Ines/Inez or Nina?

I love the names [name]Ines[/name]/-z and [name]Nina[/name], and am considering one of those for my little girl expected in a few days.

I’m Scandinavian and as a non native I wonder what these names sound like to you anglophones? What associations do they evoke? Also, would you pronounce [name]Ines[/name]/[name]Inez[/name] differently depending on s or z?

I prefer [name]Ines[/name] with an s. I would pronounce it “ee-nehs” . [name]Nina[/name] would be “nee-nah”

I prefer [name]Ines[/name] with an s too, but I’d pronounce them the same: in-ez. I’ve only ever known one [name]Nina[/name] but I think it’s a nice, underused name. I pronounce it Nee-nah. [name]Both[/name] names are nice, I find it hard to choose between them which one I like better.

I think these are both lovely names but I recommend [name]Nina[/name] more. [name]Ines[/name] kind of makes me assume Spanish speaker (not that I’d be shocked if that weren’t true), and I can see it having some pronunciation difficulties with the vowels (not just s/z). I’d pronounce them both with an s but can imagine [name]Inez[/name] getting some z sound. [name]Nina[/name] just seems like it’d be easy to say and spell in any language, and it’s beautiful, fits in but stands out.

I prefer [name]Nina[/name], I know a few women named [name]Inez[/name] and they all prn it “eye nehz” but they were all Hispanic so I’m not sure if there’s a different prn in English.

I love [name]Ines[/name], it sounds very special and in at some way pleasant.

I prefer [name]Nina[/name] as a name, but think [name]Inez[/name] (with the z) would not be as culture-shocking. I feel as though [name]Inez[/name] just screams spanish, but I picture it on worn on a little scandinavian girl.

I am a native English speaker, but married to a South American and I majored in Spanish. We have decided on Inés if baby #3 is a girl. Inés is pronounced ee-ness, and [name]Inez[/name] (in American English) is pronounced i-nez (short i), or sometimes i-nez with a long “i”, but the short “i” sounds more correct to my ear. That’s my understanding!

[name]Both[/name] [name]Ines[/name]/[name]Inez[/name] and [name]Nina[/name] are sweet names!

These are my pronunciations for the names.

Spanish Inés: ee-NESS
French Inès = ee-NES
English [name]Inez[/name] = e-nez (short “e” as bed or pet)
[name]Nina[/name] = nee-nah

Although [name]Nina[/name] may be better known in Scandinavia, I much prefer [name]Ines[/name] because I find it more exotic, sophisticated and appealing. [name]Ines[/name] is a form of [name]Agnes[/name] but it has a softer and attractive sound. [name]Nina[/name] means “girl” in Spanish so it’s not a fave of mine. I believe [name]Agnethe[/name]/Agnetha/[name]Agneta[/name] are the forms used in Scandinavia for this name but I still like [name]Ines[/name]. [name]How[/name] would [name]Ines[/name]/[name]Inez[/name] be pronounced where you live?

I love [name]Nina[/name]. It’s so neutral but not boring, ages well, travels well, I can picture a punk rock girl or a doctor. It’s familiar & lovely & underused. I think of non-Spanish [name]Inez[/name]/[name]Ines[/name] as the child of hipsters. I live in [name]Brooklyn[/name] and the name is weirdly popular here among that set.

I do like the sound & see the appeal but to me [name]Nina[/name] is so much more effortlessly nice.

I adore [name]Ines[/name]. :slight_smile: I would love to use her!
She’s actually not too unusual in Norway at least, not like for example [name]Paloma[/name] would be. There are 230 women named [name]Ines[/name] in Norway today and on average 10 new have been born every year for the past 10 years, which makes her just a little less popular than [name]Lydia[/name] and a little more than [name]Nanna[/name].
I have a renewed appreciation for [name]Nina[/name], ever since I chose it for a character in a story I might write. Although it means ‘girl’ in Spanish, it’s also an Incan goddess of fire among other things. [name]Nina[/name] is wonderful and unexpected. ^^

I know an [name]Ines[/name] pronounced In-ez and it always gets pronounced wrong she has gotten ee-nes and in-ess but never [name]Ines[/name] at first. I prefer [name]Nina[/name] though.

I say I-nez as it is spelled. My middle name is this. people love it

I like [name]Nina[/name] best. [name]Inez[/name]/[name]Ines[/name] makes me pause because I’m never sure the way to pronounce it. I also knew a [name]Nina[/name] in high school. She was very sweet :slight_smile: