Inevitability of nicknames?

Lol, that’s so true! I hadn’t thought about that. In our case, it’s more we love the short name more than the nicknames for the longname, so imagining which we’d prefer to hear/use regularly. But it’s a very good point and giving me a chance to reconsider whether we’d really prefer a long or short name.

1 Like

That’s an interest point! I suppose offbeat nicknames almost feel more like separate, concrete names rather than just a nickname for the longer name. I hadn’t thought of it like that.

[name_f]My[/name_f] sister is [name_f]Pamela[/name_f]. She absolutely hates being called [name_f]Pam[/name_f], but she inevitably always gets it from someone. She’s an entertainer and a personal trainer, so she interacts with a lot of people. I think she gave up on correcting the people who insist on calling her [name_f]Pam[/name_f] and just deals with it. On the other hand, I have only been called [name_f]Cathy[/name_f] by a handful of people and when I corrected them they listened. I let them know they can call me [name_f]Cat[/name_f] or by my full name. Maybe having an alternative nn option helps? I dunno, but for this reason I avoided giving my kids names that had nns I didn’t like.

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] former name is 3 syllables. Some people automatically shortened it; others didn’t. If they didn’t know me well I just got called whatever I introduced myself as but once I got to know people a little better I usually got a nickname of some sort.

1 Like