Is It Just Me?

My best friend found out recently that she’s pregnant(!), due at the end of [name]July[/name]. While I am obviously thrilled for her, I can’t bring myself to like the names they’ve decided on.
For a boy:
[name]Hunter[/name] [name]Lawrence[/name]

For a girl:
[name]Camden[/name] [name]Eileen[/name]

I know it’s not my place to pass judgement on what they decide, but the two of us were making name lists together since we were eleven! While I guess I can see the appeal of [name]Hunter[/name], she’s a VEGAN!! Someone please tell me how this makes sense. [name]Camden[/name] I can accept, despite it’s trendy sound, but [name]Hunter[/name] I can’t seem to get past.

Well sometimes a name isn’t about the meaning and simply about the sound. There are a few names that have weird or negative meanings that are still popular such as [name]Blaise[/name]- stutters, [name]Calvin[/name]- little bald one, [name]Cillian[/name] - war/strife, [name]Hamlet[/name] - foolish & dull etc.

[name]Hunter[/name] can be defined as someone who seeks something such a treasure hunter or simply a seeker of the truth.

Hunting doesn’t necessarily mean killing, it just means looking for stuff. It’s also a surname (maybe not in her family tree, perhaps her husband’s? or not). As in the case of some meanings of names not being that great, in this case, [name]Hunter[/name] is a word in the English language, so the meaning is not obscured, and most people’s association is one of the violent meaning usually, not the general meaning of seeking, but she’s the vegan here, and she would have noticed if she thought there was anything inappropriate about it.

Funny if you had said for a girl she was thinking of calling her Carnie. That doesn’t mean what I’m implying it means… pretty sure. [name]Carney[/name] means “victory” and Carnie appears to be a nn for [name]Cornelia[/name], which doesn’t even mean corn, it means “horn,” or a nn for [name]Carina[/name], maybe, which means “beloved.” Other names that are safe for vegans are [name]Demetria[/name], [name]Hamish[/name], [name]Lamar[/name], [name]Henrietta[/name], [name]Willard[/name], [name]Minka[/name], [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name], [name]Patty[/name], [name]Frank[/name], [name]Chuck[/name], and [name]Barbie[/name]. Names that are not appropriate for vegans are Lemonjello, Oranjello, [name]Sable[/name], and Salad ([name]Lettice[/name] is ok). I went to school with someone named Baycan (I think he was Hungarian?), but it was pronounced By-zhan.

Sorry to derail your thread, I’m feeling a little silly. :slight_smile:

When I had my son, I was 25. I loved the name [name]Hunter[/name] back then. Fortunately my husband didn’t like it, because now I don’t like it that much. It’s funny how our tastes change.

I like [name]Hunter[/name]

I don’t like [name]Camden[/name] for a girl. [name]Hunter[/name] is alright, but it is kind of funny since she’s vegan. Maybe she didn’t think of that?

It’s not just you. I don’t like the names either. That said, the issue here really isn’t the names (since it’s not really your place to change her mind) but rather how you’re going to find a way to embrace these names before this child is born. A couple of suggestions: 1) Ask your friend (without judgment) why she chose the names. You might learn something about the naming process her and her husband went through, like a personal meaning or significance they attach to these names, that makes you see the names in a new light. 2) Start thinking of fun nicknames or terms of endearment you can call the new baby.

Personally [name]Camden[/name] is too trendy for me. I like [name]Hunter[/name] but I don’t love it and wouldn’t use it myself. However, I realize not everyone has the same tastes and if we did, all our kids would have the same name! LOL

You never know, the names may grow on you once you meet the child and watch them grow up. Many names I have not loved in the past, I came to like once I met a baby with the same name.