I'm in trouble

I’m having a baby girl in [name_u]March[/name_u]. I have 3 older teenage boys. The problem is, I don’t love any name. I may go through phases where I like something, then I hate it weeks later.
I’ve watched YouTube videos and sifted through names online and almost feel like every name suggested is the same.
Has anyone else had this problem? Did your child remain nameless?

It will come to you! I have definitely had to take a break from names before when nothing is appealing to me. I would recommend taking a break for a week or so and then coming back to it. Name lists on nameberry and britishbabynames.com are great for inspiration.

1 Like

Picking a name while you’re pregnant can be tough because in so many ways we’re just at the whim of whatever our hormones are doing that day/week. It helps if you have a list of favorites from before you pregnant, but there’s no guarantee any of those names would feel “right” once you’re in the situation.

Something that helps is to find a common pattern in the names you like. Any key sounds or letters you see repeating? Are you finding yourself more frequently drawn to classics, tendry choices, unique names or word names, ultra feminine or more gender neutral?
These can help you set parameters for your search to help you better hone in on the name.

And if that’s a struggle sometimes going the other way, making lists of names you hate and finding patterns among those names so you know what you aren’t looking for, can also be helpful.

And sometimes, you just need to take a break! Step back for a week or two and don’t actively search for names, then come back to it with fresh eyes.

4 Likes

This is how I feel for our girl name list too !! We are in the same page for boys and I have lists and lists. But for girls - my partner is stuck on 2 and will not budge, and I don’t LOVE those 2 so I feel like I suggest every name in the book and nothing ever lands.

2 Likes

Honestly I felt like this for a while. I always thought if I was to have a daughter her name would be [name_f]Rose[/name_f] anyways couldn’t use [name_f]Rose[/name_f] so I really struggled. I had a million names running through my mind none of them felt right I bombarded friends, relatives, the berries with ideas and then mentally took a break from naming my daughter. After taking a break I looked back on my name list and [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] just seemed perfect. It was like that’s her name. Anyways she’s due [name_u]February[/name_u] and her name will be [name_f]Lilia[/name_f].

Naming is so hard but I think mentally checking out from naming then return back to the drawing board look at your list and I would try those names out. Call out ‘[name_u]Piper[/name_u]’ see whether it fits for you test it for a day if by the end it the day your tired of [name_u]Piper[/name_u] cross it out from your list & move onto the next choice. I would repeat this process until you’ve narrowed down the names. Also I think sometimes when you get suggested a million names all at once it’s hard as you feel overwhelmed so just work on a small selection at a time.

Good luck :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

No actual experience with this yet, but don’t worry about your child being nameless!! She will get a name eventually!

1 Like

There’s a vlogger family who didn’t name their last 2 children until they were about a year old…

It’s not unusual for mom & baby to be discharged from the hospital without a baby name. It’s not super common, but it definitely happens.

You still have time! [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t panic, the right name will come to you at the right time!

1 Like

I’m sorry this has been a frustrating experience. I don’t have direct experience (still TTC) but just wanted to send some kind thoughts. I can imagine it would be hard to pick a girl name when you’ve only had boys and it’s been a few years since you were likely considering baby names. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you had considered girl names with your previous pregnancies, those names might no longer feel usable.

I think the previously loved but jettisoned names offer a lot of insight. If you know why you liked them and then why you eventually took them off your list, you might start with those characteristics the names didn’t meet. For example, if you liked the name [name_f]Jasmine[/name_f] but felt like it was too floral, then maybe [name_f]Ivy[/name_f] would give the botanical feminine look but less floral and frilly?

I know you will find an amazing name for your sweet baby girl.

3 Likes

Oh my goodness, this sounds like me. [name_f]My[/name_f] C section is scheduled in five weeks and I have found ‘the name’ about fifty times this pregnancy because of the same problem. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is sooooo sick of it, he’s saying yes to anything I vaguely like :rofl:

1 Like

What are your sons names because that way we can get a feel for what your style is and then we can suggest names that either go with your style or with the names in general

My husband says, just pick a name! I don’t even care anymore! This is exactly what is happening right now with us too!

1 Like

My teenagers names are
[name_u]Elisha[/name_u] ([name_m]Elijah[/name_m] but with a sh) [name_u]Asher[/name_u]
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]

My girl list that is ok but I don’t love
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Fay[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosette[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f] (or [name_u]Rory[/name_u])
[name_u]Harlow[/name_u]
[name_m]Forrest[/name_m]

All of your boys seem to have a Hebrew first names so here are some Hebrew girls names that I think would go nice with your boys

Elisha, [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] &

Susannah
[name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]
[name_f]Maya[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Samantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Kayla[/name_f]
[name_f]Mariah[/name_f]