Is August a classic?

DH and I are making our top names list for baby #2 and I can’t make up my mind how I feel about his current favorite: [name_u]August[/name_u]. [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is a family name on his side, and while I do like [name_u]August[/name_u] I can’t make up my mind if it fits into our normally classic style. I normally love very strong classics with cute nicknames in the first name spot and would like to use [name_u]August[/name_u] as a more unique middle, but DH really likes hearing it right out front. Our DS is [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] [name_m]Fielding[/name_m] nn [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and my top choice for a boy [name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u] nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]. If #2 is a girl she will be [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lollie[/name_f] (middle name TBD).

What do you think? Does [name_u]August[/name_u] work with brother [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and potential siblings [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_f]Lollie[/name_f].

For a family name in the middle I’m toying with:
[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] (AJ?)
[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m]

Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes, of course! [name_m]Even[/name_m] though [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] is the traditional English form, [name_u]August[/name_u] is the [name_m]German[/name_m] cognate, and a very royal one at that! It’s much more classic than [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], for instance, which I don’t consider to be a traditional name.
[name_m]Augustine[/name_m] or [name_m]Austin[/name_m] would be good choices too.

I love [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] and [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] (though I’d prefer [name_m]Augie[/name_m] or [name_u]Gus[/name_u] rather than AJ).

It is our boy pick. And I love it because it is classic but quirky at the same time and that is very much our style. It has a bit of a hipster vibe to it as well and that is another thing I like about it. I love the NN’s Auggie or [name_u]Gus[/name_u].

I like [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] the best.

I love [name_u]August[/name_u]. I consider it a less common classic as it has always been on the US charts, at it’s lowest in the 70’s and 80’s it was in the #800’s and it’s certainly rising pretty fast, at its most common it got up to #101 and I think it may become more popular than that but I don’t think it’ll hit the top 10 or anything. So I’d say it’s both classic and trending and fits right in with the other sib(s).

It’s never been off the Top Thousand.

I love it. I first fell in love researching a historic anti-slavery fighter/eventual judge from pre-Civil War Kansas.

I have it on my list, it’s just not on my first-son options because I have some family members I want to name after.

I like [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] best, if you’re worried about classic [name_u]James[/name_u] is certainly that. And I like AJ more than I like Auggie or [name_u]Gus[/name_u] as nicks, not that [name_u]August[/name_u] even needs a nick.

I view it more as vintage than classic, but I love it. I think it goes well with [name_m]Jack[/name_m] and [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] in the regard, if you’d call him [name_u]Gus[/name_u]. I also like [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Wilson[/name_m] (African-American playwright).

(I wouldn’t use [name_f]Lollie[/name_f] with [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] tho.)

I wouldn’t call it a ‘classic’ classic, which to me are names like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_f]Jane[/name_f].
However it has been of steady use and apparently never been outside the top 100.
It definitely fits well with your son’s and potential siblings’ names.
I strongly dislike nicknames like AJ, PJ, DJ or the like. I feel like it takes away from the original names.
[name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u] and [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] are both very nice.

Since [name_u]August[/name_u] comes from the Latin [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], it could be defined as “classic” but there are different levels of “classic” for me. I don’t think [name_u]August[/name_u] is on the same step of the ladder as [name_m]Charles[/name_m] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] but it’s probably down on the next step. :slight_smile: [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] isn’t really “classic” either so I wouldn’t worry about that issue. I think [name_u]August[/name_u] goes well with [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]. If you choose something like [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_u]James[/name_u], you would have a more “classic” in the middle spot anyway. I don’t like calling children by initials like AJ as it tends to juvenilize them. If your other children have proper nicknames, then “letters as nicknames” shouldn’t be encouraged. We don’t want one child to be singled out and personally I wouldn’t want to be called by my initials either. [name_u]Gus[/name_u] is my preference for a nn. I also like the combo [name_u]August[/name_u] [name_m]Daniel[/name_m].

YES! It’s a touch more popular now than it was for a while, but not so much that it’s lost it’s classic status. It’s an old name and has always been ranked. I agree that it’s not the same as Mary or Catherine, but at the same “classic” level as Imogen or Samson - classic but not a constant at the top of the list, and with fluctuating popularity through the years.

I have to admit some bias, because August or Augustin is near the top of my list if I ever have a boy. Augustin is a family name for me but I worry about English pronunciation - and my ancestor went by August a lot anyway.
I love August Lee, it sounds very 19th Century and dignified.

Part of the appeal of August for me is the nickname Gus, although the whole name or Augie is good, too. I just see Gus fitting in really well with your family’s names.