Initial Worry?

My husband has a last name that is very hard to come up with first names for…it has lots of consanants and ends in an “iii” sound…and it starts with an M.

Two of my favorite girl’s names are [name]Brynn[/name] and [name]Blair[/name], and they happen to sound ok with our last name. What do you think of those names, and would you worry about the initials of someone being B.M.? I know those are the initials used in nursing for a…movement! Or am I the only one who has thought of that/would think of that?

I wouldn’t worry about intials that are problematic only in a specific profession. First of all, the only people who are going to notice are nurses and adults who are familiar with the profession. I, for instance, did not know. I’m sure there are lots of initials that stand for something in different professions, but kids aren’t going to notice and tease each other about it, and by the time your child knows about it (if ever) she’ll be an adult and find it mildly amusing…if anything at all. Good luck!

[name]Don[/name]'t let something like that affect your naming process, especially if it is going to eliminate favourites! I kept my maiden name when I got married because that is how it is in [name]Quebec[/name], but if I had taken my husband’s name I would be STD! It’s not worth bypassing a name you love because of the risk of occasional immature teasing… I am sure your kid will be able to handle it.

Initials really aren’t a problem unless it is so obvious that children would pick up on it (e.g. [name]Bernard[/name] [name]Ulysses[/name] Michaels, [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Stephen[/name] [name]Spencer[/name]), so I wouldn’t worry about it!

Thanks-that makes me feel better! I’m sure there are plenty of people who have the initals B.M…as long as we avoid a “u” middle name!

I used to be a preschool teacher, and we used B.M. there, but I had never heard of it before. Most of the parents didn’t know what it was until we told them. I’m sure no kids will have any idea!

I AM a [name]Brynn[/name] M, and I just wanted to let you know that it’s really not that big of a deal. When I was little and at a “teasable” age, nobody used the phrase “BM” as poop. As I grew older, I just made light of it or pointed it out, and it was never a problem. I do always sign my middle initial, however, when initialing things, just because I like BAM better than BM :slight_smile:

I love hearing other people considering my name. It makes my day!

Well I guess I went to High school with a girl who had the initials B. S. and no one ever really made fun of her for it…and I would think kids would recognize that more than B.M.! I think [name]Brynn[/name] is a beautiful name that I hardly ever hear:)

[name]Hi[/name] there! I agree with everyone who says not to worry about it (unless it truly bothers you, of course). I know many well-adjusted children and adults with B.S. and B.M. initials, and I know they’re not (and never were) picked on.

Best wishes to you!

[name]Hi[/name]! I actually am a [name]Blair[/name] M. so I felt like I had to reply to this.

First of all I love my name, how I have only met ! other person with my name (that was a guy), and that I have only heard of a couple other [name]Blair[/name]'s mentioned in passing. The uniqueness of my name has played a part of who I am and how I feel about myself, definitely. I think that is one of the reasons why popularity and trends factor in so much as to wether or not I would actually use a name (even if I really really love it, like [name]Noah[/name]). I know some people that say if you love a name you should use it no matter how popular…but unfortunately that affects me.

Anyways I always get compliments, especially on how my name sounds, I am always told it is a “stage name”. When it comes to the initials, maybe twice in my life has it ever really been mentioned, or if it is brought up like another BM mentioned, you just laugh it off. I really think it is kinda out dated slang though when it comes to what kids would say these days…and probably sound nicer than what they would say now too!

Good luck! Any thoughts on middle names?

That makes me not worry-to actually know that there are people with those initials who it hasn’t bothered. i mean quite honestly probably many people’s initials could stand for something…S.M., T.M., P.M., A.M…etc.!

For middle names, I would think something that doesnt start with A or U. I like middle names that end in -elle but I dont have any really picked out yet!

I think [name]Blair[/name] is a great name that is widely underused (and i hope it stays that way!) Have you seen it spelled [name]Blaire[/name]? like claire with an e? Which is the correct or more widespread spelling?

Also, since you mentioned [name]Noah[/name], I forgot to mention that I have a friend whose fiancee is named [name]Noah[/name] (we are about 24-25) and he HATED his name growing up. Kids teased him constantly. I think it is a family name. Now it is super popular, and he is the oldest [name]Noah[/name] I have ever met! His name does not seem to fit his age, and I am terrified of my children having that same problem!

In my case, [name]Blair[/name] is a family name and my mother’s maiden name. My grandfather was from [name]Scotland[/name] so [name]Blair[/name] is the traditional Scottish spelling. To be quite honest [name]Blair[/name] with an E really irks me! People have been trying to put an E at the end my whole life! It hasn’t happened that often though so I don’t think it would be any real emotional trauma for your child.

I prefer it without the e. I don’t think it’s needed to make the name seem more feminine and it separates it more from [name]Claire[/name] that does traditionally have an e at the end.

In case you were wondering my middle name is [name]Mary[/name]. I’ve got to run now but I’ll think of some middle names.

I actually prefer [name]Blair[/name] to [name]Blaire[/name] but wasn’t sure what the “right” way to spell it was! So are you [name]Blair[/name] [name]Mary[/name] M______ ?

Some middle names I like…
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Giselle[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]

any others?

I wouldn’t worry about the initials either since BM is not commonly known terminology. People don’t really use their initials often either, and if they do, they usually use all three (at least in my experience!); Monograms almost always have three letters.

Assuming she gets married someday, her initials will change anyway! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t worry, I prefer [name]Blair[/name] on a boy.

Yup, I am [name]Blair[/name] [name]Mary[/name] M____. I like [name]Emmeline[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] or even [name]Carolina[/name] would be pretty since your last name is a little more exotic. I think a frillier name could tie it together with your last name to make it more cohesive in style?

Some ideas:

[name]Blair[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]/[name]Charlotta[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Francesca[/name] ([name]Frances[/name] may sound too masculine)
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Julia[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] Rosamel
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Rosamund[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]/a
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Briony[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Willa[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Clarice[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Tallulah[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Blair[/name] [name]Calliope[/name] (for fun)

I loveee [name]Brynn[/name]!!!

I think it would be a great choice for a girl!!