Is Genevieve too much?

For baby girl on the way, is [name]Genevieve[/name] just too fancy? Friends think it’s a mouthful.

No i dont think its too much, you could use [name]Gen[/name], [name]Neve[/name] and [name]Viv[/name] as a nickname,

Absolutely not! We vacation every summer with a family who has a daughter named [name]Genevieve[/name]. She is barely three and goes by only [name]Genevieve[/name] - no nickname. I cannot tell you the endless compliments she receives! [name]Don[/name]'t be afraid of a beautiful name like that.

I have to admit that I have some of the same concerns as you about the name [name]Genevieve[/name]. I guess it all comes down to the kind of taste you have in your community. It’s okay for your daughter’s name to be different from her friends, but if all the other kids are [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Katie[/name], and [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name] might come across as a bit pretentious or ‘high falutin’. If the other kids are [name]Georgina[/name], [name]Marguerite[/name], and [name]Natalia[/name], then [name]Genevieve[/name] would fit right in.

I personally don’t think so, and you can use [name]Gen[/name], [name]Genni[/name], or [name]Evie[/name] as nicknames. I don’t know that I’d even nickname it, though…

I know a family of four girls - [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Genevieve[/name], and [name]Madeline[/name] ([name]Becky[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Genni[/name], and [name]Maddie[/name]) - and [name]Genni[/name]'s name is so beautiful and exquisite. I’d love to meet another!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name] so much, and personally don’t think it’s too much at all. I love the [name]Evie[/name] nickname! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I love [name]Genevieve[/name]! I think it’s beautiful.

[name]How[/name] would you pronounce it? The American way or the beautiful French way?

I am not a fan of [name]Jen[/name]-eh-veev.

I am a fan of the French pronuncaition… [name]Zhen[/name]-vee-ev…

[name]Genevieve[/name] is one of the most beautiful names you could ever choose. Ignore those friends and name your baby [name]Genevieve[/name] and your child will thank you and you will never tire of this lovely name.

The nn’s are [name]Vivi[/name] and [name]Gen[/name]

I adore the name [name]Genevieve[/name] :slight_smile:

I knew a girl in elementary school named [name]Genevieve[/name] (and this was in [name]Texas[/name].) It didn’t seem like too much but I do remember it! I think [name]Jen[/name]-e-veev is much more do-able that Jzen-vee-ev, however.

well we are in texas so that is exactly what i was asking the question. nobody will every get the french pronunciation so wouldn’t even try.

Then go for it! If a [name]Genevieve[/name] could work in early 80’s [name]Texas[/name], then it can certainly work now!

I love this name and have considered it for all of my children so far. The one thing I could never get over was the spelling of the nn ‘[name]Gen[/name]’. [name]Just[/name] feels wrong, but it feels more wrong to spell it [name]Jen[/name]. But I still love this name, hope you feel confident using it - so beautiful and definitely not too much!

[name]Genevieve[/name] is so beautiful! I love [name]Ginnie[/name] as a nickname. Though it may not be as practical here in the States, I also adore the French pronunciation jon-vee-ev. The J-sound is almost like a hard SH sound, as in the French name [name]Jacques[/name]. Like…jsha, if that makes sense. Its hard to type out.