Is Elin off-limits now?

My husband and I had happily decided on [name]Elin[/name] for our baby girl, due to arrive this spring. We thought it was a great choice; [name]Ellen[/name] is a family name, and the E-L-I-N spelling goes well with our Swedish last name. Almost as important to us, it seemed relatively free of associations–as long as [name]Tiger[/name] Woods and his wife, [name]Elin[/name] Nordegren, laid low for the next year or so. Well, thanks for nothing, [name]Tiger[/name]. Is the name [name]Elin[/name] now too closely associated with celebrity scandal? If we name our little girl that, will people tend to assume that we went name shopping for our sweet baby on TMZ?

I didn’t even know her name…I think you’re safe :slight_smile:

I would say go for it. She pronounces it the scandavian way, EE-lynn, so your little [name]EL[/name]-lynn should be fine. Congratualtions!

I didn’t know her name either.

I think you’re fine with [name]Elin[/name]. I actually went to school with an [name]Elin[/name] (ee-lin), and she was brilliant and sweet. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I don’t think so. It’s a sweet name.

People usually forget last weeks scandal as soon as they hear this weeks scandal, so hopefully it will be out of the news very quickly and [name]Tiger[/name]'s poor wife can fade into obscurity. If not there may be an association.

I think you may have had a problem if it were [name]Tiger[/name] you were going for, but with [name]Elin[/name] I think you’re fine. More than fine - it’s a lovely name!

Oh thank you! You’ve put my mind at ease.

[name]Tiger[/name] has a wife named [name]Elin[/name]? :slight_smile:

I knew her name was [name]Elin[/name], but im gossip follower:) haha but i think your safe, i mean really look at the david letterman thing, his scandal was huge and only lasted about 3 weeks before the tiger thing came out, and even a little bit before that people had forgotten or just didnt care anymore. So if anyone notices they have the same name, i dont think they would think you copied it from her, it would be like a coincidense. However if more and more women contiune to come forward (though im sure most of them are just attention seekers) then the focus may be on the [name]Tiger[/name] woods things for a bit longer then usual, not to mention the report this morning that a women was taken from his house by ambulence and is in a semi-critical condition, but there not syaing who it is. haha see i told you, gossip follower, but all in all i think it will be fine, cause even if some people associate your [name]Elin[/name] with that [name]Elin[/name] it wouldnt last to long, it wont be something you carry around forever as this isnt a big shocking scandal to be in history books for generations and generations. Haha i think its safe:) good luck!

[name]Elin[/name] is beautiful and totally not off limits- though this tiger woods bit is huge at the moment, i wont be in about two weeks when the next big thing comes around- so i definitely say dont hesitate to use the beautiful name of [name]Elin[/name]! :slight_smile:

I agree with the majority of commenters, I had no idea what his wife’s name is!
And [name]Elin[/name] is a gorgeous name! Best of luck :slight_smile:

So funny, I was just thinking today how the scandal would make the name “[name]Tiger[/name]” off limits for awhile (thank goodness). But [name]Elin[/name] is great. I think that it is traditional enough that people won’t associate it with her, the way that anyone named [name]Tiger[/name] would be called [name]Tiger[/name] Woods or a [name]Paris[/name] would be called [name]Paris[/name] [name]Hilton[/name].

I didn’t know her name, but I could care less. I hate all the “spot-light on celebrities” drama.

I didn’t know her name either. She is just ‘Tigers wife’ to me. It’s safe.

I knew her name, but my family is huge on golf and loves [name]Tiger[/name]. However, I think (hope!) this whole thing will blow over, and it definitely will by [name]Spring[/name] when your baby is due! [name]Elin[/name] is a lovely name and won’t be associated with this scandal or [name]Elin[/name] Nordegen-Woods, so I wouldn’t worry.

Are you pronouncing it like [name]Ellen[/name] or like [name]Elin[/name] (EE-lin), because I personally would only think to pronounce it like [name]Elin[/name] (EE-lin) with this spelling…

Best wishes!

I’ve been following this story closely…so I knew [name]Elin[/name] was her name. I think it’s a big breakout story…I don’t think I would forget [name]Tiger[/name]'s [name]Elin[/name]…and I would make the connection if I knew someone naming their baby this name, sorry.

Yeah I had no idea what his wife’s name was.

So happy to read that everyone agrees it’s ok… my husband and I are planning to name our baby girl [name]Elin[/name] as well (would prefer the Icelandic spelling of [name]El[/name]”n and pronunciation of EHH-leen but that might not go over too well in NJ… ;-D)