Is Jasper too Twilighty?

I decided that DH and I have way too many girl names and almost no boy names that we both like, so I’ve been brainstorming. I like [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], and he said that he maybe likes it, which is as close as I can usually get with him because he needs time to mull things over before he likes them. That said, I’m probably just going to need to make a list of boy names that I like and he “maybe” likes and then let him ponder them a while, haha.

Is [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] too reminiscent of Twilight? I have never read Twilight and I plan to keep it that way, but I want to know if the name is too associated with the series to be usable.

I’m open to other ideas too! Hubby tends to like very boring classic names, nothing too out there. I tend to like unique but not totally unheard of names, sometimes old classics, often fairly romantic sounding, but strong. We have 11 letters and 3 syllables in our last name so I try to avoid names that have lots of letters. Our “maybe” list right now includes [name_u]Dexter[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], and [name_m]Finnian[/name_m].

I’ve sat through a film as well, and I don’t know/remember who [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] was. I think names of more minor characters like [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f] are fine; it’s only the three leading interests that will be tied to Twilight for the next few years.

I don’t love the name [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] myself, it’s just not quite my style, but I think the nn [name_u]Jazz[/name_u] would be so cute for a little boy :smiley:

NO! [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is not too Twilighty!(That clearly needed to be this emphasized.)
I think [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is amazing! I [name_f]ADORE[/name_f] the name and would be in my top 5 list if it didn’t so idiotic in Spanish and [name_m]German[/name_m]. (We are a tri-lingual household so the name sounding the same/very similar in all three languages is extremely important to me).

[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is an absolutely wonderful name that is much too strong to be ruined by just a book series, especially not Twilight. I say go for it! If hubby doesn’t like it, maybe used as a middle?

I agree, think the Twilight association is on the way out, especially by the time the little guy is in school.

Also, if you are looking for another [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] association, there is an absolutely incredible area in the [name_m]Rocky[/name_m] Mountains - [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], [name_f]Canada[/name_f]. One of the most beautiful places in the world.

As someone who has never read the books or seen the movies, I did not recognize [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] as a Twilight name. I only know [name_f]Bella[/name_f] (really unfortunate), [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], and [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] (?). I would guess that most non-fans are like me - they haven’t been able to escape knowing the names of the leads, but the names of the lesser characters have probably never come up.

I have never read Twilight or seen the movies either… so I can’t answer the Twilight question.
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is cute tho!
I also like your suggestion of [name_m]Vincent[/name_m]- always been a favorite of mine. It’s just so handsome and masculine.

I read the first book and saw the first movie, at the urging of my younger sister. Three hours of my life wasted, and I’ll never get them back.

Anyway, to answer you question, no, I don’t think [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is too connected to Twilight; in fact, if you hadn’t mentioned it, I never would have thought of it at all. I love [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], and I think (if you can get the husband on board) you should use it.

I’ve read the books and watched some of the movies (to make fun of them, in my defense), and I don’t really associate it with [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]. I get really excited whenever I see [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], and barely give a thought to Twilight. It has great roots, and I would go for it if I were you. No one bats an eye at a [name_f]Bella[/name_f] or an [name_f]Alice[/name_f] or a [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] or an [name_u]Emmett[/name_u], why is [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] different?

Twilight has some great names, and I’m going to admit to be in the minority and say I loved the books when I read them when I was 15. [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is also a great character, so it’s not like it’s horrible if someone brings it up, which they probably won’t. I do love the name! Aside from the made up [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f], none of the names in Twilight are specifically tied to that franchise and have been used plenty before and after the series.

I’m very familiar with the Twilight series, and I don’t think of it at all when I hear the name [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] unless someone asks about it specifically. I think it is very usable and the best name on your list.

See, if you’d’ve asked me 5 years ago when I was 15 and reading said books (a sin I’ve paid for since) then yes, I might’ve said my first thought was Twilight. BUT, when I first found nameberry about 6+ months ago, [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] was a name I spotted and fell in love with and it wasn’t until very recently that I remembered that there was a character called [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] in the books.

The point of that story being, no, I don’t think its instantly associated with the books. It’s a gorgeous name, don’t be afraid to use it.

Hahah… I liked Twilight when I was 14, though when people started to point out the mistakes, I was quickly swayed to the other side.

I don’t think [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] is Twilight-associated. More the main characters, [name_m]Edward[/name_m], [name_f]Bella[/name_f] and [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] - and that’s going away in a few years, well it’s going away right now. Books and movies are finished, there’s nothing to promote them - and [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] was never important in the books.

I think it’s fine! Twilight’s on the way out, he’s a fairly minor character and it’s a classic, traditional name. Twilight isn’t the first thing I think of when I hear [name_m]Jasper[/name_m]! I actually think [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] [name_m]Meyer[/name_m] has good taste and used a great set of classic names - apart from [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f]! I wouldn’t hesitate to use [name_f]Esme[/name_f]!