Is Dorothy old fashioned in a bad way

I’m considering using [name]Dorothy[/name] as a possible middle name, since it’s my bf’s mom’s name and it would thrill her if our baby was named after her.

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Dorothy[/name] is old fashioned in a bad way? Would a little girl today in the US hate her name if it was [name]Dorothy[/name]? [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Dorothy[/name] will ever come back?

I don’t hate [name]Dorothy[/name], possibly because I think [name]Dot[/name] is a cute nn for a little girl, (not as much of a fan of [name]Dottie[/name], but its still okay). Besides, if you’re using it as an mn there’s a lot less to worry about, especially if she’s going to go by her fn. Plus, you have the bonus of making a family member happy as long as you love the name!

I wish I would love [name]Dorothy[/name]. It’s my grandmother’s name, but I don’t. I have thought about using it in the middle too. I wouldn’t worry about it being old fashioned if that is where you are going to put it. And I don’t think your daughter will hate it, because she will love her grandma and they will have that bond.

[name]Dorothy[/name] does still feel very old fashioned to me. While I don’t think it’ll experience a comeback like [name]Ruby[/name] and [name]Violet[/name], I do think it will become more popular as people try to find vintage names that haven’t shot up the charts yet.

If it’s being used as a middle name to honour your mother in law though I think it’s a lovely idea :slight_smile: And other ideas that seem a little more modern to me if you can’t live with [name]Dorothy[/name], are [name]Dorothea[/name] and [name]Dorotea[/name].

I think [name]Dorothy[/name] is vintage is a fantastic way. I really love it. I think [name]Dot[/name], [name]Dottie[/name], and [name]Dolly[/name] are all adorable nicknames, and I think [name]Dorothy[/name] would make a fine middle name. I would consider [name]Dorothy[/name] for a future daughter if I wasn’t going to have a [name]Theodore[/name] already.

I think it ENTIRELY depends on who you know with the name, if anyone. I know an elderly [name]Dorothy[/name] (and a [name]Doris[/name]), so to me it’s all “old lady” and wouldn’t work for me as a name. On the flip side, I love [name]Evelyn[/name] but there are MANY people for whom it’s allllll dusty old lady! :wink:

I don’t think it’s a risky choice as a middle name. Most people don’t use their middle names at all, that’s why it’s such a convenient way to toss a nod to a namesake.

[name]Dorothy[/name] isn’t the worst old fashioned name I can think of; that honour would go to [name]Ethel[/name] , [name]Beulah[/name] or [name]Eunice[/name]. It’s definitely usuable as a middle name. I’ve always liked it paired with [name]Jean[/name] for some reason. [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Jean[/name] has a spunky vibe to it!

I think [name]Dorothy[/name] will make a comeback very soon. I’ve heard of several little girls named this already. I don’t think a little girl would hate this name at all.

That being said, I don’t think it matters all that much since you’d be using it as a middle name. If the family bond is important, then I think it would be a great choice.

I like it!