Is Jack S. a bad idea?

If our baby is a boy, [name]Jack[/name] is one of the names we are considering. However, we realize that this is a popular name right now and he may be called [name]Jack[/name] S. (our LN starts with S) if there is another [name]Jack[/name] in his class. Is [name]Jack[/name] S. terrible?

I’m really really really not fond of [name]Jack[/name] S. but I’m sure if you were to talk to the teacher before hand, some other nickname could be worked out. And just that one setback isn’t much of a reason to not use your favorite name! I say go for it! [name]Just[/name] be cautious with the last name letter S. :slight_smile:

Are you saying in reference to Jackass? If so I didn’t even get it until I kept looking for a negative reason. The only thing that came to mind first was Jacks.

There’s nothing wrong with it imo. I’m not sure where you are in [name]Canada[/name], but where I am there’s not a single [name]Jack[/name] around that’s schoolage.

Its obviously not great but I think that it could work. I mean if its your all time favourite name then yeah, sure go for it. I’m sure your child will be able to rise above the bullies (but I honestly don’t think its that bad). Actually it took me a while to figure out why you were thinking it was bad, aha! Maybe Im just slow…:confused:

[name]Bree[/name]

I think it’s avoidable, but something to be aware of…If you see another [name]Jack[/name] in the class, he could use a different nn or initials or whatnot.

If you wanted a bit of an insurance policy against that problem, maybe use [name]Jackson[/name] or [name]John[/name] and call him [name]Jack[/name]? That way if another little [name]Jack[/name] is ever in his classroom/team/etc, he could be [name]Jackson[/name] or [name]John[/name] or something other than an automatic [name]Jack[/name] S.

(Sidenote: I have this issue too! Top girls name DH and I agree on is [name]Penelope[/name], last initial is that horrid S. [name]Penelope[/name] S. is fine, [name]Lola[/name] S., [name]Penny[/name] S. is borderline, but if it ever got shortened to [name]Pen[/name]…[name]Pen[/name] S.?? Ugh I convinced myself I’m overthinking…)

I think it’s fine, if you were to go through a phonebook or something similar I’m sure you would find plenty of [name]Jack[/name] S.
If there was a joke to be made I think it’s the kind that goes over a little kids head and older kids don’t really care about.

You could also give him a name where [name]Jack[/name] is a nn if that is a concern. [name]John[/name], [name]Jonathan[/name], [name]Jackson[/name] etc.

Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it! This baby is 7 days late and I’m sure I’m just way over thinking things at this point! Our combo would be [name]Jack[/name] [name]Thomas[/name] so I’m sure if the situation comes up he could always use JT.
Thanks again!

[name]One[/name] more thing I just thought of, you could tell a teacher about your concern and ask that they use your full last name and say “jack smith” if they need to.

I have a [name]Jack[/name] and since I was [name]Jenn[/name] P for alot of my life I really didn’t want him to be [name]Jack[/name] F. When I was is HS I started going by [name]Jenn[/name] [name]Lauren[/name] which worked great. So when I named [name]Jack[/name] I made sure I gave him a combo I liked enough for him to use instead of [name]Jack[/name] F – [name]Jack[/name] [name]Louis[/name]. Ofcourse we have yet to have another [name]Jack[/name] in his class, only one [name]Jackson[/name] is his camp group this year so that wasnt a big deal. SO my advice is to give him a fn/nn middle combo that works well as full name for school.

I love the name [name]Jack[/name] probably even more now than when I first named him. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Ha - I understand the tendency, but think that you’re overthinking it. [name]Jack[/name] is a great name! Only when he’s really young will he ever be referred to as [name]Jack[/name] S. (which said properly sounds really different from [name]JAck[/name]*ass). Surely nobody his age will pick up on the reference. If anything, kids in middle/high school will tease him. But, at that age, if it isn’t one thing soliciting the teases, it is another thing! Everyone gets made fun of at that age for something!!

I think it’s a good idea to pick a middle name that could possibly be used as a double name or an initial thing like JT. I don’t think that [name]Jack[/name] is so wildly popular that you’re guaranteed to have a double. You just never know. In my daughter’s PK class, there are two little girls who go by the nickname Chichi! [name]Imagine[/name] that, two chichis in 18 kids! It’s bizarre. I think we spend all this time and thought naming our kids and sometimes you just can’t predict these things.

If it were me I would avoid [name]Jack[/name], because even [name]Jack[/name] S. might do it!!! But it depends how popular it is in your area and how many kids his age will share his name.

I was in a class with 3 [name]Sarah[/name]'s, each of their last names started with B. Beem, [name]Bowman[/name], Brecken (made up last names for example) Our poor teacher! The girls ended up being called Beem, [name]Bowman[/name], and Brecken in the class so everyone could differentiate between them.

Occasionally someone would yell [name]Sarah[/name] and then all 3 will be confused because they didn’t know which [name]Sarah[/name]…

What’s worse was I was friends with all 3!!! So even in our group they were only known by their last name. None really mind, but it got confusing when someone said [name]Sarah[/name] and then we think it’s Beem, but then we get a “No, the other [name]Sarah[/name]” and then we think [name]Bowman[/name], and then their like “Brecken!” lol! It’s funny at first, but after awhile it got annoying so we mostly called them Beem,[name]Bowman[/name], and Brecken.