dimitri[/name] or [name]Leonidas[/name] ([name]Leo[/name]) [name]Dimitri[/name] but so darn popular!

If girl:
I’ve got nothing for a first name except a reject from dd#2.

[name]Ianthe[/name]

I feel like using [name]Aphrodite[/name] as her middle name because I’ve already used [name]Athena[/name] and [name]Artemis[/name] for my daughters

I don’t love anything, not even a name that would break my rules. Once again my husband is no help, he just says no on every suggestion without giving a suggestion of his own.

Thanks!

I’m going to give you some Greek name suggestions (I’ve never seen my Big Fat Greek Wedding so I may use some of the names that appeared on that film).

Girls

[name]Persephone[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]/[name]Evangelia[/name]
[name]Angeliki[/name]
Stavroula
Paraskevi
[name]Eirene[/name]/[name]Irene[/name]/[name]Irini[/name]
Despina
[name]Zoe[/name]
Sotiria
Marianthi
Vasiliki
Chrysanthi
[name]Melina[/name]
[name]Xenia[/name]
[name]Stefania[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Theodosia[/name]
[name]Ioanna[/name]
[name]Alethea[/name]
[name]Anatolia[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]/[name]Callisto[/name]
[name]Clio[/name]
[name]Cressida[/name]
[name]Damaris[/name]
[name]Demetria[/name]/[name]Demeter[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name]
[name]Larissa[/name]
[name]Nerissa[/name]
[name]Odessa[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name]
[name]Thalassa[/name]
[name]Althea[/name]
[name]Phaedra[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Anemone[/name]
[name]Alyssa[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Antigone[/name]
[name]Olympia[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
[name]Thaddea[/name]
[name]Zenobia[/name]

Boys

[name]Andreas[/name]
[name]Petros[/name]
[name]Thanos[/name]
Spyridon/Spiridon
[name]Kostas[/name]
[name]Nikos[/name]
[name]Christos[/name]
[name]Yannis[/name]
[name]Constantine[/name]/Konstadinos/[name]Constantinos[/name]
[name]Basil[/name]
[name]Leander[/name]
[name]Philo[/name]
[name]Philip[/name]
[name]Stavros[/name]
[name]Vasili[/name]
Aristides
[name]Achilles[/name]
Evangelos
[name]Alexander[/name]/[name]Alexandros[/name]

I’ve know (and dated!) two Greek boys. [name]One[/name] was Yiannis (he dropped the s) and the other was [name]Aris[/name]. I really like both names. Oh and Yianni had a sister (and 3 cousins) named [name]Rhea[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t love that one, but his Greek family sure did!

I don’t have any suggestions for first names, but you could go [name]Ariadne[/name] for a girl middle :slight_smile: Also, I really like [name]Ianthe[/name], FWIW.

Greek names I like in no particular order

I do love [name]Ianthe[/name], btw.

Also I cannot use girls names that end in -ee sounds very well with our last name so needless to say those are my absolute favourites of the (gorgeous) Greek language.

Girls
[name]Xanthe[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Iolanthe[/name]
Xylia - this is not especially traditional though from what I’ve heard.
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Thalassa[/name]
[name]Selene[/name]/[name]Selena[/name]
Hesper/Hesperia
[name]Demetria[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]

Boys
[name]Dimitri[/name] I actually really love. Admittedly I’m the sort of person who also likes [name]Demetrius[/name]. I thought [name]Leonidas[/name] [name]Dimitri[/name] was amazingly wonderful. I must admit that I didn’t think that of all things [name]Leonidas[/name] might be called that I’d read it being called “too popular.” I think [name]Leonidas[/name] NN [name]Leo[/name] is a wonderful mix of pronouncable/heard-of without being common.

[name]Alexander[/name] - probably the gold standard of a Greek name that doesn’t commit you to a theme.
[name]Victor[/name]/[name]Viktor[/name]
[name]Lysander[/name]
[name]Damian[/name]/[name]Damianos[/name]
[name]Gavriil[/name]/[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Nicodemus[/name]
[name]Basil[/name]
[name]Lazarus[/name]

Wow what a theme! I love the Greek theme and I love all of the combos you gave your other kids.
I’d try to stick with the E- sound FN and A- MN theme as well. Personally, I’d find odd to have the last child’s name were [name]Viktor[/name] [name]Dimitri[/name] - I love the combo but it’s so different I’d constantly wonder what happened.
Below are some suggestions that fit your already existing theme:
Girls FN:
[name]Eirene[/name]/[name]Irene[/name]
[name]Ianthe[/name] (I love that you have this as your choice)
[name]Ismene[/name]
[name]Io[/name]
Girls MN:
Antigoni
[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Agathe[/name]
[name]Aphrodite[/name] (I do like that it would go with the theme of your other two daughters mn)
Boys FN:
Emmanouil
Erasmos
Evangelos
Evthymios
Iason
[name]Isaias[/name]
Isidoros
Isocrates
Boys MN:
[name]Alexander[/name]
Aeschylus
[name]Atlas[/name]
[name]Ajax[/name]
Ambrosios
Apollinaris
Archimedes

Yikes, you dated 2 different Greek boys? [name]Just[/name] kidding, I never thought I would date a Greek much less marry one but my husband thought that too and then he met me.

Yianni is [name]John[/name] in English. Most all male Greek names have an S on the end but it dropped for more casual use. [name]Aris[/name] might be Aristides, much harsher sounding. [name]Rhea[/name], was probably their grandmother’s name. The first born daughter is supposed to be named after the father’s mother (1st son after father’s father, 2nd after mother’s father). That’s why so many 1st cousins have the same name.

I come from a huge greek family, and amongst the yiannis and marias there are some interesting names, sorry for the repeats

[name]Eleni[/name]
[name]Xanthe[/name]
[name]Angelica[/name] / angeliki
[name]Anastasia[/name] (an-as-tah-SEE-ah)
[name]Florenza[/name]
Kypros ([name]KIP[/name]-ros)
[name]Christos[/name]
[name]Thalia[/name]
Despina
Costas
[name]Panos[/name]
Avgi (av-yee)

Also, I really like alcyone and it could work as a middle if you decide against aphrodite (which I love by the way)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Since I’m getting responses I don’t know if I can reply to everyone like i would like.

I thought I would add/clarify more info because I like it when other Nameberries do, so I hope you don’t mind.

I wrote this 3 years ago when I was searching for [name]Ione[/name]'s name but I’ll mention it again.

My husband’s mother died when he was 19. He told me that he wanted a daughter to be named after his mother, even though it’s already a tradition for the 1st born daughter to be named after the her father’s mother; this was especially important. So we always knew that someday we would have a daughter named [name]Eleni[/name].

We had our son first. [name]Per[/name] tradition he should have been named [name]Christos[/name] after my FIL but our last name name starts [name]Christo[/name]… So i was not having that! Also a few years before my son was born, my [name]BIL[/name] was killed. He was the kindest man and always smiling. My husband wanted to name our son after him, Anastastios, which happens to mean resurrection. I didn’t agree it it as a first name because my [name]SIL[/name] named her son that, but that’s why it’s my son’s MN. I picked [name]Elias[/name] because is was not a family name and I thought it would go well if we only had 2 kids as planned, [name]Elias[/name] and [name]Eleni[/name].

3 years later everything was going as planned. I was pregnant with [name]Eleni[/name] and I picked [name]Athena[/name] as her MN b/c I was not going to follow tradition and give her my husband’s name as her MN and I love Greek Mythology and [name]Athena[/name]. As we were about to bring [name]Eleni[/name] home and the dr was checking her out he heard a heart murmur. She ended up having multiple undetected heart defects, extremely rare case. She pretty much died on the operating table but was kept alive for 3 weeks by ECMO until every organ had shut down. The night she died, the fog was purple/violet; the same color I thought as being her color.

And that was part of the reason for [name]Ione[/name] (purple/violet jewel).

If you read my sob story, thank you. [name]Eleni[/name]'s birthday was the other day and her death is before [name]Christmas[/name], I guess i wanted to let her story out

[name]Alexander[/name] is actually not in my family nor very popular in our community. Now I’m wondering why.

Name berry keeps listing [name]Leo[/name] as on the rise. What were you thinking of all the things [name]Leonidas[/name] could be called? Terrible NNs? Lol
I think I’ll be keeping it at the top of the list for boys because it’s the only one my husband hasn’t shot down, which is surprising.

Like I said with earlier I would have to go with [name]Dimitri[/name] as a MN because it’s my dad’s name and he would be super heartbroken if we didn’t use it, he makes that clear with every child, lol. He would prefer it as the first name but I don’t think I could go for that, although it is 3 syllables like the other kids.

Oh [name]Vickie[/name], I am so sorry for your loss. I am an RRT-NPS, however never worked ECMO but understand the severity of the situation. When I read the initial thread I fell in love with the sib set of [name]Eleni[/name] and [name]Elias[/name]. So beautiful. [name]May[/name] God be with you and your family.

I like [name]Ione[/name] now I know the meaning.

Working in the NICU, a twin set name that stands out for me is boy- [name]Io[/name] and girl- Briseis. I love Briseis. It reminds me of healing calming water. [name]May[/name] this new life bring you peace, hope and joy.