IS Elisa pronounced the same as Eliza?

My guess is ,they are pronounced the same way.

I would pronounce them differently.
[name]Elisa[/name] to rhyme with [name]Lisa[/name]
And [name]Eliza[/name] like [name]Eliza[/name]… [name]Eliza[/name] doesn’t really rhyme with anything…
The i in [name]Eliza[/name] is like I as in ‘I am’

Nope.

Either “EE-lees-ah” or “uh-[name]LEE[/name]-sah” vs “uh-LIE-zah.”

I’m not sure how you could get them pronounced the same at all! [name]Elisa[/name] is eh-[name]LEE[/name]-sa and [name]Eliza[/name] is eh-LYE-za.

Thanks irisrose,yeah you’re correct.It’s just I read somewhere recently of eliza ‘spelled with an S’ and this got me curious as to their origins and pronounciations.thanks again.

Ditto the other ladies. I pronounce [name]Elisa[/name] “[name]Ah[/name]-[name]LEE[/name]-sah” and [name]Eliza[/name] “Ee-LIE-zuh”. Totally different.

Yeah, I’m the same as everyone else… “eh-[name]LEE[/name]-sa” vs “eh-LIE-zuh”. They’re both gorgeous, though I prefer [name]Eliza[/name] by a small margin!

I’m an [name]Eliza[/name] and no, completely different! :slight_smile: Although when pronouncing my name in Spanish, it sounds the same.

I would venture to say that are two completely different names.

Thanks for the clarification esp. to Wagnerem ,[name]Elisa[/name] may be the spanish version of [name]Eliza[/name] then.Thanks to all who replied.