Is it really that bad?

I met up with one of my childhood best friends a while ago and we were discussing baby names as she is TTC with her partner. We both said how we find it much harder to find a boy’s name that we love instead of ones that we just like, and she asked me what I’d name a baby boy if I had one, and I told her the only combo I have that I love is Elio Percy. She quite literally spat her drink out laughing and said I could never be so cruel as to name a baby that, especially with Percy as a middle name.

I don’t usually let the opinions of others affect me much at all, but this really bothered me for some reason and I can’t get it out of my head. I really don’t love any other boys names and there are alternative middle names that I like aside from Percy, but is it really that bad?!

4 Likes

Oh no I’m so sorry that happened! People can be so rude. I truly think [name_m]Elio[/name_m] [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is such a handsome combo! I can’t figure out why she would say that would be “cruel” ??? Try not to let her reaction get to you too much, her name style is probably only names in the Top 10 (Oliver, [name_u]Noah[/name_u] etc.) Not that there’s anything wrong with those names either, just much more common than your names

13 Likes

Oh, not at all! That’s a totally reasonable name! I wouldn’t think twice if I met a child with that name. I’ve worked in child care and, first of all, basically no name is surprising because parents are going more off the beaten path lately. But this wouldn’t even cross my mind as one of the more unusual names I’ve encountered.

It’s very nice!

13 Likes

Elio Percy is so lovely! (i would 100% use it myself, honestly!)

Her comment was completely unwarranted and makes no sense. Like Lu said, she probably only likes really popular names, so anything below the top 50 seems strange to her

10 Likes

I think it’s lovely! If you’re not going super common with a name I think you just have to accept it’s going to rub some people the wrong way. I’ve let go of trying to please everyone with a name and really want to name a child something I personally love and will be happy to hear and say and write down over and over again my whole life. I think [name_m]Elio[/name_m] is goorgeous and I like [name_u]Percy[/name_u] too. Both with a mythological bent which is nice.

5 Likes

elio percy is stunning, i have both elio and perseus/percy on my shortlist (like you, they’re pretty much the only two boys names that i love). it must have be so frustrating to hear that. i’d try not to worry too much, though, it’s perfectly reasonable and so handsome.

4 Likes

elio percy is stunning! i’m so sorry they said that, i think that it’s a great choice, and i’d use either name in a heartbeat. i would be so lucky to have that name, and i think any child of yours would too!

i don’t think it’s bad at all–it’s so lovely. <3

4 Likes

I’m so sorry about your friend’s reaction :pensive: Please, don’t be sad!!
Sometimes people are not used, never heard or never met someone with a certain name and they find it strange at the beginning. Sometimes they just don’t know how to react to a different name/sound. :confused:

[name_m]Elio[/name_m] [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is a wonderful name! :blue_heart: I really like it!! [name_m]Elio[/name_m] and [name_u]Percy[/name_u] are both very sweet and charming names. This combination is radiant, cool, unexpected and elegant. It makes me imagine a sunset close to an ocean, a river ou lake :sunny::sunrise::ocean:
Both names are uncommon but easily recognized and pronounce. Because of those aspects, I would say this combo has a very international feel. I can easily imagine an [name_m]Elio[/name_m] [name_u]Percy[/name_u] of any generation!

3 Likes

Elio Percy is a very nice name and I especially love, love, Elio. I’m sorry that happened to you but I hope you can move on from her rude reaction and stay with what you like. Just a note to consider, many people choose to keep their chosen name a surprise, as we did, to avoid reactions that cause us to question our choice or shake our confidence. After baby’s arrival and upon meeting him/her, I doubt people would feel the need to react any way but positively at that sweet little bundle.

4 Likes

No, it’s not bad. It probably just bothered you because it was incredibly rude, that in itself can be upsetting. People are often quite rude without thinking, especially when they don’t understand that they’re even being rude. [name_m]Even[/name_m] going so far as to have a dramatic reaction like that… Perhaps choosing her own baby names and finding that she has feelings regarding them will give her a little perspective and… it could be that in the future she will be a bit more controlled in her reactions. I’m sorry you had a negative experience in sharing a name. I find honestly it’s best only to share name ideas with one’s partner and then once it’s on the birth certificate… People don’t typically feel like they can influence your decisions with their opinions after things are all on paper. Good luck with your plans, I hope everyone else has better manners if you choose to share any top name ideas with them.

5 Likes

…what IS wrong with [name_m]Elio[/name_m] Percy?!

4 Likes

I’m blown away by what a kind, thoughtful and wonderful reply this is. All of the replies in this thread have been so kind, and this one really made me smile. Thank you :heart::sparkles:

4 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m so happy that I was able to help you :blush:

3 Likes

I don’t think its spit out drink worthy at all. Its fine! To be honest I don’t love either name. (Maybe [name_m]Elio[/name_m] could grow on me and [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is just too [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] for me.) It sounds like your friend just wasn’t taking it as seriously as you. Definitely don’t worry about it.

4 Likes

What a big reaction! I think that’s a charming name. I’m sorry you were laughed at. I like Elio Percy - those names are both very nice!

3 Likes

I absolutely love the name Elio and even though I’m not a huge fan of Percy, I don’t at all think your friend’s response was warranted. Some people just don’t get more unusual names and tend to scoff at them rather than actually think about them and give them a chance. I truly wouldn’t worry, it’s a lovely name.

If you are interested in alternative middles, some I like with Elio are:

Elio Rafferty
Elio Jude
Elio Bastian
Elio Caspar
Elio Felix
Elio Valentine
Elio Henry
Elio Jasper
Elio Maximilian
Elio Flynn
Elio Wilfred
Elio Soren
Elio Maxwell
Elio Theodore
Elio Xander
Elio Miles

But really, Elio Percy is a fantastic name.

3 Likes

It’s a perfectly acceptable name with no negative meaning. Sounds like your friend is only familiar with common, widespread names.

I’d love to be named [name_m]Elio[/name_m] [name_u]Percy[/name_u]!

5 Likes

That is very rude. I had a similar situation happen last year when I was pregnant with my second. I told one of my very close friends our boy name and she started laughing. I was like umm what’s so funny? You’re really laughing at my baby’s name? Our boy name is not at all common so wasn’t the first time I got a less than pleasant response but laughing is so rude! We didn’t use the name only because baby ended up being a girl but we will definitely be using it if we ever have our boy. I am so sorry that happened but don’t let that discourage you.Your name choice is lovely!

6 Likes

[name_m]Elio[/name_m] [name_u]Percy[/name_u] is beautiful!! It’s so sunny and cool!

3 Likes

That is horrible! I had something similar happen to me while I was pregnant with my last angel baby… I cried and was so sad for weeks… I’m sorry this happened to you! :sweat::heartbeat:

I love [name_m]Elio[/name_m] Percy!! If you love it and use it you’ll never go wrong.

5 Likes