Is Florence/Flo that bad?

I like [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and my husband could be convinced but he has a strong aversion to nn [name_f]Flo[/name_f] because of truck stop waitress. While nn [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] is cute, [name_f]Flo[/name_f] seems intuitive and unavoidable. I’ve always liked [name_f]Flo[/name_f] and didn’t realize there were issues until I did some research - truck stop waitress and Aunt [name_f]Flo[/name_f]. [name_f]My[/name_f] question is, is it really that bad? Once we start calling her [name_f]Flo[/name_f], won’t we start associating it with her rather than a waitress (or old lady in the case of Florence)? And isn’t Aunt [name_f]Flo[/name_f] kind of immature and ignorable if it is brought up? I’d love outsiders to weigh in so I can see if it’s worth it to convince husband. Thanks!!

1 Like

I don’t personally think it’s bad at all & as you said once/if you want to start calling her that you’ll soon associate it with only her. Plus I can think of far worse NN’s to have.

Maybe you could compromise & have a NN that your husband & other people use while you use [name_f]Flo[/name_f] or the other way around & your husband uses a different NN? There’s nothing wrong with having multiple NN’s or a NN’s that’s special to just one parent :blush:

You could use [name_f]Florence[/name_f] in full. It’s only 2 syllables.

Yes! But as I practice/imagine using it, I catch my self dropping the second half very naturally. [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is just so easy.

1 Like

I’m not sure how popular the term Aunt [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is but there’s definitely the possibilty for teasing there if it’s ever a term that kids her age became aware of and they wanted to tease her. Sure, bringing it up is immature but the people who would are her peers in school who are by default, immature. I don’t know the truck stop waitress and that feels less likely to ever be an issue.

That being said, I love [name_f]Florence[/name_f] and don’t think [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is necessary or inevitiable. I have it on my list with [name_f]Wren[/name_f] as a nickname, other options could be [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Lora[/name_f], [name_f]Lori[/name_f], [name_f]Florie[/name_f], and [name_m]Ren[/name_m] spelled this way.

3 Likes

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is incredibly popular in the UK and I have friends who have daughter’s named [name_f]Florence[/name_f] who are just called [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. I know five Florence’s referred to as just [name_f]Florence[/name_f] (of course only one of these Florence’s is actually my daughter’s friends name) but others either go to my daughter’s preschool, our church, the stables where my daughter’s go riding and frequent the local soft play they all go by [name_f]Florence[/name_f]. So actually I think [name_f]Flo[/name_f] can be avoided. I also think we can determine our child’s nicknames and you can say her nickname is [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] or [name_m]Ren[/name_m] (I love Ren) people will call her by that chosen nickname. Similarly you can have Elizabeth’s known by a variation of different nicknames and will be known exclusively by that name hence having Elizabeth’s called [name_f]Beth[/name_f] or [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] all their lives. Similarly I have a friend with a daughter named Margar3t-R0se whose daughter is known as P3ggy-R0se and honestly I’ve only known her as P3ggy-R0se. So I wouldn’t assume that because your daughter is [name_f]Florence[/name_f] she will be called [name_f]Flo[/name_f].

Moving onto [name_f]Flo[/name_f] this name isn’t my favourite option she does have negative connotation to be honest I hear people refer to menstrual cycles as their visit from ‘aunt Flo’ etc. However despite this negative connotation for me this name has some sweet imagery. [name_f]Flo[/name_f] feels nostalgic, has sweet cottagecore imagery and feels cosy. However if I was to name my daughter [name_f]Florence[/name_f] I would persist with [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] or [name_m]Ren[/name_m] nickname wise.

1 Like

Thank you! Where are you located? I’m in the US and want a name that’s uncommon but established. I think it’s still uncommon in the US but not sure!

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is a beautiful name, and I don’t think [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is unavoidable at all.
I have a longer, formal name, but I’ve been going by the same nickname my entire life (one of many many nickname options for my full name), and nobody has ever called me anything but that nickname. This is because when I was young, my parents pushed that they only wanted to use that nickname, and so it stuck! All it takes is a little dedication to correcting anyone who defaults to an alternative nickname. So, if you like [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_f]Florrie[/name_f], [name_m]Ren[/name_m], or any other nicknames for [name_f]Florence[/name_f], that will totally work imo.
Obviously, keep in mind that when [name_f]Florence[/name_f] is older she might choose to go by [name_f]Flo[/name_f] rather than the nickname you intended.

I’ve known and encountered a number of Florences and only one has gone by [name_f]Flo[/name_f] - I think it is avoidable these days :slight_smile:

I don’t think [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is that bad. I’ve never heard a young person mention ‘Aunt Flo’, but I’m guessing the other association is more personal so I can’t comment on that? I’ll also add that the [name_f]Flo[/name_f] I know is a teen who’s gone through high school with the name :person_shrugging:

Maybe consider some other nicknames: [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_f]Florrie[/name_f], [name_f]Floss[/name_f], [name_m]Ren[/name_m] - so at least you have some alternatives to use?

I agree with the other posters establish the nickname you prefer straight away then it should be a non issue.
On a slightly different tangent you could go with the original Italian name for [name_f]Florence[/name_f]: [name_m]Firenze[/name_m] which would avoid the [name_f]Flo[/name_f] nn altogether and Firey would be an awesome nn or [name_m]Ren[/name_m] again…
Other names similar to [name_f]Florence[/name_f]:
[name_f]Fiorella[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiora[/name_f]

All the best!

I personally wouldn’t shorten [name_f]Florence[/name_f] to [name_f]Flo[/name_f] because it has a different sound in the way I pronounce it – I said FLOR-ence, vs [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is FLOW. The FLOW sound isn’t in [name_f]Florence[/name_f], since [name_f]Flor[/name_f] is the full first syllable. I would naturally shorten to [name_f]Flor[/name_f] or [name_f]Flora[/name_f] I think. It might be totally different in another accent, though!

1 Like

Thank you! [name_m]Firenze[/name_m] is on our list. Hubs prefers Italian spelling of the city [name_m]Firenze[/name_m] (on here it seems to be a boy’s name?), I prefer what I understand to be the original Italian spelling for a person (Fiorenza). One issue is there has been a car Oldsmobile Firenza - but maybe not an issue since it’s an old care? [name_m]Fire[/name_m] is a cool nickname…as is “Fear-a.”

1 Like

Knew a [name_f]Flo[/name_f], it’s absolutely fine. I think of Aunt [name_f]Flo[/name_f] as also quite outdated, as to me it feels like something an old person would say in hushed tones, but definitely not by people your daughters age!

While [name_f]Florence[/name_f] isn’t my thing personally, I think it’s a beautiful name, objectively! I have heard the Aunt [name_f]Flo[/name_f] thing, and I think the fact that it is so juvenile is what concerns many people… but I can’t really conceive [name_f]Flo[/name_f] being unavoidable? I wouldn’t presume to use a nn without verifying it’s okay, and if you don’t use it… I don’t know that the majority of others will, too? [name_f]Florence[/name_f] has a lot of lovely nicknames (Wren, [name_f]Lola[/name_f], and [name_f]Flora[/name_f] are my favorites, but [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] is sweet!), and if you use one consistently, I think it will stick.

Good luck!

I like the name [name_f]Florence[/name_f].
I do think [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is kind of a bad nickname (just because the Aunt [name_f]Flo[/name_f] jokes are immature doesn’t mean they won’t happen and get tiresome very quickly), but that doesn’t ruin [name_f]Florence[/name_f] completely. I would just use a different nickname. [name_f]Flossie[/name_f] is fine. I also like [name_f]Flora[/name_f]. And [name_f]Florence[/name_f] isn’t so long that it necessarily needs a nickname either.

I’m in the UK so our naming styles is a bit different from the states!

[name_f]Florence[/name_f] is an enchanting name! Elegant, colorful, joyful, sweet, regal and gentle. So beautiful! I truly believe it can be used without a nickname, if you wish.
As a nickname, I love [name_f]Flor[/name_f]. [name_f]Flora[/name_f], [name_f]Florie[/name_f], Ren/Wren and [name_f]Flower[/name_f] are also adorable. [name_f]Flo[/name_f] is cute and intuitive. I don’t have any negative opinions about it. I believe the associations that you mentioned are dated. [name_f]My[/name_f] first connection to this name is [name_f]Florence[/name_f] Pugh.

I’d call [name_f]Florence[/name_f] “Lola”.

I’m not particularly fond of [name_f]Florence[/name_f] or [name_f]Flo[/name_f].

Oh, I love that! Thanks :slight_smile:

i think florence is really pretty! as someone above said, the sounds of flo aren’t really there for me. it’s more divided as flor | ence rather than flo | rence. i’d personally call a florence by flora (fleura), florrie (though i’d spell it fleury), or flor (fleur).

i’ve never heard “aunt flo” mentioned amongst my generation or the one below! i really only know it from nameberry :joy: i think flo is completely avoidable and florence in full is definitely

1 Like