Indiana

You thoughts on [name]Indiana[/name]? It’s been #1 on my list for a long time and I would like some opinions. Also, any middle names? It seems like everyone who has liked the name has paired it up with [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Grace[/name], and I want something a little different.

I’m not having kids for quite a while (still 15!), but if I ever have a daughter named [name]Indiana[/name], she would mostly be known as [name]Indy[/name]. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

2/23/13 UPDATE: Thoughts on Indiana Alice?

[name]Indiana[/name], nn [name]Indy[/name], is definitely a guilty pleasure for me :slight_smile: I don’t know that I could actually be brave enough to go through with it though, because I think it might be a little toooo hipster, and I might regret it. Or I might tire of having to deal with the more conservative people in our area (conservative southern [name]Virginia[/name]) who would probably sneer at it. The style around here is more [name]Grace[/name] and [name]Avery[/name]-esque. If I was living out [name]West[/name] or in a more metro area, I would more seriously consider it. But it always makes me smile to hear it on a little girl, so I may eventually change my mind. I do think it needs a very feminine middle name - what about [name]Pearl[/name] or [name]June[/name] as an update to [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Grace[/name]?

I know what you mean! Here in [name]Cali[/name], people have a wide variety of names, as well as as spellings. My year doesn’t really seem to care or tease people about their names during school, which is probably why I’m willing to put bolder names straight on my list, rather then GP :wink:

And you mentioning June, has reminded me of Jade…Indiana Jade, kinda cute :slight_smile:

I don’t really like the name [name]Indiana[/name] for some reason. I can’t really put my finger on it, but it sounds kind of outdated to me, like [name]Virginia[/name] and [name]Susannah[/name]. [name]Indy[/name] is pretty cute for a nickname, though, but I like it better spelled [name]Indie[/name]. As for middle names, how about:

[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jade[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]May[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Monet[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Sage[/name]

I like [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Claire[/name] and [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jade[/name] from your list :slight_smile:

I love state names! hehe
Some middle name ideas:
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Cassidy[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Elle[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Emerson[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Lacey[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Mia[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Morgan[/name]
[name]Indiana[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]

I really like [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Taylor[/name], and [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Lily[/name] from your suggestions, [name]Edie[/name] :slight_smile: I’m glad that there’s other people out there that like state names :slight_smile:

pointless bump :wink:

pointless bump :wink: but still would like more opinions :slight_smile:

Did you know [name]Ethan[/name] Hawke just named his daughter [name]Indiana[/name]?

I can’t hear it without automatically thinking of [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jones[/name]. If you like [name]Indie[/name], how about just naming her that? I personally prefer that to [name]Indiana[/name].

Thanks for the suggestion, but I prefer names that have nicknames to go along with them. No kids for a while though :slight_smile:

I like [name]Indiana[/name] and think [name]Indy[/name] is an adorable nn. While I probably wouldn’t use it as a first name (due to the hipster feel of it) I have been considering it as a middle as it honors two family names for me ([name]Cindy[/name] and [name]Anna[/name]). If the first name we go with already has “anna” in it, I would consider [name]Indy[/name] as the middle name. I like [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jade[/name]. Also think [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Violet[/name] sounds pretty if you wanted something more feminine.

[name]Just[/name] resurrecting my old thread to as for opinions on [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Alice[/name] :slight_smile:

I think what happens when there is a name after the “[name]Indiana[/name]” part that’s less an object or having a synonymous meaning ([name]Rose[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Pearl[/name]) then it comes off sounding like the “[name]Indiana[/name]” part is an adjective to the name (middle name) ie. [name]Florida[/name] [name]Sally[/name] or [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Jane[/name], ykwim? I really love both those names though, but not together.

I will never not think of [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jones[/name] when I hear this name. I do like it though, despite the fact I’m picturing [name]Harrison[/name] [name]Ford[/name] and not a little girl. Avoid noun names in the middle spot to keep her potential name from sounding like a description.

Yes, I understand completely; in fact, that’s exactly what makes finding a good [name]Indiana[/name] combo so difficult! For now, I think sticking to solid, classic girl names is the best way to go with [name]Indiana[/name].

I will never not think of a very boring part of the US when I hear this name, not to mention the fraught term ‘[name]Indian[/name].’

My daughter’s name is [name]Indiana[/name] E v e but other combos we were considering were indiana may and indiana [name]Alice[/name].