Is it important for sibling names to match styles? Your thoughts?

Is it important to you for sibling names to match styles? Would it stand out to you if 2 siblings had very different names stylistically? I’ve just realized my girl’s list has so many differing styles and origins. For instance, if one daughter had a very unisex name would it be weird for another daughter to have a very feminine one? Or if one has a very Irish/Gaelic name, could you use a Greek name for the other?

No, it’s not that important. It can be a deciding factor-if you love two names equally and have an older child, that could be a tiebreaker. I think the only time I’d shy away from a name because of a siblings name is if they’re REALLY different- like [name]Agatha[/name] and Mckynleigh or [name]Jude[/name] (girl) and [name]Violetta[/name]. But names that are just kind of different- [name]Athena[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Carys[/name] and [name]Tatiana[/name], etc.- are fine to use, in my opinion. It’s more important to go with a name you love than one that matches a sibling.

I don’t think it’s important, just another thing to consider. I do kind of like it. My sons’ names match as they are both relatively common anglicised Irish names. My DD’s however is an anglicised Greek flower name.

If we have another I’d like their names to work together but not necessarily to be of similar styles.

Especially if one child is adopted- more than likely the names won’t match unless they are changed to. And names are so important in more ways than one!

After naming my first 3 children I didn’t give ‘matching’ them much thought.
Obvious things naturally eg wouldn’t choose [name]Stephan[/name] and [name]Stephanie[/name]
Later I realised the ‘k’ sound appears somewhere in all their names, but it wasn’t intentional.

I don’t think they have to match. I do think if you followed an obvious pattern for multiple children and one was left out of that pattern it could be an issue.

I don’t think it’s at all important. That said, our first child is [name]Augustus[/name] ([name]Gus[/name]), and we’re seriously considering [name]Josephine[/name] for our second. I like the association of emperor/emperor’s wife. And [name]Gus[/name] and [name]Josie[/name] sound awfully cute together.

Not that important…my sister & I don’t match at all- her name is very classic ([name]Elizabeth[/name]) & mine is [name]Tara[/name]- so kind of less classic/serious? It never bothered us- we have both gone thru phases of liking & disliking our names.

I think it matters in some instances. For example, if you have a frilly and feminine daughter named [name]Clarissa[/name] and then wanted to choose something unisex or boyish like [name]Riley[/name] for her sister, I would find that kind of odd. But many styles can be mixed in a sibset as long as they’re complementary. [name]Abigail[/name] (Biblical), [name]Charlotte[/name] (classic/traditional) and [name]Genevieve[/name] (French) would be a fine sibset. That’s why it’s so important to find a “style” that best represents you because the name you choose for your firstborn often determines what you name any future children.

I dont think it matters, I wouldnt hesistate to have a Athénaïs and [name]Myriam[/name] sibset though they are different in every way.

[name]IMO[/name] children grow up and spend a majority of their lives as individuals instead of part of a “sibset” so it’s not something to be overly concerned about.

My ear loves to hear matchy sibsets but my brain says choosing a name you love is far more important. For most of a person’s life, they will not be referred to as the other part of a sibset, so matching is not necessary.

I think as long as they are well paired in “attractiveness” to the ear and rough ballpark of familiarity (NOT the same thing as popularity necessarily) it’s fine. I know one sibset where, to save privacy I’ll use similar names, but the two names were comparable to [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Mildred[/name]. You can imagine which one experienced more name teasing, more people not hearing her name right, etc. She has made peace with her name now but for a very long time she felt her parents had shortchanged her.