"I wish my mom named me ________."

I wish SO badly that my parents named me [name_f]Seraphina[/name_f], [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], [name_f]Arabella[/name_f], [name_f]Estelle[/name_f], [name_f]Angelina[/name_f] or [name_f]Valentina[/name_f]. I despise the name I was given at birth, it always gets misspelled, it’s not girly enough and can’t be shortened!

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Lily[/name_f], and I’ve always liked it. I remember when I was maybe nine wishing I had a quirkier name, specifically [name_f]Zoey[/name_f]. And I think [name_f]Stella[/name_f] was the other one, which is funny because I now have a cat named [name_f]Stella[/name_f] (I kept the name she came with). I don’t think is was ever a strong wish, though. It might just have been because I was named for my mother’s love of gardening and I was a little contrarian and thought gardening was boring. And now I love my name and would never change it. I also really like the way it sounds with my middle and last name. I wish it hadn’t become so popular a decade or so after I was born, but hey, what can you do. I’ve actually never met another [name_f]Lily[/name_f] despite that, although I have met Lillians/Lillianas that go by [name_f]Lily[/name_f], so it still feels special enough.

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_u]Haley[/name_u], and although I was born in the mid-90s when [name_u]Haley[/name_u] was the only spelling in the top 100, I always have to correct my name (all three of my names, first, middle and last are a bit difficult to spell and I always felt so frustrated by it). I used to hate it because of that, but I’ve grown used to correcting it now that I actually don’t mind as much, but it is super irritating when family still spells it wrong after over two decades of knowing me!

I can remember wanting to be [name_f]Claire[/name_f], [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_f]Jennie[/name_f] and [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] growing up though!

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_u]Madison[/name_u]. The #3 name the year I was born. I actually love my name. It’s not my taste at all but I think it fits me, and I do think its pretty. I knew about 4 other Madisons in school.
[name_m]Ive[/name_m] always felt like [name_f]Lily[/name_f] fit me. Soft & feminine. I would definitely consider it for a future daughter.
I used to tell people my name was [name_f]Odette[/name_f]. I was obsessed with the [name_f]Princess[/name_f] of [name_f]Swan[/name_f] [name_u]Lake[/name_u].

1 Like

I wished my mom named me [name_f]Kate[/name_f] for some reason. It’s just simple and pretty. I also liked the names [name_f]Julia[/name_f]/[name_u]Julie[/name_u]/[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]/[name_f]Juliana[/name_f] bc I always loved ‘Ju’ in the beginning of the name

1 Like

When I was 8 years old I was determined to be known by the boy’s name [name_u]Seth[/name_u].
When I was 10-11 I really wanted to be [name_u]Dakota[/name_u] or [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]. I don’t really like either of those names anymore, though [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] is ok.
When I was a teenager it was [name_f]Kira[/name_f] or [name_f]Arcadia[/name_f]. Not really my style anymore either. :joy:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Tamara[/name_f]- I was almost named “[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]” and I kind of wish I had been despite my parents being glad they didn’t because of the [name_m]Little[/name_m] Mermaid (came out not long after I was born). I also chose [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] as a confirmation name (raised Catholic) and that is fairly similar to my real name but seems to have more of my vibe. If I chnage dmy name that’s probbaly what I would be- I feel like I’m a [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] at heart. Still I like my name well enough I don’t think I’d change it though I mostly go by my nickname (T) among family and variations of TJ (see username) online.

Also, as a teen we decided to all give ourselves names like the Marauders from [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and I went by [name_f]Selena[/name_f] because it was cool and related to the moon.

[name_f]My[/name_f] whole life I wanted to change my name? I always thought [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] was incredibly boring and did not like sharing my name with my uncle’s brother lol. These days, I’d rename myself [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] or maybe [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] (which I like infinitely more than my own [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_u]Marie[/name_u]), although I’ve tossed around [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_u]Maria[/name_u], [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Ashlyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Aislinn[/name_f], [name_f]Nadia[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], and [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. None are really rare but their simplicity and classic feel suit me better I think.

If I had to pick something just because I love it and not necessarily because it fits, I’d love to be [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Tirzah[/name_f], [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f], [name_f]Ayla[/name_f], [name_f]Delia[/name_f], or [name_u]Anne[/name_u]-[name_u]Louise[/name_u]. There’s actually a lot of names I would LOVE to have, but I’m an [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], through and through, even though I don’t fit the mean girl or ditzy popular girl a lot of people assume an [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] would be. :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

As someone who loves names this question is sooooo much fun! Hmmmm… well, I’ve always thought my sister, [name_f]Evie[/name_f] ([name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]) lucked out. I’m named after our maternal grandmother and she’s named after our paternal grandmother. Her name is the better of the two! I’ve grown to love my name and it works for me as an adult, but as a kid I would have gladly swapped with her!

1 Like

I had really strange name crushes I was little. I used to like the name [name_f]Gail[/name_f] a lot… (Not so much anymore :slight_smile:. Then it was [name_f]Marsha[/name_f] (I think because it reminded me of marshmallows? Not really sure). Then I liked [name_f]Nan[/name_f], which I still think is cute as a nn, but definitely not for a full name. Then I liked [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], which I think is pretty, but a little dated. [name_f]My[/name_f] three favorite names now are [name_f]Gisela[/name_f] (I just think this name is so pretty), [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] (I love how this means [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] in [name_u]French[/name_u]) and [name_f]Vienna[/name_f] (A beautiful city, and I like this better than the super popular [name_f]Sienna[/name_f]).

If I was reinventing myself * would be [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] two most favourite names ever.

1 Like

Same here! But my nicknames were [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f], [name_f]Betty[/name_f], and [name_f]Bets[/name_f].

[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] or [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]

Growing up I was always very satisfied with my name. That said, if I had chosen a new name at any point in my childhood, I probably would have been called [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. Now, I think I would choose [name_u]Skye[/name_u]. It’s bright, outdoorsy and tomboyish. I think it would suit me perfectly.