Ideas Please

[name]Hi[/name] All -

My husband and I are having some serious blockage when it comes to baby names. I was going to wait until we find out what we’re having in a few weeks to post, but at this rate, we’ll need all the time we can get to decide on a name :). I know people on this site are awesome at coming up with ideas, and I’m open to anything you’ve got.

In general, I would say I like names that you’ve heard of but don’t hear often. Nothing too strange/unusual, but nothing too common either. I don’t think I want anything unisex (but again, I’m open to entertaining any ideas). Most importantly, I want a name that will serve them well throughout life.

Here are our current lists:

Girls -
[name]Eve[/name] - This has been my favorite name for quite some time now. I like that it’s simple and classic. I worry that it might be too similar to the big [name]Ava[/name]/[name]Eva[/name] trend that’s going on now. My name is a slight variation of one of the top names the year I was born, and I constantly have people calling me by the more common version. Slightly annoying at times.
[name]Georgia[/name] - Most days I really like this name. The husband doesn’t seem like such a fan.
[name]Geneva[/name] - My husband’s current fave. I worry that it might be a bit much or that people will only associate it with the city.
[name]Willa[/name] - I’m really really loving this name right now. My husband doesn’t seem very into it though. At the moment, I’d say it’s my current favorite though.

Boys -
[name]Nathaniel[/name] - I love, my husband does not.
[name]Gabriel[/name] - Again, I love, but my husband does not. I just think it sounds so beautiful while also being masculine.
[name]Lucas[/name] - I love, but it pretty much rhymes with our last name, so it’s definitely out.
[name]Leon[/name] - My husband really likes this name. I like it OK. I keep waiting for it to grow on me, but so far it hasn’t happened.
[name]Frasier[/name] - My husband likes. I think it sounds a little fussy.
[name]Samuel[/name] - We both like, but is it too common?
[name]Smith[/name] - We both like. I’m just not totally sold on the surname as a first name thing. I worry my baby’s name will end up sounding like a law firm or something.

Thoughts on our current list? Suggestions?

Thanks so much!

[name]Eve[/name]: I love [name]Eve[/name] so much! It’s so simple and elegant and only #655 at the moment. Like you said, [name]Eve[/name] names are popular ([name]Evelyn[/name] is#55 now), and I’m guessing many of them are nickname [name]Evie[/name], which you may want to call your daughter. [name]Eve[/name] is a timeless classic, though, and not trendy like [name]Ava[/name], and I think it’s gorgeous! There’s also [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name]…

[name]Georgia[/name]: I love [name]Georgia[/name], too! You may also like [name]Georgina[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name].

[name]Geneva[/name]: I like the other names more, but I do think it’s pretty. You may also like [name]Ginevra[/name].

[name]Willa[/name]: Oh my gosh! I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Willa[/name]!!!

More you may like:

[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Adelia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Annelise[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]/[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]/[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evi[/name])
[name]Georgina[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] (nn [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Poppy[/name])
[name]Rose[/name] (first name)
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] (nn [name]Vera[/name])
[name]Winifred[/name]

Boys -
[name]Nathaniel[/name]: I love [name]Nathaniel[/name] so much!

[name]Gabriel[/name]: Ditto!

[name]Lucas[/name]: I like some of the others more…

[name]Leon[/name]: I love [name]Leo[/name] and [name]Lionel[/name] more. ([name]Leo[/name] is one of my favorites…) :slight_smile:

[name]Frasier[/name]: [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Felix[/name]?

[name]Samuel[/name]: I love [name]Samuel[/name]! It’s popular though, like [name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Nathaniel[/name]. ([name]Samuel[/name] is #28, [name]Nathaniel[/name] is #77, [name]Gabriel[/name] is #24…)

[name]Smith[/name]: I think a lot of surnames are handsome as first names, but I can’t really see [name]Smith[/name] working up front because it’s such a common last name, not to mention the name of a women’s college.

Surnames:

[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Abbott[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Franklin[/name] (reminds me of [name]Frasier[/name])
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Finnegan[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Gibson[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Lawson[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Maxfield[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Reed[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Shepherd[/name]
[name]Truman[/name]
[name]Vaughn[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Wilson[/name]
[name]Winston[/name]
[name]Winslow[/name]

Biblical names:

[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Abner[/name]
[name]Abel[/name]
[name]Benjamin[/name]
[name]Daniel[/name]
[name]David[/name]
[name]Ezekiel[/name]
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Judah[/name]
[name]Micah[/name]
[name]Phineas[/name]
[name]Reuben[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Zachariah[/name]

Other:

[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Augustin[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Frederick[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Victor[/name]
[name]William[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love most of your suggestions. [name]Eve[/name] and [name]Georgia[/name] are my favourites from your girls list and I love your boys names except [name]Smith[/name]. I think there are better surname names out there. [name]Leon[/name], [name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Nathaniel[/name] are my faves for boys. Other names you might like that aren’t too common but not too weird either…

Girls:
[name]Fiona[/name] (lovely underused imo, nn [name]Fifi[/name] is cute too)
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]

Boys:
[name]Baxter[/name]
[name]Fletcher[/name]
[name]Dominic[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name]
[name]Vincent[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Donovan[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]

I love [name]Geneva[/name]! It has great nickname options too. I don’t immediately think of the city. In fact I didn’t even think about it until you mentioned it. [name]Georgia[/name] is cute but I like [name]Georgina[/name] even better. I also really like [name]Willa[/name], it’s spunky.
Here are some more ideas.
[name]Gemma[/name]
[name]Neve[/name]
[name]Alanna[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Mariah[/name]
[name]Gillian[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Adelle[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Julianna[/name]

[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Gavin[/name]
[name]Bryce[/name]/[name]Brice[/name]
[name]Connor[/name]
[name]Elliott[/name]
[name]Sutton[/name]

I love many of the names you are considering!

Girls:

[name]Eve[/name] - I love [name]Eve[/name]! I would strongly consider it for a daughter myself. I don’t think it would get confused with [name]Eva[/name]. [name]Even[/name] though, they are both three letters, [name]Eva[/name] has an extra syllable. I do love [name]Eva[/name] too, but [name]Eve[/name] will always be [name]Eve[/name]. No matter how popular [name]Eva[/name] gets, I don’t think we’ll ever hear of the story of ‘[name]Adam[/name] & [name]Eva[/name].’

[name]Georgia[/name] - I’m a big fan of [name]Georgia[/name]!

[name]Geneva[/name] - I have always loved this beautiful under-used name! I would consider it for a daughter myself. To me it is just a girls’ name. I do not think of the city at all.

[name]Willa[/name] - It’s pretty.

Boys:

[name]Nathaniel[/name] - I like this name. It is strong and masculine.

[name]Lucas[/name] - I like it, but probably would not choose it myself.

[name]Leon[/name] - I like it, but not enough to use myself.

[name]Frasier[/name] - It’s not my style.

[name]Samuel[/name] - Fine, handsome name that I considered for my second son. It is classic and well-known, but I don’t consider it overly common. I love the combination of sounds! It is so beautiful, yet totally masculine.

[name]Smith[/name] - I would not use it as a first name. It might cause confusion and questions when people see his name in writing.

Girls -
[name]Eve[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name] this
[name]Georgia[/name] - nice name
[name]Geneva[/name] - like this also, with nn [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] - I like this, but people may think you are saying [name]Willow[/name], not [name]Willa[/name].

Boys -
[name]Nathaniel[/name] - [name]How[/name] about [name]Nathan[/name] instead?
[name]Gabriel[/name] - nice but has a feminine feel.
[name]Samuel[/name] - like this, with nn [name]Sam[/name].

Here are our current lists:

Girls -
[name]Eve[/name] - love, also love [name]Evelyn[/name] nn [name]Eve[/name]. [name]Evelyn[/name] means “hazelnut” - so cute!
[name]Georgia[/name] - love
[name]Geneva[/name] - so pretty, also [name]Genevieve[/name] nn [name]Eve[/name]!
[name]Willa[/name] - love

Boys -
[name]Nathaniel[/name] - love
[name]Gabriel[/name] - love, also love [name]Raphael[/name] nn [name]Rafe[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name] - neutral
[name]Leon[/name] - don’t like, but I think it’s going to get hot! [name]Love[/name] [name]Lionel[/name] and [name]Leopold[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name]. I even love [name]Leonard[/name] nn [name]Leo[/name]. It’s going to take longer for [name]Leonard[/name] to come back.
[name]Frasier[/name] - do not like
[name]Samuel[/name] - love, also [name]Samson[/name].
[name]Smith[/name] - sort of don’t like.

Thoughts on our current list? Suggestions?

Thanks so much![/quote]

[name]Eve[/name] - nice
[name]Georgia[/name] - I love it
[name]Geneva[/name] - I think about the city
[name]Willa[/name] - beautiful
[name]Nathaniel[/name] - I love it, too
[name]Gabriel[/name] - gorgeous as well
[name]Lucas[/name] - not my favorite
[name]Leon[/name] - nice, I like [name]Leo[/name] better
[name]Frasier[/name] - OK
[name]Samuel[/name] - nice
[name]Smith[/name] - very common last name. I wouldn’t use it.

what about:
[name]Audrey[/name], [name]Tess[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Helena[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Alice[/name], [name]Ivonne[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Lara[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], [name]Mira[/name], [name]Nella[/name], [name]Paula[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Rhea[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Zoe[/name], [name]Lina[/name], [name]Joyce[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Maya[/name], [name]Alexandra[/name], [name]Simone[/name], [name]Carly[/name], [name]Freya[/name], [name]Louise[/name], [name]Norah[/name]

[name]Callum[/name], [name]Luke[/name], [name]Joshua[/name], [name]Gavin[/name], [name]Brennan[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Elliot[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Reuben[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Archer[/name], [name]Asher[/name], [name]Hudson[/name], [name]Declan[/name], [name]Angus[/name], [name]Gregory[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]Blake[/name], [name]Fletcher[/name], [name]Gordon[/name], [name]Myles[/name], [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Dexter[/name], [name]Tobias[/name], [name]Vincent[/name]

Girls:

[name]Eve[/name] - To me, I only think of [name]Eve[/name] (as in [name]Adam[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]) when I hear this name. Additionally, I think of the juice company, [name]Apple[/name] and [name]Eve[/name] - what a play on words THAT is! Anyway, I think that [name]Eve[/name] has an understated elegance and beauty that is certainly appealing, so I see why you chose the name. I worry that people will associate the name with [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Eva[/name], in particular, but it isn’t at the top of my concerns. I liked [name]Jill[/name]'s suggestions of [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name], both unique, gorgeous names for your baby girl. I also think something like [name]Reese[/name], though not as feminine as [name]Eve[/name], captures the same understated elegance of the name…

[name]Georgia[/name] - If you only like it most days, and your husband isn’t really a fan, I’d scrap it. You may like [name]Georgiana[/name] or [name]Georgina[/name], or perhaps another G name - [name]Giselle[/name], [name]Gloria[/name], [name]Guinevere[/name], [name]Gwendolyn[/name] - will strike your fancy.

[name]Geneva[/name] - Now, I’m all about [name]Geneva[/name], but I’m not generally a fan of overt place names. Like, [name]Lucerne[/name] wouldn’t be a typical choice. What about [name]Genevra[/name] or [name]Ginevra[/name] instead? [name]Genni[/name] or [name]Ginny[/name] work nicely as nicknames, and you avoid the place name conundrum.

[name]Willa[/name] - I like it! It is fresh and modern, but has a classic vibe - and it reminds me of [name]Willa[/name] Cather! What is your husband’s objection to it? If he doesn’t like it, names with a similar sound are [name]Cora[/name], [name]Stella[/name], [name]Vera[/name], [name]Kaia[/name], [name]Freya[/name], and [name]Alla[/name]. Or, another author name like [name]Harper[/name], [name]Auden[/name], or [name]Maya[/name] would be nice.

Boys:

[name]Nathaniel[/name] - I love it, too! But, if your husband doesn’t, then it is time to say goodbye to [name]Nate[/name]…

[name]Gabriel[/name] - It’s never sounded that masculine to me, but I do like [name]Gabe[/name] as a nickname. However, again, if your husband doesn’t like it, then it has to go. What about [name]Julian[/name] instead?

[name]Lucas[/name] - Too bad for rhymes.

[name]Leon[/name] - I think [name]Leon[/name] makes a cute middle name, a la [name]Knox[/name] [name]Leon[/name] [name]Jolie[/name]-[name]Pitt[/name]. But, I’m not loving it as a first name. It is too short to shorten to [name]Leo[/name], anyway.

[name]Frasier[/name] - I honestly hate it! It reminds me of the TV show and nothing else, and I don’t think it has a good, strong sound to it. Sound a bit geeky, too.

[name]Samuel[/name] - Pretty common, but strong and handsome. What about [name]Simon[/name] instead?

[name]Smith[/name] - This is a tough surname name to work with, as it is so simple. I think it is handsome, but I’m worried he might get called Smithy (as in a blacksmith), and that is just weird. If paired with a strong middle name, a la [name]Smith[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name], it might work. It also depends on your last name. You might like something like [name]Fitzgerald[/name], [name]Lennox[/name], [name]Austen[/name], [name]Ulysses[/name], or [name]Knox[/name].

My favourite of your girls are [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Willa[/name]. Not sure about where you are, but [name]Georgia[/name] is popular in the UK. I think [name]Geneva[/name] is similar to [name]Georgia[/name], and thus a perfect more unusal alternative. I also think, whilst [name]Eve[/name] and [name]Ava[/name], are gorgeous names, they are VERY popular - particularly in the US.

My fave of your boys are [name]Frasier[/name] (could also be [name]Frazer[/name] - maybe this is slightly cooler??) and [name]Smith[/name]. [name]Love[/name] them both and understand that they are both very different in style…one classic and will age very well, the other a very modern [name]Christian[/name] name - which style do you prefer??!

Thank you everybody for your suggestions and comments! I’ll definitely be going over it all with my husband tonight.

A few names mentioned that I’ll especially be thinking about:
[name]Tess[/name]/[name]Tessa[/name] - [name]Tess[/name] had actually be on my short list initially, but my husband convinced me it was too nicknamey. I might have to put a little more thought into it.
[name]Abram[/name] - I think I like this one. I like the nn [name]Abe[/name] and I rather like the nn [name]Bram[/name] too.
[name]Peter[/name] - I like this one quite a bit too! I had been a little concerned about the anatomical association, but I saw another thread where somebody asked about that, and I think most people said it was no big deal.
[name]Harrison[/name] - Liking this as well. [name]Will[/name] definitely have to keep it in mind.
[name]Gemma[/name] - I really like this. I suspect my husband won’t, but it’s definitely worth suggesting to him.

There were several others mentioned that are TOTALLY the style I’m looking for but I won’t use because they’re already taken either by friends or family:
[name]Juliet[/name], [name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Louise[/name], [name]Bryce[/name], [name]Isadora[/name], [name]Helena[/name]

Thanks again! You were all very helpful!

I have already picked my names and my daughters is [name]Evangeline[/name] [name]Eden[/name]. I love [name]Eve[/name]! I also love [name]Lucas[/name]! Here’s a few suggestions-

Boys-

[name]Evander[/name]
Syril
[name]Royce[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]

and girls-

Genivre
[name]Yvonne[/name] ([name]Eve[/name] for nn)
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]