Is Evie really a nickname for Genevieve?

I love both [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name] but can’t help feeling that using [name]Evie[/name] as a nickname is kind of cheating (a way of combining two quite distinct names) because you can’t hear ‘[name]Evie[/name]’ within [name]Genevieve[/name]. What do you think? I think most people would be puzzled to discover that her name was really [name]Genevieve[/name] if everyone calls her [name]Evie[/name]. It seems like it might be difficult to alternate between them smoothly.

I think it goes well and easily associated. I love [name]Evie[/name]!

I am also considering [name]Genevieve[/name]. If we pick it our nickname will certainly be [name]Gigi[/name]!

[name]How[/name] are you pronouncing [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Genevieve[/name]? Because they way I say them, [name]Genevieve[/name] ends with [name]Eve[/name], which easily lends itself to [name]Evie[/name]. Actually, I think [name]Evie[/name] is one of the most natural nicknames for [name]Genevieve[/name].

I like [name]Evie[/name] as a nickname for [name]Genevieve[/name], and I would consider using it for a daughter myself. I do understand the problem though, yes ‘[name]Evie[/name]’ is in [name]Genevieve[/name] but when pronounced gen-e-veev you don’t really hear it. Although I don’t think it should stop you from using it. Plently of names have nicknames that don’t come directly from the name, for example…
[name]John[/name] = [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] = [name]Bessy[/name]/[name]Betsy[/name]/[name]Betty[/name] etc
[name]Richard[/name] = [name]Dick[/name]
etc etc.

For me, you can get the nickname [name]Evie[/name] from [name]Genevieve[/name] 2 ways:

As a pp said, the ending of [name]Genevieve[/name] is [name]Eve[/name], so you can derive [name]Evie[/name] from that.

OR

[name]Evie[/name] is right smack-dab in the middle of [name]GenEVIEve[/name].

So yes, I think [name]Evie[/name] is a great nickname for [name]Genevieve[/name]!

My question as well…

I can’t get behind the [name]Jenna[/name]-veev pronunciation. To me, it’s just a butchering of the gorgeous French pronunciation of Genevi”ve. Of course, the name has Germanic roots… I digress…

But I like the French pronunciation of zhuhn-vyehv and I think [name]Evie[/name]… as in the Ev from [name]Evan[/name] is adorable.

I think it’s a great nn for [name]Genevieve[/name]! I have a friend named [name]Genevieve[/name] and she never goes by any nn’s though…It really suits her… Very cool name.

To the pp re: pronounciation…we do have one friend whose ancestry is French who insists on calling her “Zhaan-vee-ehv” but I think there are plenty of Americanized versions of European names…the only difference with this one is that the spelling hasn’t really changed from the original French.

I love [name]Evie[/name], too but I like the idea of using a more formal, non-nn name on the birth certificate.

If you are using the tradition pn, I could see the potention quandry- however- I think [name]Evie[/name] is still a great nn for [name]Genevieve[/name], however you pronounce it, and (I know others disagree) I personally love nicknames that you aren’t positive what the first name is, almost like a secret for those who are close.

What a cool way of looking at that. “A secret”, how fun.

I think it is “cheating” a little bit, but not enough that it’s not permissible. You can see the connection, even if it’s not obvious at first. [name]Genevieve[/name]…e. [name]Evie[/name]. Close enough, and it’s cute.

Help me out! Nameberry - Welcome to the Nameberry Forums

[name]Evie[/name] can be. Like [name]Liz[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]