If Your Child is Named After Someone

What is their name/who are they named after?

My oldest daughter’s middle name “[name_f]Katina[/name_f]” is her paternal grandmother’s first name.
My middle daughter’s first name “Annalyn” is a combination of my great-grandmother [name_f]Ann[/name_f] and my aunt [name_u]Lynn[/name_u].
My youngest son’s middle name “[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]” is after his dad’s first name, [name_u]Alex[/name_u].

Both of my angel babies middle names are after family members as well.
My first - “[name_u]Jay[/name_u]” is both his dad’s middle name and his grandpa’s first name.
My second - “[name_m]Edward[/name_m]” is also my grandfather’s middle name.

I do have a great Aunt named [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], but my daughter isn’t really named after her, I don’t think I ever met her and she went by her middle name anyway.

Her middle, however, is after my grandmother.

My daughter’s middle names are after my [name_f]MIL[/name_f] and my mom’s twin sister/my godmother, while my son’s 1st name shares a meaning with my mother and I, with middle names after 3 generations of [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]'s and [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]'s. We had to compromise with [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] for the middle since 1st born boys are given the middle name [name_m]Daniel[/name_m] in my family while my husband was the 3rd [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (but didn’t want to name his child that). Working on honour names for baby #3
Evren (from [name_m]Ephraim[/name_m] – 2nd son of [name_m]Joseph[/name_m])
[name_u]Tobin[/name_u] (my dad’s nn with certain friends was [name_u]Toby[/name_u])
[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] (husband’s great uncle from Hungary & my very close friend)
[name_f]Lena[/name_f] (combo of my maternal grandparents - Lennis & [name_f]Helen[/name_f])
[name_u]Karsten[/name_u] (after my middle name & my mom’s triplet who passed as an infant, [name_f]Christine[/name_f]).
[name_f]Raine[/name_f] (after my paternal grandmother, [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] … any other suggestions on this one would be great since [name_f]Raine[/name_f] isn’t my cup of tea)

Currently trying to come up with something creative to honour [name_f]Patricia[/name_f] ([name_f]Patti[/name_f]), my aunt who is losing her battle with cancer. Any suggestions for [name_f]Patricia[/name_f]/[name_f]Patti[/name_f] that might make it more current would be appreciated (although I don’t mind a traditional middle name).

[name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] - [name_f]Lorna[/name_f]? Thought I actually really like [name_f]Raine[/name_f].
[name_f]Patricia[/name_f] - [name_f]Trish[/name_f]/[name_u]Tris[/name_u]?

I don’t actually have any children yet but when I do I hope to name a girl after my grandma ([name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f]) but I’m unsure of how, perhaps [name_f]Maud[/name_f] in the middle spot or I’m debating going with [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] instead which is a variation. Then there’s the possibility of [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] or [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] because [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]/a are variations of [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].

Any boy we have will have the middle name [name_u]James[/name_u] which is my husband and his dad’s middle name and his grandad’s first name. It is also my mother’s maiden name.

@enoel3 - Thanks for the suggestions! I definitely prefer [name_f]Raine[/name_f] over [name_f]Lorna[/name_f]. I feel like [name_f]Patricia[/name_f] is going to give me a run for my money. The full name is growing on me. It’s nice and soft and I like that quality.

@essa - Luckily for you, [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] has numerous variations! – [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_f]Libby[/name_f], [name_f]Lilly[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]/[name_f]Elisa[/name_f], [name_f]Elli[/name_f], [name_f]Bethany[/name_f], [name_f]Bettina[/name_f], [name_f]Liliana[/name_f] and the list goes on. Can’t go wrong with such a beautiful classic!

my daughter is [name_f]Isobel[/name_f] [name_f]Yvonne[/name_f]…she’s named after both my grandmothers.

No babies yet, but for the baby I’m pregnant with the name [name_u]Alton[/name_u] is a series contender for middle name if it’s a boy. [name_u]Alton[/name_u] was my great uncle’s name, and I was really close to him. My dad’s middle name is [name_m]Allen[/name_m], after his uncle [name_u]Alton[/name_u], so it would kind of be a 2-for-1 namesake of both uncle [name_m]Al[/name_m] and my dad. I like the idea of passing the name on to another generation.

my plan is to name a boy after this old man I’m really close to, even though we’re not related. I really admire him and also I love his name (maybe because he has it? I don’t know, i only know two people named like this). and the name is amos (pronounced ah-mos)

my favourite girl names are miriam and isobel. as it happens two of my mom’s close friends who passed away were named mariangela and isabella (we’re italian), so miriam and isobel can both be considered honour names.

i’m not sure if i’ll end up using them, maybe as middles, maybe i’m not going to have kids at all! who knows. but i’m definitely an honour name kind of person. I would also consider my own mother (lia) and the name of my grandma’s grandma (eugenia allegra) who died in the holocaust. i kind of want to have all the babies to use all the names :smiley:

i truly feel you can never go wrong with an honour name. it’s almost like the more traditional, the better with them. i just came across another i had written down – [name_m]Nash[/name_m] after my paternal grandfather, [name_m]Ignatius[/name_m] (who only went by Naish). love reading how ppl have used and/or plan to use these special gems!

No baby yet, but we are working on it :wink:

We plan on using family names in the middle spot/spots (toying with idea of 2 middle names ) The potential candidates for girls:
[name_f]Carmella[/name_f] - my grandma’s middle name
[name_f]Safeya[/name_f] - my mother in law (my husband is middle eastern)
[name_f]Ilene[/name_f] - my mom’s middle name

For boys:
[name_m]Hassan[/name_m] - my husband name
[name_m]Mohamed[/name_m] - my husband’s grandfather and brother
[name_u]Michael[/name_u] - my grandpa
[name_u]Dean[/name_u] - my step dad’s middle name

My middle name is [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] after my grandpa [name_u]Michael[/name_u]

My angel baby got her middle from my mother and my sister’s middle name, [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. My firstborn daughter will also have a variant of [name_f]Marie[/name_f] for her sister, my sister and my mother.

[name_f]Honor[/name_f] names are my fav and I like them personally better than just a name I love. I like meaning to names, feeling connected to them some how.

Elleanora- a variation of eleanor, after my grandmother who passed away when I was little.
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f] - her middle nm
[name_f]Allean[/name_f]- my fiance great grandmother’s middle name. She was also the person to raise him, even now at 85 yrs old she takes care of him.
[name_u]Michael[/name_u]- mainly after a man who saved my life when I was little. Secondly after a man that saved my fiance life as well.
[name_u]James[/name_u]- after someone in my life that I see as a father figure for a time in my life I needed one badly.
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]- after his best friend since he was 13-14.
[name_u]Ryan[/name_u]- my brother in laws first name
[name_f]Ann[/name_f]- a variation of my middle name and my two best friends middle name.
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]- my aunts first name

We have a ton more in combos, some after family, like his sister, my brother and many more. Those are just the ones in my top 4.

I don’t have any children of my own at this stage, but a few names that I would quite like to potentially use that are family/honour names for me are:

James - grandfather, and great-grandfather
Elizabeth - a beloved auntie, and a few more are in the family tree
Suzanne - this is my sister’s middle (she passed away many years ago) which would be great to use to honour her
Linnea - for my mother
Stephen - for my Dad and also my brother’s middle

I tend to like names that have a connection to my heritage quite a lot - so there are a few Swedish or Irish names in my sig, along with names popular in Australia and the UK, and I have Swiss ties too.

My own name is after my grandmother (first) and great-grandmother (middle), one on each side of my parents’ family. There are several other names in the family that could be considered, but a part of me would like to bestow completely individual names to any children, names that are new and just ‘theirs’. I won’t really know whether I would do that, or whether honouring someone would be the definite instinct, unless I am fortunate enough to have children some day. :slight_smile:

I have no children, but my first born daughter will get the middle name [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f] after my much loved and missed grandmother by the same name. [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f] is my top contender right now, but I have a while so it may change. My middle name is after my great-grandmother [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] (my middle name is [name_f]Rose[/name_f]), so I was hoping to continue it but I am not 100% sure of it yet as [name_f]Rose[/name_f] has become such a filler.

Both our children are named for someone.
Our son, [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] or [name_m]Ned[/name_m] was named for my late Uncle who gave me so much love - he and my aunt had no children. Uncle [name_m]Ned[/name_m] embraced my husband equally and he was also my father’s best friend, albeit an in-law. So everyone was happy. Our son, [name_m]Ned[/name_m], seems really proud of the little history behind his naming.
[name_f]Miranda[/name_f] is named for my God mother, [name_f]Miranda[/name_f]; Uncle [name_m]Ned[/name_m]‘s wife, my Aunt is [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f], but uses her names in reverse, so she thought [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] was a great way to combine both her names. Actually we could not decide between [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] and [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] for our daughter and then we saw an Australian movie from the Seventies I think, and the heroine was [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] and we decided in favor of [name_f]Miranda[/name_f].
The negative was it would mean that all of our family have Shakespearean names. On the other hand [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] seemed a little sedate, [maybe it was was my aunt ]:slight_smile: but we would have loved it as a 2nd name.
[name_u]Baby[/name_u] #3 when and if he/she joins our family: no [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] names. Our parents’ names have been used by siblings and they assure us they would be really happy with a ‘new’ name.
I am not sure, I’d be happy to hear your opinions. DS & DD are so thrilled by the connections. [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] tells people, ‘both Mommy and I have ‘Sakespee’ names’ and tells me she loves listening to [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] or my version of it, for a bedtime story.
I am so interested to see many other chooses names out of honour.

I don’t have any children of my own at this stage, but a few names that I would quite like to potentially use that are family/honour names for me are:

[name_u]James[/name_u] - grandfather, and great-grandfather
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] - a beloved auntie, and a few more are in the family tree
[name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] - this is my sister’s middle (she passed away many years ago) which would be great to use to honour her
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f] - for my mother
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m] - for my Dad and also my brother’s middle

I tend to like names that have a connection to my heritage quite a lot - so there are a few Swedish or Irish names in my sig, along with names popular in Australia and the UK, and I have Swiss ties too.

My own name is after my grandmother (first) and great-grandmother (middle), one on each side of my parents’ family. There are several other names in the family that could be considered, but a part of me would like to bestow completely individual names to any children, names that are new and just ‘theirs’. I won’t really know whether I would do that, or whether honouring someone would be the definite instinct, unless I am fortunate enough to have children some day. :slight_smile:

For [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f], how about [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] or [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]/[name_f]Laura[/name_f]?

My middle name is [name_f]Marie[/name_f] something I share with my mom and great-grandma and both my sister and I have middle names that start with M, so I think I will give each of my daughters two middle names the first starting with M.

My grandmother’s name is a spelling variation of [name_f]Lorraine[/name_f] and I plan to use [name_u]Laine[/name_u] to honor her.