Ingrid Marie v. Sonjia Marie

[name]Hi[/name] all -
My wife and I trying to narrow down our girls’ names. Our top two right now are:

[name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Marie[/name]

[name]Sonja[/name] [name]Marie[/name]

My wife prefers [name]Ingrid[/name], and I prefer [name]Sonja[/name]. What about you?

I knew two middle schoolers with those names, and both work just fine in the real world. Personally, I love [name]Sonja[/name]!

I love the name [name]Ingrid[/name]! It’s really pretty and I think it’s more classy and timeless than [name]Sonja[/name].

I love [name]Ingrid[/name]! It’s currently my top pick for a future daughter. I just posted about it in the [name]Baby[/name] Names forum earlier today. Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

[name]Sonja[/name] is nice, but my honest opinion is that it sounds a bit middle-aged. It peaked in the late 60’s, and all the Sonjas I know are late 40’s to 50’s. (Along with all the [name]Sonya[/name]-s and [name]Sonia[/name]-s) But, I do like this spelling the best of all the variations.

[name]Ingrid[/name] had a similar popularity arch, but because it never nearly got as popular as [name]Sonja[/name], it doesn’t feel as tied to the era as [name]Sonja[/name].

[name]Sonja[/name] [name]Marie[/name]! I love [name]Sonja[/name]. [name]Ingrid[/name] is nice, but to me, [name]Sonja[/name] is stunning. :slight_smile: I would love to meet a little [name]Sonja[/name], so much more than an [name]Ingrid[/name]. Apparently most people don’t agree with me, though, haha.

I like beautiful [name]Ingrid[/name] much better than [name]Sonja[/name]. [name]Ingrid[/name] makes me think of lovely Swedish actress [name]Ingrid[/name] Bergman whereas [name]Sonja[/name] reminds me of Nowegian skater [name]Sonja[/name] [name]Henie[/name].

I vote [name]Ingrid[/name]! I’ve never like [name]Sonja[/name] or its variants at all.

I love [name]Ingrid[/name], it’s very classic and striking to me. I don’t care for [name]Sonja[/name], which seems a little dated too.

I like [name]Ingrid[/name]. In fact is is on my list also. It appears that the people who responded on this forum like it, but I had very negative reactions when I told people. Many people told me they could only picture an old, heavy women.

A vote for [name]Ingrid[/name]. I think it’s because of some princesses with this name, but to me, it has a bit of “princessy” feeling.

We’ve actually received a lot of negative feedback from people as well about [name]Ingrid[/name]. I also have a fear that people will associate the name with an old fat woman. But we really like it, and hopefully if we pick that name our daughter will change people’s perceptions!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name]. Underused and not trendy.

[name]Sonja[/name] is pretty too, though!

Combine them: [name]Sonja[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Marie[/name]… sounds beyond perfect to me.

I understand! I definitely think a baby [name]Ingrid[/name] will totally change everyone’s mind. My dh taught an [name]Ingrid[/name] in his college class about a year ago and that’s all it took for him to change his mind. Once he got over the perception that it was an old lady name, he realized what a great name it is. He’s only worried about everyone else - me, not as much. I think it’s a great choice :slight_smile:

My vote goes to [name]Sonja[/name] [name]Marie[/name], but only by a hair! It is a difficult decision, because both names are classic and very pretty!

SONJIA SONJIA SONJIA SONJIA SONJIA SONJIA SONJIA SONJIA!!!
Did I get my point across? Really, Sonjia is the obvious choice… at least for me. BUT both names are bee-YOO-tiful, just as I am sure you’re little girl will be. :slight_smile:

Ooo that’s a really hard call, both are lovely names! I think I would have to say [name]Ingrid[/name] though, I just love this name a little bit more.

I love both these Norwegian names – [name]Sonja[/name] is a form of [name]Sophia[/name] and the name of the [name]Queen[/name] of Norway. [name]Ingrid[/name] (pronounced Ingree) is the name of the little girl who will be [name]Queen[/name] of Norway – [name]Princess[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name].

[name]Both[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name] and [name]Sonja[/name] are terrific names.