If Your Child is Named After Someone

@sheena beena: Would you consider [name_u]Patrice[/name_u] (Paa-TREESSE) for [name_f]Patricia[/name_f]? Or if you used a name w/the same meaning (noble), you’d have a ton of options: any variant of [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] & [name_f]Alice[/name_f] would seem to be pretty modern.

I was not supposed to name my daughter after family members (even if I love some of my family’s names, [name_f]Daniella[/name_f], [name_f]Mathilda[/name_f], [name_f]Roberta[/name_f], [name_f]Renata[/name_f] to name just a few, as well as names of my husband’s side, [name_f]Christiane[/name_f], [name_f]Marcella[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] or [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]). But I finally named her after her late father who died unexpectedly some weeks before her birth.

My daughter’s name is [name_f]Maria[/name_f] [name_f]Danielle[/name_f] [name_f]Amalia[/name_f], her father’s name was [name_u]Marian[/name_u] (mn [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], it’s just a coincidence it’s my mother’s name) and his favourite name was [name_f]Amalia[/name_f]. I love her name (it happens that [name_f]Maria[/name_f] is my favourite name -maybe thanks to [name_u]Marian[/name_u]). OK, an expert may notice that the flow isn’t perfect, especially when combining it with my last name ([name_m]Meyer[/name_m]) which my daughter inevitably wears, but the substance of it is more important. Recently I found out that [name_f]Maria[/name_f] was the most popular name in our country (Germany) in the year she was born (1998) but it’s not important neither for me nor for her. In Germany we don’t face some of the “problems” mentioned on NameBerry, such as nicknames in the classroom. Here you are who you say you are, eg [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] not [name_f]Bella[/name_f].

My daughter is very proud she wears the name of her father and I think that family or honour names make someone more proud of their name than something unique. But it’s just me