indigo......need some help

i would love some help…thanks in advance. we have a little girl named nova ray. we are getting ready to have another. my husband & i both love the name indigo for a boy or a girl (we don’t know what we’re having). i have a bunch of q’s surrounding the name though…

are nova & indigo good sibs names?
any suggestions for a middle name?
can i use ray (my dads name) for both?
any suggestions on using indigo for a mn?
is indigo too weird of a name?

are nova & indigo good sibs names? Yes, I think they work together in terms of their uniqueness, but [name]Nova[/name] is overtly feminine, while [name]Indigo[/name] is unisex.

any suggestions for a middle name?

Girls:

[name]Indigo[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name] [name]Maeve[/name] (kind of close to the color [name]Mauve[/name], though) :slight_smile:
[name]Indigo[/name] [name]Frances[/name]

Boys:

[name]Indigo[/name] [name]August[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name] [name]Blaise[/name] (although I think of an indigo colored blaze)
[name]Indigo[/name] [name]James[/name]
[name]Indigo[/name] [name]Raymond[/name] (to honor your dad, plus it’s different than [name]Nova[/name]'s middle)
[name]Indigo[/name] [name]West[/name]

I’d personally avoid middles like [name]Belle[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], or [name]Violet[/name], because I think of an indigo-colored object. I think that [name]June[/name] works, though. (The whole color + noun issue may not be an issue for you, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.) :slight_smile:

can i use ray (my dads name) for both? I personally wouldn’t, but if it’s important to you, I don’t see any harm in it. If it didn’t sound like something with an indigo color, I’d suggest [name]Indigo[/name] [name]Rain[/name], which sounds like [name]Ray[/name]. (Now that I think about it, [name]Indigo[/name] [name]Ray[/name] reminds me of an indigo colored ray of light.)

is indigo too weird of a name? While it’s not traditional, I personally don’t think it’s too weird. I think that [name]Indie[/name] is a cute nickname, too.

If you’re not comfortable using [name]Indigo[/name], you may also like:

Girls:

[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Coralie[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Hollis[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] (Has [name]Nova[/name]'s V sound, though)
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]India[/name]
[name]Juniper[/name]
[name]Jonquil[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Maris[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Tamsin[/name] (the s has a z sound)
[name]Wren[/name]

Boys:

[name]August[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Blaise[/name]
[name]Basil[/name]
[name]Clyde[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Calder[/name]
[name]Digby[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Hawthorne[/name]
[name]Inigo[/name]
[name]Jericho[/name]
[name]Quillen[/name]
[name]Winslow[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

First off i know an [name]Indigo[/name] who is a girl so i feel more like its a girls name. I know a boy named [name]Inigo[/name] a form of [name]Ignatius[/name]. Would u be interested in using [name]Inigo[/name] fr a boy? would u use [name]Indi[/name] as a nn? I like [name]Nova[/name] and [name]Indigo[/name] as a girl/girl sib set. I dont think its a good idea to use the same mn for both children, you already honored that grandparent with your first daughters name. I hope that helps a lil.

I think that [name]Indigo[/name] is definitely a boy name, on the other hand [name]Indiana[/name] is all girl.

You could use [name]Ramon[/name] instead of [name]Raymond[/name] for a boy and [name]Rachel[/name] for a girl.

To me [name]Indigo[/name] is all girl. O endings tend to imply a boys name but it’s just too flowery and fancy to be a boys name.

[name]Indiana[/name] can pass as a boys name because of [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jones[/name] but also a girls name because of the A ending.

I think [name]Nova[/name] and [name]Indigo[/name] would make a lovely G/G sibset.
For a boy I’d suggest something else. [name]How[/name] about…
[name]Nova[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] or [name]Nova[/name] and [name]Felix[/name]

To me [name]Indigo[/name] is all girl. O endings tend to imply a boys name but it’s just too flowery and fancy to be a boys name.

[name]Indiana[/name] can pass as a boys name because of [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jones[/name] but also a girls name because of the A ending.

I think [name]Nova[/name] and [name]Indigo[/name] would make a lovely G/G sibset.
For a boy I’d suggest something else. [name]How[/name] about…
[name]Nova[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] or [name]Nova[/name] and [name]Felix[/name]

what do they think of their names??

thank you all so much for your suggestions!
it’s funny…you’ve all picked other names i’ve been considering…cleo, milo (do you have to be italian to use this name?), jane etc.

thanks also for the insight to using ray as mn…i just like the flow, but don’t want to use it again (don’t want to seem obsessed w/ my father) but thought maybe it wouldn’t be a big deal…

anyways, no suggestions for indigo as middle name?? i can’t seem to find anything that fits…

lots of great suggestions!
i love indie as a nn…that’s more than half the reason i want to use it!!

for a boy you could also consider [name]Inigo[/name] or [name]Ingo[/name] (or, if you can ignore the Shakespearean baggage - [name]Iago[/name]).

I prefer [name]India[/name] for a girl - it fits well with [name]Nova[/name] and still has the great nn [name]Indie[/name]. I love [name]Milo[/name] for a boy and I don’t think you need to be Italian but it’s not the best flow with [name]Indigo[/name] in the middle.
But for suggestions with [name]Indigo[/name] in the middle:
Girls:
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Honora[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Jonquil[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]
Boys:
[name]Victor[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Max[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Milo[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]
[name]Asher[/name] [name]Indigo[/name]

If it’s a girl, you could go with the spelling [name]Indigo[/name] [name]Rae[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Indigo[/name] as a girls name. When I heard the little girl in my daughters class was named [name]Indigo[/name] I had major name envy. Use it as a first name for a girl please!! I also Like [name]Inigo[/name] for a boy but I see problems with pronunciations on this on. I really like [name]Milo[/name] for a boy as well. The only draw back with [name]Indigo[/name] is that if you use that for a girl then, in my opinion you cant use [name]Milo[/name] or cleo. [name]Just[/name] something to think about.