Is it too strange?

[name]Hi[/name] everyone. Hubby and I are stuck on names and I’m almost 31 weeks now. I was thinking today about the name Eastlin for our little girl but I can’t find it on any searches whichI guess means I just made it up (Pregnancy brain is such a mystery). So I was wondering is it too strange to have a made up name? our son is [name]Greyson[/name] do [name]Greyson[/name] and Eastlin go together? Thanks for your help I still haven’t asked my hubby about it yet but since things have been so crazy for us I figured I wouldn’t bother bringing it up if it is too weird.

People have been making up names for centuries - just look at [name]Shakespeare[/name] - nowadays however it is seen as trendy in society, but if you can live with that then why not? Personally not fond of [name]East[/name] on either gender though I do like [name]North[/name] and [name]West[/name] on boys, I think it’s because it reminds me of the male name [name]Easton[/name]. I prefr the spelling [name]Eastlyn[/name] which looks prettier albeit even more trendy! With a traditional middle name I think Eastlin / [name]Eastlyn[/name] could work; she’d definitely be the only one in her class at least! :slight_smile:

I think it is a little out there for a girl. If I saw siblings [name]Greyson[/name] and Eastlin I would think they are both boys. Some suggestions

[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Aislinn[/name] (ash-linn)
[name]Caitlin[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Josselyn[/name]

I like it. I would just make sure her middle name was fairly feminine -ideas:
Eastlin [name]Melody[/name]
[name]Eastlyn[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
Eastlin [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Eastlyn[/name] [name]McKenna[/name]

It sounds made-up to me. I think the “STL” sound gets kind of muddy/tongue-twistery.
[name]Aisling[/name] (prefer with this spelling) [name]Caitlin[/name], and [name]Jocelyn[/name] (prefer with this spelling) are great suggestions.

[name]Liesl[/name]
[name]Leslie[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Myrtle[/name]
[name]Ursula[/name]
[name]Roslyn[/name]/[name]Rosalind[/name]

I think of [name]Easton[/name] or Estlin straight away, which are both boys’ names, to my knowledge. Estlin was the second “E” for E.E. Cummings (who I adore!). I love Estlin for that reason, but I’m not sure it’s very usable on a girl (although it sort of sounds like a smoosh of [name]Esther[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name] or [name]Esther[/name] and [name]Caitlin[/name]). I suppose Eastlin could work, but it’s not to my taste personally. I would expect [name]Greyson[/name] and Eastlin (or [name]Easton[/name]) to be brothers more than brother and sister.

Good luck!

I prefer [name]Eastlyn[/name], it’s very pretty (:

I’m not a huge fan of Eastlin. [name]Easton[/name] is much easier to spell and pronounce, but it does have a fairly masculine vibe and I’m not sure people would understand your children weren’t both boys. Have you considered [name]Ainsley[/name] or Eisley? [name]Both[/name] have some of the same letters and sounds, and came to mind immediately for some reason.

I like it, and think they go together.

Hmm…
Eastlin feels really strange and reminds me of oestrogen. I also think Eastlin sounds strange with [name]Greyson[/name] as [name]Greyson[/name] is a very masculine name and not really unisex so I would say that it would be best too use a more feminine choice for your daughter and not a name that is unisex.
Suggestions:
Aishling -
[name]Greyson[/name] & Aishling

[name]Evelyn[/name] -
[name]Greyson[/name] & [name]Evelyn[/name]

[name]Willow[/name] -
[name]Greyson[/name] & [name]Willow[/name]

[name]Amira[/name] -
[name]Greyson[/name] & [name]Amira[/name]

[name]Esther[/name] -
[name]Greyson[/name] & [name]Esther[/name]

[name]Athena[/name] -
[name]Greyson[/name] & [name]Athena[/name]

xxx

[name]Easton[/name] is at least a name.

[name]Eastlyn[/name] is not my style, but it is adorable, albeit trendy.

I would definitely use a classic, feminine name for the middle.

[name]Eastlyn[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Eastlyn[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Eastlyn[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Eastlyn[/name] [name]Marie[/name]
[name]Eastlyn[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

There is a scandivian model called [name]Iselin[/name] which I think is gorgeous!
It has similar sounds to Eastlin and is unique too.

[name]Love[/name] Isalin/ [name]Iselin[/name]/ [name]Isaline[/name] with [name]Greyson[/name].

I don’t think it’s too strange in some respects - it’s easy to read for example. I do think people will have a hard time hearing it - you might want to try it out at Starbucks and see what people hear? I also think [name]Eastlyn[/name] is a preferable spelling. It’s not bad with [name]Greyson[/name] but it is kind of setting a pattern, both have a word + a common name suffix, both are two syllables and end in n. If you have another child they’ll be breaking the pattern or really setting a strong one.

I don’t know if it’s appropriate for your religion, but [name]Easter[/name] has been given periodically as a girls’ name, I think it’s very pretty, much easier to hear, and more different from [name]Greyson[/name]. From how far along you are she’ll be born a good bit after [name]Easter[/name], but still a spring baby (unless my math is failing me, which it might be?).

Good luck whatever you decide!

I think it will be mistaken with [name]Easton[/name] a lot, which is predominantly a boys name. Also, with a brother named [name]Greyson[/name], I’d assume Eastlin was another boy.

I also like it with a y. [name]Eastlyn[/name]. No question then as to sex.

Also like the suggestion of [name]Athena[/name].

That said, I dont think anything’s too weird if you love it!

I’d still assume [name]Eastlyn[/name] was a boy because of how close it is to [name]Easton[/name]…

I do not like made up names at all. Eastlin looks/sounds very made up. I am also not a fan of tacking on -lyn or -lin to regular worlds/names. [name]Easton[/name] is a great name. My opinion would be to choose [name]Easton[/name]. Sorry!

It’s not really my style, but more than that, I agree with a previous poster about the “stl” sound. It’s a bit tricky to say and seems to require over-pronouncing it in order for it to be clear.

I will come out and say I dislike it, but I also dislike most of trendy names invented by taking a word or syllable and tacking -lee or -lyn to the end. It sounds very similar to the male name [name]Easton[/name], which is currently at an all-time high in popularity and rising quickly. If I heard [name]Greyson[/name] & Eastlin I would assume both were boys. [name]Love[/name] the suggestion of [name]Iselin[/name].