Ideas - Honouring family called Hugh and John/Jack, but can't make a working combo!

[name]Hi[/name] All,

I am hoping you might have some ideas to help us make this work please :slight_smile: Does anyone have any suggestions?

If we are having a boy (we don’t want to know until he/she is born), we would like to name him after two of our grandfathers.

My grandfather’s name is [name]Hugh[/name], no middle name.
My DH’s grandfather was called [name]John[/name], but he was known as [name]Jack[/name] all of his life. He also had no middle name.

Our surname is a 3 syllable Scottish/Irish name starting with McF.

None of the combinations below seem to work for some reason
[name]Hugh[/name] [name]John[/name] (not sure why, we just don’t like it)
[name]Hugh[/name] [name]Jack[/name] (just makes me thing of huge ass, no idea why)
[name]Jack[/name] [name]Hugh[/name] (makes me think of saying ‘jack you’ which sounds rude in my head)
[name]John[/name] [name]Hugh[/name] (we don’t like [name]John[/name] as a first name)

So we are back to square one and need some fresh opinions! We are happy to use variants of [name]Hugh[/name] or [name]John[/name]/[name]Jack[/name] for a first name, but would stick with the original name for whichever we use as a middle name.

Can you suggest any variants/combinations somehow out of the three names which might work?
We liked [name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Hugh[/name] but unfortunately [name]Jonathan[/name] is already used with close family so is a no go.

Any other ideas? Thanks, and sorry it is so long!

Perhaps a variation of [name]Hugh[/name] and [name]John[/name]/[name]Jack[/name] would be better for the sound and look of your combos.

[name]Jack[/name] [name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Evan[/name] [name]Hugh[/name]
[name]Ian[/name] [name]Hugo[/name]

Variations of [name]John[/name]/[name]Jack[/name]

[name]Ivan[/name]
[name]Johan[/name]
[name]Jan[/name]
[name]Juan[/name]
[name]Hans[/name]
[name]Yannick[/name]
[name]Sean[/name]
[name]Ian[/name]/[name]Iain[/name]
[name]Evan[/name]
Jackson

[name]Jackson[/name] [name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Jack[/name] [name]Hughes[/name]
[name]Jack[/name] [name]Hubert[/name]
[name]Jack[/name] [name]Huey[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name] [name]Ian[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name] [name]Ian[/name]
[name]Ian[/name] [name]Hughes[/name]
[name]Sean[/name] [name]Hughes[/name]
[name]Ivan[/name] [name]Hughes[/name]
[name]Houston[/name] [name]John[/name]
[name]Hewett[/name] [name]John[/name]

[name]Jack[/name] [name]Hudson[/name]

In addition to the issues that you already have with those combos, I think that [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Jack[/name] is probably too tied to the actor [name]Hugh[/name] Jackman, and [name]John[/name] [name]Hugh[/name] makes me think of the director [name]John[/name] [name]Hughes[/name]. [name]Hugh[/name] [name]John[/name] makes me think “huge one”, and it would probably sound like that in some accents.

[name]Ian[/name] [name]Hugh[/name], [name]Owen[/name] [name]Hugh[/name], or [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jack[/name] might be good options. I like mischa’s idea of using [name]Hugo[/name] or one of the many different, less expected forms of [name]John[/name].

[name]Eoin[/name] (also spelled [name]Eoghan[/name]) is a common form of [name]John[/name] in [name]Ireland[/name] is often anglicized as [name]Owen[/name] as it pronounced the same (the “e” is silent). I am from a Gaelic island in [name]Canada[/name] and [name]Eoin[/name] was a number of my ancestors’ name. They were also known as [name]John[/name]. [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Eoghan[/name], [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Eoin[/name], or [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Owen[/name] McF would be a lovely, strong name. I love [name]Hugo[/name] as it is my godson’s name (makes sense as he is a english/french boy) but it is increasing in popularity and I do really love the classic, traditional and under-used [name]Hugh[/name].

[name]How[/name] about -

[name]Evan[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Hugh[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]
[name]Hewson[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Hewett[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Ian[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Jack[/name] [name]Ian[/name]
[name]Jack[/name] [name]Evan[/name]

**[name]Evan[/name], [name]Ian[/name] and [name]Evan[/name] are all forms of [name]John[/name] in other countries.

I like the suggestions of [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Jack[/name] [name]Hughes[/name]

[name]Jackson[/name] [name]Hugh[/name] gets my vote!!

I like [name]Jackson[/name] [name]Hugh[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name] [name]John[/name].

I love [name]Hugo[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] or [name]Jackson[/name] [name]Hugh[/name].

[name]Jackson[/name] [name]Hugh[/name]! [name]Even[/name] [name]Jaxon[/name] [name]Hugh[/name], if you’re feeling adventurous. Or maybe [name]Hewett[/name] [name]Jack[/name]? Also spelled [name]Hewitt[/name].

[name]Ian[/name], [name]Evan[/name] and [name]Sean[/name] are also variations of [name]John[/name].

Hmm, lots of thoughts, thank you!! We have lots to think about and go through :slight_smile:

The one that is jumping out at me just now is [name]Owen[/name] [name]Hugh[/name] (although now I say it outloud I think of owing you, so it maybe needs to be [name]Hugh[/name] [name]Owen[/name]). DH is reading over my shoulder and also likes the sound of [name]Evan[/name]!
Thank you - I hadn’t actually realised [name]Owen[/name] was a variant of [name]John[/name], [name]Owen[/name] was a name we discussed before we decided we wanted to somehow use our Grandfather’s names in combination, so we may have the answer… [name]Jackson[/name] [name]Hugh[/name] is quite a popular one by the looks of it, but DH doesn’t like names which end in son for some reason which isn’t very helpful!

Chatting to a family member has also highlighted than my Grandfather’s surname/mother’s maiden name is a Scottish form of [name]Beatrice[/name], and is also linked to the MacBeth family… Whilst we can’t use his actual surname as a name as it means something which would sound a bit odd as a name, I have been playing around with combinations which may work if the bump turns out to be a girl…

[name]Bethany[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name]
[name]Elisabeth[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name] (nn [name]Beth[/name])
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Jacqueline[/name]

The idea of [name]Jack[/name] and [name]Hugh[/name] as a sibset is also good, this is our first and hopefully we will be have more than one LO so that could work, and if they turn out to be girls, we may have some options which might work too :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your ideas! Any more would be welcome :slight_smile: