Is Carla really that bad?

I’ve always loved the name [name]Carla[/name] (possibly because of the nice counselor from “The Boy in the Girl’s Bathroom” by [name]Louis[/name] Sachar?) but I’ve seen it described in multiple places as unfashionable or harsh. [name]Carl[/name] seems totally unfashionable to me but [name]Carla[/name] seems simple yet substantial, sweet yet sophisticated. What do you guys think? Am I missing something?

I like [name]Carl[/name] a lot. I did not used to like [name]Carla[/name], but I had an English professor who I totally developed a hetero-crush on, so now I like it. I could imagine it on a little girl no problem. I see the name [name]Carla[/name] as strong, womanly, smart, fun, and surprising. I think I never really disliked it; I just never considered the name.

I like [name]Carla[/name]. It’s maybe not a name that’s broadly attractive, though?

When i think of [name]Carla[/name] I think of [name]Carla[/name] on Mob Wives. She’s kind of awesome. lol! She is pretty, she is strong and feminine and doesn’t play the same games (as much. hehe) as the other Mob Wives. If I take her out of the equation, I get the imagery of Spanish lace. Feminine but kind of daring. Intricate and beautiful.

I think [name]Carla[/name] is cute to me it’s a commoner version of [name]Clara[/name].

Yes you are spelling it right. Although I know a [name]Karla[/name] from school.

Car… La… Meh. Unenthused. Prefer [name]Clara[/name], which a pp mentioned.

There’s nothing wrong with [name]Carla[/name] :slight_smile: It’s underused but not a name that’s going to make people go O_o A good balance in my eyes!

Nothing wrong with [name]Carla[/name] at all, I think it’s quite nice. Prefer it to [name]Carly[/name] and [name]Clara[/name], at any rate. I think “unfashionable” is another word used to mean “dated”, and I can see why some might see it as such because of the popularity of [name]Carly[/name] et variants a couple of decades back, but [name]Carla[/name] is a different name. I only know of one and she’s 10, so to me it sits perfectly fine on a girl. I don’t find it harsh at all, though that is more of a subjective, personal thing.

I think [name]Carla[/name] is a nice name. I wouldn’t worry about dated or unfashionable thing, you can’t please everyone so choose a name you love:)

I don’t like it. I don’t think it is any more dated and unstylish than [name]Carmel[/name]/[name]Carmela[/name] though and I don’t mind those.

I don’t know why I dislike it. I like [name]Caroline[/name], which is not that dissimilar. And I like [name]Catherine[/name] and [name]Claire[/name].

I think [name]Carla[/name]'s lovely. I’m a big [name]Carla[/name] Bruni fan, she’s so beautiful and makes the most enchanting music, so that might be why. I also adored the [name]Carla[/name] on Top Chef a few years back… she was adorable.

Nothing wrong with it, I like it (Though I prefer [name]Clara[/name] and [name]Carly[/name] too). I have a friend with this name and she (almost 21) never had any problem with her name. It’s a beautiful name with beautiful meaning.

I think of [name]Carla[/name] as a mature choice. I am not into [name]Carlie[/name], and I think of [name]Carlie[/name] when I hear [name]Carla[/name], but [name]Carla[/name] is so much more sophisticated imo. I think it’s a nice name and would love to meet a baby [name]Carla[/name]. I feel the same about [name]Carl[/name]. It’s a solid choice. I don’t really adore them, but I think they are nice.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with [name]Carla[/name]. It’s not my style, but I think it’s fine for other people. It may be a bit dated, but there’s nothing wrong with that [name]IMO[/name]. I prefer a little dated to overly trendy. I think [name]Carly[/name] is a cute nn for a little girl.

I don’t like it either… It is uncool in a super dated… Harvest gold /avacado green way… If it were appliances… There are 8000 cooler names than that… I picture a very short and crabby italian woman.

It’s ok. It’s one of those names that reminds me of my moms friends…[name]Linda[/name] [name]Cheryl[/name] [name]Susan[/name] [name]Brenda[/name] [name]Tammy[/name] and [name]Carla[/name] all have the same “feel” to me. Its a decent name just dated…I think the hundred year rule will apply.

I really like [name]Carla[/name], although I’m not a fan of [name]Carly[/name] / [name]Carlie[/name], which sounds much more dated to me. I think [name]Carla[/name] would be adorable and refreshing on a little girl, and is a strong enough name to carry her through to adulthood.

I think [name]Carla[/name] is still deemed as “dated” and that’s why it’s being called unfashionable. I picture a little diva in a puffy lace dress, it’s not really my favorite. I think if I saw it on a little girl now I would think differently.

In some accents the “AR” combination is very, very harsh sounding. It could be that comments are coming from people who have heard this? In general, [name]Carla[/name] just isn’t all soft and flowy like all the top names right now - [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Ava[/name], [name]Emily[/name], [name]Mia[/name], [name]Emma[/name], etc. The most “harsh” sound you can find in the Top 10 belong to [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], though you can’t really count Z and B as sharp sounds at all – and the D in [name]Madison[/name], which is lessened by the softness of the rest of the name. Anyway, I would say that to the ear accustomed to hearing soft/flowy names, [name]Carla[/name] just flies in the face of fashion. There’s nothing wrong with the name, it’s just that it’s the fashion equivalent of wearing a structured jacket suit in a season when everyone has on a flowy sundress.

My aunt’s name is [name]Carla[/name] and she is a lovely woman who taught Montessori to children and was teaching teachers how to use Montessori methods. In the past six months, she got cancer and has been so courageous as she fought off the disease. So basically, I associate the name with strength, curiosity, intelligence, and love, but that is obviously just me, haha.

She was named after her mom’s dad [name]Carl[/name], which is interesting. I think that it doesn’t maybe feel like a very modern name to some, but I wouldn’t say it’s “dated” yet. I know a lot of people like [name]Clara[/name] which I don’t really like, so…