Is Aurora too popular?

Recently I’m crushing on the name Aurora, with middle name Iris.
I do not personally know any auroras but I noticed that it’s one of the top names in the US and other countries. What does everyone think? I wish I wasn’t always so hung up on using unique names. :sob:

2 Likes

I find it very hrd to say.

It’s a bit of a mouthful for sure. What are your top girl names right now?:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

i don’t think it’s too popular right now but it’s rising really fast.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s too popular but I do wonder why it’s so popular… I find it so hard to say.

2 Likes

I don’t know any Aurora’s of any age or anyone considering this name for an expected baby… I wouldn’t call it popular at all. (For context, I’m in Australia)

I have a colleague (in her 30s) named [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and I have taught at least five Aurora’s over the last ten years (I teach anywhere from K-12 and community college). It’s not super, super popular, but too much for me. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and [name_f]Iris[/name_f] are both pretty, but [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is choppy and tongue twisty with all of the r’s. How about [name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]?

1 Like

Thanks for your input. :heart: I’m using [name_f]Iris[/name_f] to honor my great grandmother. I’m really having a hard time figuring out a girl name! One day I love it, and the next I don’t.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], I don’t know a single one!

I find it hard to answer this question because it depends on what your personal definition of “too popular” is. Some people prefer to avoid top 20, top 50 or top 100 names. Some prefer to avoid names that are in the top 1000 (though personally I find that a bit excessive). Some don’t care about popularity and will happily name their sons [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_m]William[/name_m].

In the US it currently ranks at #40. That’s relatively popular, but it’s still not nearly as popular as [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Ava[/name_f], [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and the like.

Despite it being a favourite with many and being a top name in the US and UK, I have never met an [name_f]Aurora[/name_f]. [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is really gorgeous, by the way!

I have a 2 yr old [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] and I’m also a teacher. So far I have yet to have any Auroras in my classes nor have we met any other little toddler Auroras. To me it feels like a sweet spot name, familiar yet not ridiculously popular

It is rising pretty fast, but I don’t think it’s too popular (for me). I do find it a bit hard to say.

It does feel a little popular to me, and is definitely on the rise — but it’s up to you to estimate what is too popular!

I think [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] is so cute and has good nickname options! I only know of one [name_f]Aurora[/name_f] at work! I do agree that it will become more popular.

At the moment it may not be too popular depending on your personal comfort level. I will say however, it’s seems to be a favorite of the younger (or next) generation of baby namers. I feel like I hear it mentioned a lot for people between the ages of 15-25, so I’m expecting it to rise in popularity

It is getting more popular but I don’t think it’s [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] popular