I'm bad at boy names! Opinions or suggestions?

I am horrible at boy names and my husband wants me to make a list for him to tear apart as we are going to start trying for #2. My boy style is so different from my girl style. In a boy name I like- Simple, ages well, maybe a bit old fashioned in a clean cut 50s way. I dislike- [name_f]Fancy[/name_f], Old fashioned in a long Biblical or mythological way, modern & surname style, tough sounding, cutesy sounding, confusing looking. My ideal name is [name_m]John[/name_m]. My back up was [name_u]Francis[/name_u]. He hates both. I liked the idea of either of those names with [name_m]Beauregard[/name_m] in the middle. I love it with a clear classic like either of those, but wouldn’t use it in the fn spot or with anything less classic. Here are some other ones like/possible options

[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

both of those are unusable cause of personal associations, but I like the sound of them.

[name_u]Sidney[/name_u]
[name_m]Cliff[/name_m]
Vitto
[name_u]Wallace[/name_u]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Ivan[/name_m]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]

My husband basically laughed at all of the above! [name_u]Wallace[/name_u] was the only one he wasn’t horrified by. The trouble is all of these are merely OK to me. [name_m]Cliff[/name_m] & Vitto are my 2 favorites.

‘Classic in a 50s way’–[name_u]Gary[/name_u]?

[name_m]Michael[/name_m]?

What about these?

Instead of [name_m]John[/name_m], what about [name_m]Jack[/name_m]? I think it has more flare. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is a gorgeous boy’s name.

[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] is biblical, but it’s a good name.

Other suggestions:

[name_m]Geoffrey[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
Finnick
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m]

I hope I was helpful. (:

I love the name [name_m]Timothy[/name_m]! I guess I should’ve mentioned that my husband seems to hate the idea of using a name that also belongs to ANYONE that we know or that he has ever known! I am currently trying to convince him how extreme this is and how difficult it’s making things, but I know [name_m]Timothy[/name_m] is out of the question because it’s a friend of ours. That also puts [name_m]Michael[/name_m] off the list as well. Most classics actually. He’s pretty set on an unusual name. He like [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] & [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] most of all.

[name_m]John[/name_m] and [name_u]Francis[/name_u] on one side, [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] and [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] on the other…hmm…

[name_m]Alfred[/name_m]
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m]
[name_m]Christian[/name_m]
[name_m]Clive[/name_m]
[name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_u]Dean[/name_u]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Garth[/name_m]
[name_m]Gerard[/name_m]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
[name_u]Glen[/name_u]
[name_m]Gregory[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]/[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] (you could nickname [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] or [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] [name_m]Jon[/name_m])
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Kent[/name_m]
[name_m]Kirk[/name_m]
[name_m]Matthias[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]
[name_m]Malcolm[/name_m]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]/[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Percival[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m]/[name_m]Stefan[/name_m] (I don’t know any babies named [name_m]Stephen[/name_m]–the youngest is maybe 10)
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
[name_m]William[/name_m]

Any of these hit near the mark? Best wishes!

By the way, this is my 900th post (pats self on back) :slight_smile:

I love [name_m]Beauregard[/name_m]. You could even consider using it as the first name if you’re really attracted to it.

[name_m]Dennis[/name_m]
[name_u]Frankie[/name_u]
[name_m]Robert[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_m]Donald[/name_m]
[name_m]Richard[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Joe[/name_m]
[name_m]Allen[/name_m]
[name_m]Donald[/name_m]
[name_u]Glenn[/name_u]
[name_m]Leonard[/name_m]
[name_u]Neil[/name_u]
[name_m]Timothy[/name_m]
[name_m]Stephen[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Philip[/name_m]
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m]
[name_m]Gregory[/name_m]

[name_m]Dennis[/name_m]
[name_u]Dean[/name_u]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_u]Neil[/name_u]

These are all great imo. I have a bad feeling my husband will reject them though!

I’ve tried convincing him we should do a [name_m]Junior[/name_m] if we end up pregnant with a boy. His name is [name_m]Maxim[/name_m] which is actually such a great combo of our styles- dapper & old fashioned, quirky & makes me think of a book/movie I like ([name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]) yet more unique/modern/tough guy which is what I think his style is