Is 12 Months Old (1 Year) Appropriate To Dress Babies In Proper Outfits

At this point it’s mainly for gifting purposes since I have no clue about kids yet in my mind they’ll be wearing cute outfits since little (maybe I’m being influenced by the cute clothes on the market :smile:). Would a one year old be wearing proper outfits during the day by that point??? Which of the outfits attached is your favourite (I can’t decide between several different ones).

Edit: The first photo is a vest to be layered on top of the dress and not a crop top as another poster pointed out that it looks like one - the other photos made it more obvious so my mistake :smile::star:.

I don’t have children either, but speaking from what I have seen: children are generally fussy in what they wear and most parents would just dress them in whatever feels comfortable. I think all of them are fine, and I can see them with tights (since they seem to be for the colder seasons).

I wouldn’t, however, go for a crop top (if the first pic is one) in any case. If it is a vest to be layered upon a dress, that would be adorable. There are many parents and would-be parents on the forum that would be able to share their experiences better.

3 Likes

I started dressing my daughter in proper clothes from about 8 months it helped with sleep ‘training’ [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] distinguishing night clothes and day clothes. So at nighttime she’d be wearing a babygro then by day normally leggings and a top.

All these outfits are lovely assuming outfit one is a vest to be layered over the dress which I strongly believe it is.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s a vest to be layered upon the dress, that’s what sold me on it in the first place I should have chosen another photo to make it more obvious and thanks for all your advice :smile:.

1 Like

Since you have more experience in parenting and aren’t influenced by cute clothes as in my case, I guess I made the right choice in waiting until they’re 1-ish to gift proper outfits (definitely not just a coincidence as to when I’m visiting them since they live abroad :joy:) and as explained above you’re right with the 1st outfits scenario

They are all lovely outfits! This one is my favourite:

I concur that most babies are wearing outfits by 12 months.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion and confirmation. These outfits are making it so hard for me to decide, at this rate the receiver should be happy to receive multiple outfits (at least by this age they’re usually past the gifting stage so they won’t be receiving much from other people and the clothes last for slightly longer) :gift:

1 Like

Ahhh no worries I definitely think you have!

I do love the cute clothes and see why you’re tempted to purchase all the gorgeous outfits I just think when your parenting day in and day out you reach for practicality! Leggings & top is the dream outfit for my crazy gorgeous girl :orange_heart:

2 Likes

I dressed my girls in outfits like this to go to church, but only when they were tiny and not moving around yet, and then once they were walking.

I didn’t like them in dresses when they were crawling as it made it harder for them to crawl, and beautiful outfits like this would have become very grubby very quickly on the floor!

So if the 1-year-old is walking already, and has occasions to wear the outfits, it should be fine.

Edited to add: I like the second one (the pink one) and then the first one (black checks) the best. Patterns and darker colours are always good because they hide stains more easily. :smiley:

2 Likes

Before having kids I would have loved to receive outfits like these, the last two are particularly cute.

But now I’ve actually got kids… honestly, these kinda outfits never got worn. Maybe once to a wedding :sweat_smile:
Like [name_f]Tori[/name_f] said, leggings and tops are the best (even for my boy!).

Toddlers get mince sauce and mud and paint and glitter glue all over their clothes. Their clothes need to be practical for crawling, falling over, tree climbing, etc.

And to be blunt they often have their own opinions and don’t even LIKE nice clothes - they want something with pictures like a train or butterfly or [name_f]Peppa[/name_f] Pig or tractor, or stuff with bright colours like rainbows, or POCKETS (mine love pockets ).

[name_f]My[/name_f] girl who’s now 4 does love dresses, but they’re the overly frilly pink or rainbowy dresses, not ones adults would think look nice.

4 Likes

They won’t get much use, but the parent(s) will get adorable pictures from them!!

3 Likes

I agree! Crawling and dresses is a challenge. Also keep in mind that size 12 months may fit a baby aged 6-15 mo ths depending on their size. [name_f]My[/name_f] kids were all in 12 mo th clothing well before age 1. They are all lovely though. I would pick the one that is most comfy.

2 Likes

These outfits are adorable, but like others have said, not very practical. I have 4 boys and 1 girl, she’s 9 months old and we haven’t put her in a dress yet even once. Dresses aren’t very good for crawling. You want their daily outfits to be comfortable and easy to clean. These outfits could be nice for a special occasion or to get pictures, but not for daily use.

Same goes for cute outfits for boys, by the way. Dressing them up in cute clothes is adorable, but it’s so impractical. When our boys were babies and started to crawl and walk, they wore leggings and a top only.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite out of these is the last one, it looks so lovely.

2 Likes

[name_f]My[/name_f] little girl is one in a few weeks and has worn outfits like this since around 7-8 months. They’re so cute! [name_u]River[/name_u] [name_u]Island[/name_u] stuff is super cute too but soooo expensive lol. She usually wears leggings and a top or jumper because dresses can be impractical when crawling, but they make good occasion outfits. But it’s part of our routine now (and has been for a while) to get dressed into an outfit and then she goes in her sleepsuit for bed, it helps her know when to sleep.

1 Like

These outfits while all very adorable are ones I’d probably have my child rarely wear- like if I wanted to keep these as nice looking as they look in these pictures they’d be what my daughter wears to church for 1.5 hours. Sometimes my mom will show me equally adorable outfits or shoes and I say sure as long as you don’t get upset when I let her play in the sand or mud with them.

1 Like

Going to concur, these are what I’d call “Sunday clothes.” [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter would wear outfits like this to church since she was an infant, but I only let her wear them for everyday if I decide I don’t care about stains. 1 year is appropriate for proper outfits, it’s just that more casual things are more practical.

1 Like

I’ve clearly got some more to learn (and agree with what you said about nice clothes being “Sunday Bests” which has also been mentioned in the comments above) but since it’s a gift I want to gift something on the nicer side since they’re probably all stocked up on the basics and special occasions are common in my friends/family group (because of our culture) so they’ll be worn😄

Sounds fine then! Cute outfits are fun for special occasions.

1 Like

Yep, babies totally can and do wear non-onesie clothes by 12 months! Anything that’s easy to change is ideal. Pinafores, overalls, and frills are darling—until a diaper change is needed. I am a tees with shorts/pants or dresses with bloomers dresser for my babies!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] nieces have been wearing cute coordinated otfits since about 8 months old (they’ve just turned one). I don’t think there needs to be a hard and fast rule - just whatever works for all involved.

1 Like