Irish Names...

I really love Irish names I think some of them are so wonderful, interesting, great, classic and cool! I was just wondering though as I don’t have any Irish heritage would it be okay to give my future child and Irish name?

For boys I love:
[name_u]Shane[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]
[name_u]Kieran[/name_u]
[name_m]Sean[/name_m]
[name_u]Carey[/name_u] - This is my Dad’s middle name! It come from some where in our Scottish heritage… But [name_u]Carey[/name_u] is actually an Irish name!
[name_m]Kevin[/name_m]
[name_m]Brendan[/name_m]

For girls I love:
[name_u]Shannen[/name_u]
[name_f]Saoirse[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_u]Regan[/name_u]
[name_u]Kelly[/name_u]
[name_f]Una[/name_f]

Can you come up with any other Irish names for boys and girls? And please answer my question!
Thanks,
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f].

My instinct as an Irish American is yes, and no. [name_u]Shane[/name_u], [name_u]Quinn[/name_u], [name_m]Brendan[/name_m] and [name_u]Kelly[/name_u] would be perfectly fine as well as any of the more simple names, but I would hesitate over the more complicated ones. They can really stick out awkwardly from an otherwise non Irish family.

I often use my cousin as an example, both of his parents are recent Irish immigrants so he named his daughter [name_f]Shioban[/name_f]: No problem! But when they had two other girls and named them Ameli@ and Annor@, [name_f]Shioban[/name_f] suddenly seemed like an odd name.

But if if flows with your family and you love it, go for it!

I think it’s definitely ok to give your children the more common Irish names (that a non-name lover probably wouldn’t even identify as a particularly Irish name!) e.g. [name_u]Shane[/name_u], [name_m]Sean[/name_m], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m].

I probably wouldn’t use a more traditional Irish name ([name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] and [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] being perfect examples) unless I either (a) had Irish heritage I was desperate to honour or (b) lived in an area where the names would at least be somewhat familiar to people (e.g. it would be okay in the UK for example) therefore some of the pain with pronunciation and spelling would be alleviated.

I am of Irish descent and have many family members with very traditional names like [name_f]Deirdre[/name_f] & [name_m]Eamon[/name_m]. However, even I would be hesitant to use some of my favorites ([name_f]Roisin[/name_f], Dearbhla, [name_m]Seamus[/name_m], etc.) because of the spelling and pronunciation issues it would bring in the everyday life of an American child. I don’t see anything wrong with using Irish names that are “easier” though ([name_u]Kelly[/name_u] or [name_u]Rory[/name_u]). I have met tons of Liams and Aidans that are everything BUT Irish! haha.

Other names for you to consider besides those mentioned already:
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f]/[name_f]Bridget[/name_f], [name_u]Keeva[/name_u], [name_f]Ciara[/name_f]/[name_f]Kiera[/name_f], [name_f]Nuala[/name_f], [name_f]Sinead[/name_f], [name_f]Mairead[/name_f], [name_f]Taryn[/name_f], [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Eileen[/name_f]/[name_f]Aileen[/name_f], [name_f]Brynn[/name_f], [name_u]Teagan[/name_u]
[name_m]Declan[/name_m], [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m], [name_m]Lachlan[/name_m], [name_m]Ronan[/name_m], [name_u]Brennan[/name_u], [name_u]Niall[/name_u], [name_u]Owen[/name_u]/[name_m]Eoghan[/name_m], [name_m]Colin[/name_m], [name_u]Finn[/name_u], [name_m]Donovan[/name_m]

[name_m]Ian[/name_m] or [name_m]Connor[/name_m] too!