Is Dane too close? + Middle Name Suggestions

We’ve really been interested in the name [name_u]Dane[/name_u] lately, but last night I realized it is quite similar to my partner’s brother’s name. His given name is [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], but he goes almost exclusively by [name_u]Danny[/name_u]. There is a pretty large age gap between my partner and his brother (almost 15 years) and they do live in a different state.

Would a baby [name_u]Dane[/name_u] be too close to an uncle [name_u]Danny[/name_u]?

Additionally, I’m having a hard time coming up with a good middle name that flows with our 3 syllable last name. I played around with the idea of [name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] (a family name) but I am afraid it doesn’t quite work. Any thoughts are appreciated!

It is close, but not too close. It sounds like we have similar families. My husband has a much older brother named Daniel in a different state. We barely see him and aren’t really close, but still he’s part of the family. He also has a son named Danny Jr.

So I thought about if I would use Dane and the answer is yes, if it was the name that made my heart swoon I would totally use it. I also think Dane Kenneth is totally fine. Very handsome. A two syllable middle works well with a short first and long last name. The flow feels good.

Other suggestions…

Dane Logan
Dane Michael
Dane Owen
Dane Edward
Dane Elliott
Dane August
Dane Austin
Dane Bennett

I think [name_u]Dane[/name_u] is perfectly fine to use with an uncle [name_u]Danny[/name_u]. For siblings it’d be too close, but I generally think that beyond the immediate family, as long as it’s not the exact same name it’s fine (and even that might be okay if it’s not someone you live close to and see regularly).

I think [name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Kenneth[/name_m] sounds just fine with a 3-syllable last name, but here are some more suggestions. Based on the names in your signature, the names you like seem to cross a range of styles, so what about…

[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Beckett[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Jacob[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Ludovic[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_u]Easton[/name_u]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Benedict[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Hendrix[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Kingston[/name_m]
[name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Colton[/name_m]

I don’t think [name_u]Dane[/name_u] is too close to Uncle [name_u]Danny[/name_u]. But keep in mind that [name_u]Danny[/name_u] might think that you are honoring him (even if that wasn’t your original intent when choosing the name [name_u]Dane[/name_u]).

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. Lots of good suggestions, and a lot of those were family names too! ([name_u]Owen[/name_u], [name_m]Bennett[/name_m], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], [name_m]Colton[/name_m]). I like the suggestions of [name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_u]Elliot[/name_u] and [name_u]Dane[/name_u] [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] the most so far.